JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't live in Washington and will be doing a weekend camping trip somewhere in the Cascades. Bringing my AR along with a handgun and not sure on AR magazine capacity as I only have 30 rounders. Does anyone know for sure if "high capacity" magazines are banned? Did some light research but came up with nothing concrete in terms of answers, although I'm sure the answers are there but I just need it dumbed down for me to understand. So "Yay" or "Nay" on 30 round magazine?

If you decide to carry around your AR, which is perfectly legal be careful to not appear to be brandishing to intimidate which is not legal. 30 mags are legal but scary looking and of no purpose except on the range. You should have at least one 5 or10 rd mag just for appearance sake. Itwould take care of any needs in the area you're going.

Didn't we just go over this?

If you decide to carry around your AR, which is perfectly legal be careful to not appear to be brandishing to intimidate which is not legal. 30 mags are legal but scary looking and of no purpose except on the range. You should have at least one 5 or10 rd mag just for appearance sake. Itwould take care of any needs in the area you're going.

If I'm in the woods with a 'Standard Capacity 30 round' mag in my rifle slung over a shoulder and some snowflake doesn't like it they can go cry to the police or whomever they can find all they want...

Im not worried about animals, I'm worried about crack heads and morons and 30 rounds is plenty appropriate for that.

No mag cap limit here in WA. 30s, 40s, drums...bring 'em.
Of course, that's not to say those bastid antis won't try to ram through mag restrictions in the next session again... and again... and again... and again... :mad::mad::mad:

Im not worried about animals, I'm worried about crack heads and morons and 30 rounds is plenty appropriate for that.

They are out there. Not all "homeless" types live in a tent in the city. Be aware at all times. If you are headed down a trail and indicators (e.g., a blue tarp seen through the trees) make your inner alarm go off, turn around and go back. That's your animal instinct kicking in and working as it should. People have been killed in remote areas for no more than their guns.

If you're in the city, leave your rifle at home. The potential for it inadvertently causing trouble is there. Carry a half hatchet in a paper bag. It won't get you in trouble like a knife and people find them scary when proffered in the defense ("that guy is crazy!).

I guess I just don't have the level of paranoia that some of you have and l live on the edge of mountain wooded recreation areas and have never had a thought of carrying an AR on a hiking or camping trip . I always carry a handgun in 9mm or 10mm depending on my mood that day. I have never heard of a scenario in WA recreation areas that a pistol with a hi-cap mag wouldn't have served for protection. I'm in my 70's. I can remember at least one case where a man was convicted of brandishing by carrying an assault style rifle slung on his shoulder. Not common but if there was a complaint you would waste your recreation time explaining, taking some of the enjoyment away and for no purpose. No reason to bring the AR other than you can. Your choice of course.

I guess I just don't have the level of paranoia that some of you have and l live on the edge of mountain wooded recreation areas and have never had a thought of carrying an AR on a hiking or camping trip . I always carry a handgun in 9mm or 10mm depending on my mood that day. I have never heard of a scenario in WA recreation areas that a pistol with a hi-cap mag wouldn't have served for protection. I'm in my 70's. I can remember at least one case where a man was convicted of brandishing by carrying an assault style rifle slung on his shoulder. Not common but if there was a complaint you would waste your recreation time explaining, taking some of the enjoyment away and for no purpose. No reason to bring the AR other than you can. Your choice of course.

I think it depends on what part of the state you live in... up there is pretty tame and more conservative in my recollection.

Wasn't but a few years ago a guy down here posted a thread about how he was out in the woods target shooting and had a car pull up and a hand full of thugs start flanking him (while he had his AR pointed at one) and he had to keep the gun pointed at the guys face as he drove off.

Ive lived in this area for 30 years, most of which in the hills. I've never seen a cougar but I know they are out there.

Just cuz I haven't seen one though doesn't mean they aren't there so I plan accordingly.

Good luck convincing a LEO of any kind to go investigate "a guy with a scary gun" out in the middle of nowhere.

