JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a resident of Oregon but I spend 9 months of the year in Spokane, WA going to school. I live in a pretty bad part of town and am looking to get a non-resident CPL. My question is can they send the cpl to my address in WA or does it have to go to my home address? I am thinking that it does have to go to my place in Oregon but am just wondering.

I got one in 2007 and renewed it in 2012. I live in California. you have to apply in person, but they will mail the permit to your resident address. Mine goes to my PO Box in the Sacramento area. At least that's how Snohomish County Sheriff handles it.

You would be better off getting a non-resident Utah permit. It is valid in Washington as well as 34 other states. Much better value for the money than a non-resident WA permit. When I got mine I took my class and got fingerprinted locally and then sent everything by mail to Utah. About 45 days later my permit came in the mail. I have never even been to Utah.

At the time, I was a retired California law enforcement officer (LEO). But my department was constantly revising the HR-218 procedures and had a number of temporary halts in issuing the qualification card. My daughter had just moved to Washington, so it was easiest to get a Washington CPL. After the move and getting the WA CPL, I started working as a retired annuniant for California Exposition and State Fair Police. We were considered 24/7 LEOs because of the scheduling and work hours. So that eliminated the need for retired HR-218 and CPLs. Due to California's budget problems, retired annuniants got dropped from all agencies, and I haven't been able to schedule a shoot with my former department. So I renewed the WA CPL.

You would be better off getting a non-resident Utah permit. It is valid in Washington as well as 34 other states. Much better value for the money than a non-resident WA permit. When I got mine I took my class and got fingerprinted locally and then sent everything by mail to Utah. About 45 days later my permit came in the mail. I have never even been to Utah.

if I recall rightly It is only valid in WA if he has an Utah resident permit since WA has formal reciporcity with Utah.

Wrong!

WA non-resident license is $52.25, no special training required, apply at any Sheriff's office. They will mail you the license, by law, in less than 60 days,,,usually MUCH less than 60 days...much less hassel or expense than any other state WA will recognize. You do have to apply in person though, so they can watch you sign and take your fingerprints...in Okanogan county takes about 15 minutes, permit in 2 to 4 days.

You also have the option to Open Carry. Only restriction is loaded in a vehicle without a license, and there are exceptions to that too. RCW 9.41.050 and RCW 9.41.060

Wrong!

WA non-resident license is $52.25, no special training required, apply at any Sheriff's office. They will mail you the license, by law, in less than 60 days,,,usually MUCH less than 60 days...much less hassel or expense than any other state WA will recognize. You do have to apply in person though, so they can watch you sign and take your fingerprints...in Okanogan county takes about 15 minutes, permit in 2 to 4 days.

You also have the option to Open Carry. Only restriction is loaded in a vehicle without a license, and there are exceptions to that too. RCW 9.41.050 and RCW 9.41.060

The Utah nonresident permit is a better value than the WA nonresident permit because of the number of states that honor it. Also, if you can find an instructor who does the class on the weekends or in the evening, you will not have to take any time off of work to go in to a sheriffs office.

The OP lives in Oregon; so assuming that he already has a resident Oregon CHL, if he got a Utah nonresident permit he would be able to carry in 34 states, versus only 27 with a WA nonresident permit.Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

When I got my Utah nonresident permit, I was able to skip the live-fire part of the training class (saving time and money) because I already had my Oregon CHL and Utah recognizes the Oregon training as being adequate. I took the written/video portion of the class from a local instructor/FFL in about 2 hours on a Saturday morning, and he also took my fingerprints and photo at the same time. I mailed everything in to Utah and had my permit about 45 days later. IIRC it wound up being about $140 total for the class, the background check, the fingerprint fee and the permit itself.

The Utah nonresident permit is a better value than the WA nonresident permit because of the number of states that honor it....

if he got a Utah nonresident permit he would be able to carry in 34 states, versus only 27 with a WA nonresident permit.Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

It's only a better value if you plan on carrying in those 7 extra states. I have OR and WA and that lets me carry where I go, with the exception of CA and FL. Having a Utah permit wouldn't help me with either of those states anyhow.

