JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for some advice about getting a CPL in Washington. I am an Oregon resident and have an Oregon CHL, but I want to be able to carry in WA as well. Has anyone here gotten an out of state CPL from WA? Are the Clark County Sheriffs good about issuing them or would I have better luck in Cowlitz or another county? I believe that out of state permits are issued at the discretion of the local sheriff, so I want to make sure I go to a county where it will not be denied simply because the local sheriff doesn't like the idea of armed citizens.

Im a Washington resident with both Oregon and Washington permits. I have many friends that are Oregon residents that have them. You need to go to the Clark County Sheriff office in downtown Vancouver and apply for one. They are 65 dollar if i remember right and you do not have to take any classes. It will take about 3-4 weeks to get in the mail.

I am looking for some advice about getting a CPL in Washington. I am an Oregon resident and have an Oregon CHL, but I want to be able to carry in WA as well. Has anyone here gotten an out of state CPL from WA? Are the Clark County Sheriffs good about issuing them or would I have better luck in Cowlitz or another county? I believe that out of state permits are issued at the discretion of the local sheriff, so I want to make sure I go to a county where it will not be denied simply because the local sheriff doesn't like the idea of armed citizens.

Just come on over the border and apply, no big deal. Shall Issue State one of the easiest ones to get. No training requirement, just NICS and the other background checks. Call closest police dept in WA to you and ask them if you need an appointment to apply. Bring your money and ID with you, takes about 3 to 4 weeks to get it in the mail

One other comment. Response below your initial post said to get an AZ or UT permit. I agree but the AZ permit is NOT valid in WA so go with UT permit. I have an AZ, OR and WA permit and I’m a WA resident. Come and get your permit! -G

gcban,

I don't think WA is shall issue for out of state permits, but I may be wrong. That's why I asked. I know some counties in Oregon choose not to issue out of state permits, while some will give them to anyone that meets the qualifications.

gcban,

I don't think WA is shall issue for out of state permits, but I may be wrong. That's why I asked. I know some counties in Oregon choose not to issue out of state permits, while some will give them to anyone that meets the qualifications.

Not the same thing here. I have friends who live in Alaska, Nevada, even California who have WA permits and my daughter who lives in AZ has one. You have to apply in person but WA is not like Oregon where they want a letter from Out of State applicants stating why you would like an OR permit. Come and get it! -G

Definately look into the UT permit. It's pretty painless to get and covers you for something like 30 states, including WA and ID. You have to take a UT specific course but several local instructors offer them. I took my course from the Jacobe group in Salem and they did everything on the spot, including taking the picture and mailing your application in. I don't remember exactly but it probably was about 6 or 7 weeks to receive the permit.

I have taken the class for the Utah permit, but the states I could carry in with it, I am not that likely to be going to very often. I will probably get it at some point just to have it, but I am in no rush. I mostly travel in WA and OR. I travel to California too, but I don't even bring a gun when I go there because of the hassle. They are crazy down there.

I have taken the class for the Utah permit, but the states I could carry in with it, I am not that likely to be going to very often. I will probably get it at some point just to have it, but I am in no rush. I mostly travel in WA and OR. I travel to California too, but I don't even bring a gun when I go there because of the hassle. They are crazy down there.

Utah has reciprocity with Washington State so you'd be covered there. I agree, I think CA is a lost cause.

WA is shall issue, no training or anything else required. $55.25 apply at ANY sheriff's office. WA gives the Sheriff 30 days for a resident permit, and 60 days for a non-resident permit. Some Sheriffs are better at getting the license out early (less than 30/60 day max) than others.

Oh yes, one other thing. They will give you a bulletin with the gun laws put out by F&W. Very wise to read and study while you wait. BTW: Unlicensed OC is legal everywhere licensed CC is legal...except for no unlicensed (OC or CC) loaded in a vehicle.

Unlicensed OC is legal everywhere licensed CC is legal...except for no unlicensed (OC or CC) loaded in a vehicle.
In WA if you have a loaded pistol in your vehicle it is considered CC no matter if you are wearing openly. This applies to anything considered a motor vehicle in WA, including motorcycles, riding mowers (if on a public road, guy got busted on this one going from one field to another) tractors (if on public road).

As a Portlander, I never even checked how many extra states (including Washington) come with the Utah permit, or which ones. Makes me want to find out and take a big road trip, just because I can!

Skip Clark County Sheriffs office...Drive down the road to Camas PD, call them first and tell them what you want. Unlike Oregon, PD's in Washington can issue permits too. Pick a sleepy little town, and they are VERY pleasant to work with.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top