Sounds like your a little less the 30 years my senior so absolutely no disrespect meant or intended but I think there was a lot less crazy in the world when you were my age.

Hell I could be wrong and have a Ranger come track me down to ask why I'm carrying a lawful weapon with a lawful magazine in it and want to know why I scared a group of Portlandites:oops:.

;)

Something to add to the appeal of an AR is that it's easy to make a case that you aren't poaching big game out of season. Carrying a shotgun with buck shot or a large caliber hunting rifle, while looking less scary, can get you in trouble depending on the mood of the ranger and what time of year it is...

Thanks for all the replies. I don't intend to make it known that I'm carrying. Everything will be tucked away and hidden. I don't foresee any practical use for an AR in the forest but "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". Also, the majority populace automatically assume that because I'm a minority I'm liberal by default which isn't the case. I know there are a few bad apples in every group and would hate to encounter such a person even if they're from the same political asle as I am. Sh!tty people are just sh!tty people. Yes, racism does exist but not to the extent that you see on tv. I would rather know that if it came down to it I can stand my own ground and not be a victim, especially out in the middle of the woods.

*Speaking from experience while fishing in the woods*

Last Edited:
If I'm in the woods with a 'Standard Capacity 30 round' mag in my rifle slung over a shoulder and some snowflake doesn't like it they can go cry to the police or whomever they can find all they want...

Same here, I'm less worried about cougars and bears than I am about the two legged predators..........................

I agree, an AR and a 30 round mag or two is very appropriate.

Ray

That article just made me want to scream and strangle someone!

Below is the entire article (and the emphasis is mine):

EVERETT, Wash. -- A convicted felon released early from prison because of COVID-19 concerns is back behind bars, accused in a terrifying attack on a woman in Everett, Washington.

The victim, a woman in her 60s, was taking a break from hiking on a trail Friday when police say 33-year-old Matthew Cory came up from behind her and started choking her.

The interurban trail in Everett is a popular place for people to get outside for some fresh air.

According to court documents, the victim said she managed to loosen his grip and scream loud enough that he ran off. Police found Cory running through the woods, and the victim positively identified him as her attacker.

Cory told investigators he'd been using meth for two weeks, hadn't slept in seven days, and didn't remember attacking the woman. Now back in custody, this latest arrest adds to Cory's criminal record, which lists 11 arrests, seven felony convictions and two misdemeanors.

Records show Cory has been in and out of prison several times. When he was given early release this month, he'd been serving time for unlawful possession of a firearm.

Cory is one of approximately 1,000 Washington inmates released up to six months early because of Covid-19. Department of Corrections officials say 10 days after his May 2 release, Cory removed his ankle monitor, so officials lost track of him.

Though it's an isolated case, law enforcement sources tell Q13 News a handful of inmates released early have gone off the grid and disappeared.
(Gee, that was unexpected! :rolleyes: )

What allegedly (FIFY) happened in this case is the kind of crime that some law enforcement officials cautioned would happen with mass release of inmates. Meanwhile, social activists and loved ones have consistently argued that keeping so many behind bars during a pandemic poses a huge safety risk to inmates. (ask me if I GAFF!!!)

Gov. Jay Inslee's office declined an interview, (of course he declined, cuz he got caught being stupid red-handed - again :rolleyes: ) but issued the following statement:

"The decision to release individuals from DOC was based on weighing the risk to incarcerated individuals and public safety. These were extremely difficult choices to make, but they were necessary in order to meet our obligations to allow for minimal social distancing in our more crowded living areas in the prisons. In reviewing individuals for potential release, we focused on those individuals who were incarcerated for less serious crimes
(WTF!!!??? What the hell is "less serious" than 7 felony convictions!!!???) and focused more on offenses involving property rather than crimes against persons. This group was chosen to reduce the risk to public safety, but no choice could be made to guarantee that there would never be a new crime committed. " (So WhyTF let them go in the first place!!!???) :mad::mad::mad:

Whole lotta stupid goin' on in Olympia... :s0054: :s0054: :s0054:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top