Greg

I did check. FL doesn't honor any non-resident permits. Why else would I say WA doesn't let me carry in FL?

Because they just started honoring Washington permits in the last year or so and not everyone diligently keeps up on the laws. The change could have happened since you last checked. I know I don't check FL reciprocity status very often.

The OP should read the RCW carefully. I justed moved to WA but applied as a 'non resident' since all my id was Oregon. They mailed it to my WA address however. The issue I see is that he is a WA resident 9 months of the year, and there is something in the RCW about a 'resident' being required to have a WA permit, not a Utah or wherever. ( I was thinking to just do a Utah as well until I read the RCWs). So he may be considered a WA resident while he is here. Legal gray area I would be sure of...

The Utah nonresident permit is a better value than the WA nonresident permit because of the number of states that honor it. Also, if you can find an instructor who does the class on the weekends or in the evening, you will not have to take any time off of work to go in to a sheriffs office.

The OP lives in Oregon; so assuming that he already has a resident Oregon CHL, if he got a Utah nonresident permit he would be able to carry in 34 states, versus only 27 with a WA nonresident permit.Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

When I got my Utah nonresident permit, I was able to skip the live-fire part of the training class (saving time and money) because I already had my Oregon CHL and Utah recognizes the Oregon training as being adequate. I took the written/video portion of the class from a local instructor/FFL in about 2 hours on a Saturday morning, and he also took my fingerprints and photo at the same time. I mailed everything in to Utah and had my permit about 45 days later. IIRC it wound up being about $140 total for the class, the background check, the fingerprint fee and the permit itself.

So, for almost 3X the cost, and 2X the hassel, you get 6 states that, as a student that will live in NE WA 9 months a year, he would most likely never need? That does not make sense to me.

BTW: handgunlaw.us has the most up to date information...Gary works really hard to make sure it is as up to date as possible.

So, for almost 3X the cost, and 2X the hassel, you get 6 states that, as a student that will live in NE WA 9 months a year, he would most likely never need? That does not make sense to me.

BTW: handgunlaw.us has the most up to date information...Gary works really hard to make sure it is as up to date as possible.

Does the $52.50 fee for the Washington non-resident permit include the fingerprint fee and the NCIS background check fee? Or are those extras that will also have to be paid for seperately?

Can renewals be done by mail? Or will he potentially have to take time off work to go into the sheriffs office every few years to renew in person?

I am an Oregon resident who wants to be able to carry when I visit Washington as well as in as many other states as possible when and if I choose to travel in the future. For me, the ability to take the class locally on a weekend and send everything in by mail versus having to drive up to WA on a weekday to go to the sheriffs office in person made the Utah permit a much better option for me, both now and in the years to come. The relatively small additional expense up front will be returned to me in the form of fuel and time savings when I renew by mail instead of making a 100 mile roundtrip to Vancouver in my car.

Does the $52.50 fee for the Washington non-resident permit include the fingerprint fee and the NCIS background check fee? Or are those extras that will also have to be paid for seperately?

Can renewals be done by mail? Or will he potentially have to take time off work to go into the sheriffs office every few years to renew in person?

I am an Oregon resident who wants to be able to carry when I visit Washington as well as in as many other states as possible when and if I choose to travel in the future. For me, the ability to take the class locally on a weekend and send everything in by mail versus having to drive up to WA on a weekday to go to the sheriffs office in person made the Utah permit a much better option for me, both now and in the years to come. The relatively small additional expense up front will be returned to me in the form of fuel and time savings when I renew by mail instead of making a 100 mile roundtrip to Vancouver in my car.

The $52.25 includes everything, Renewal is $32. Oh, BTW, if you take cash, things happen faster.....License is good for 5 years. (RCW 9.41.070) Remember, some states do not honor non-resident permits (like MI and FL) but even though WA does not honor very many states, here is a list of the states that honor WA:

AK*, AR, AZ, FL, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, ND, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*, WI,

Best thing to do is go to Handgunlaw.us and read it, then go to RCW 9.41 Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons and read the law as written

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top