JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I finally have most of my stuff moved up here and making it my home but I have some questions I hope someone can clarify. My friend says he's sure but as someone who knew everything in and out of ca gun laws I'm hoping to find someone alike here.

Now that I am a registered resident of Washington and today I took care of my drivers license for wa From ca and registered my truck here I'm curious on a few questions.

Buying a gun. 2-3 weeks till the hard license gets to me but have a temp? (Paper card stock) provided to me at the licensing office, would that allow me to purchase a gun. (Doubting it but friend says yes).

Regardless of the first question, when you buy a gun do you need a secondary proof of residence like a utility bill in ca?

Is there a 5 or 10 day background check? I've heard both numbers.

When I get my CCW does any of those previous requirements drop off like the waiting period?

Going shooting at the range do the guns need to be locked during transport? Ammo separate from the firearm (talking until I get my CCW)

Any other laws I need to know about? To stay in compliance?

Thanks for any advice. If my temp license covers me I'm getting my favor tomorrow... but if I have to wait, I just have to wait.

Btw, any good go-to gun shops within an hour or so from Everett?

Regardless of the first question, when you buy a gun do you need a secondary proof of residence like a utility bill in ca?

I'm sure lots of others here have bought way more guns than me, but from my two I don't remember having to provide a 2nd proof of residence.

Is there a 5 or 10 day background check? I've heard both numbers.

As far as I remember it's whenever your local PD/Sheriff gets done processing your paperwork and background check. I don't believe there is a mandatory minimum wait period (?)

When I get my CCW does any of those previous requirements drop off like the waiting period?

With a CPL many people walk out the same day with their new purchase. Not always the case though.

Going shooting at the range do the guns need to be locked during transport? Ammo separate from the firearm (talking until I get my CCW)

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

It is illegal to carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle under any circumstance.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;
(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).
For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.
In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.
The local judicial authority shall designate and clearly mark those areas where weapons are prohibited, and shall post notices at each entrance to the building of the prohibition against weapons in the restricted areas;
(c) The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress and ingress open to the general public;
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the *state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or
(e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport designated in the airport security plan approved by the federal transportation security administration, including passenger screening checkpoints at or beyond the point at which a passenger initiates the screening process. These areas do not include airport drives, general parking areas and walkways, and shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoints and that are normally open to unscreened passengers or visitors to the airport. Any restricted access area shall be clearly indicated by prominent signs indicating that firearms and other weapons are prohibited in the area.

TL;DR Keep your gun out of courthouses, jails, bars, mental health facilities, inner areas of airports/terminals, inner areas of police stations, just about any age 21+ area such as night clubs, beer festivals etc...

Btw, any good go-to gun shops within an hour or so from Everett?

Norpoint in Arlington has good prices on guns but not a tremendous selection. I've been shooting at West Coast Armory North in Everett but can't speak as to their selection or prices. Wade's in Bellevue has a fantastic firearm (and all else) selection but their prices are too high. I've heard good things about West Coast Armory in Issaquah too though that's getting a bit far from Everett.

Welcome to the state!

Paper license and it will depend on the FFL if they will take it or not.
No other ID is required.

3 day wait for handguns, none on long guns. The FFL has to run a background check and CAN legality give you the gun after 10 business days if it hasn't been ran and returned but from my experience no FFL is willing to take that chance.

CCW cancels the wait for handguns and that's all. Unless you count the obvious ability to carry it loaded on you in a vehicle and around town Concealed.

Guns and ammo do not need to be physically separate but no loaded guns. Out of reach and in a case is a good practice.

When you get your CCW, loaded handguns have to be under your control - people have been popped for having it in the center console and the passenger getting arrested... whether prosecuted I'm not sure but I do not risk it.

Every range I've been too requires unloaded guns in cases until at the fireing lane.

No rules about gun locks that I'm aware of.

When you get your CCW, loaded handguns have to be under your control - people have been popped for having it in the center console and the passenger getting arrested... whether prosecuted I'm not sure but I do not risk it.

From what I understand, and of course, I could be wrong, you can have a loaded gun out of your holster in the vehicle if you're by yourself, or, if the passenger(s) also have a CCW. Now, that means you're IN the car with the loaded gun also - duh!
I have a center console exposed gun holster that I put my CCW into now and then, and I had read up before I did that. No, I've not been stopped in WA for any reasons, but...

Thanks,
Michael J.

From what I understand, and of course, I could be wrong, you can have a loaded gun out of your holster in the vehicle if you're by yourself, or, if the passenger(s) also have a CCW. Now, that means you're IN the car with the loaded gun also - duh!
I have a center console exposed gun holster that I put my CCW into now and then, and I had read up before I did that. No, I've not been stopped in WA for any reasons, but...

Thanks,
Michael J.

That's true.

I was only referring to driving with others in the car.

I've been stopped numerous times for different reasons (never ticketed while carrying) and keep my gun concealed unless expressly asked if I have a firearm in the vehicle, which has never happened.

On my own, I'll move my pistol to a quicker accessible spot if I'm feeling threatened or it is warrented but generally leaving guns in view for passerby's is not something I advocate for.

Cabela's have a good selection for firearms, get your CPL ASAP, in fact as soon as you have photo ID for WA. County Sheriff or city PD is place to go depending on where you live. Personally, I have been buying on line and then shipping to FFL, I have more time to wait than money to spend for stuff like Wade's ridiculous markups.... or full boat prices, nice indoor range as indoor ranges go at Wade's however. A pity Kesselring's lost their FFL. Yeager's in Bellingham not bad if you don't mind a drive, also, Doc Holliday's in LaConner has some interesting firearms.

Brutus Out

Depending on where you live Ive found the sheriff dept's generally process the CPL's faster than the town PD's.

Perfectly fine to leave your gun int he glove box loaded. Ive got a dedicated car gun that pretty much lives int he glove box.

Btw, any good go-to gun shops within an hour or so from Everett
I'm a big fan of Lynnwood Gun. They've got the best prices of all the local gun stores and the people who work there are generally pretty cool.
The shop in west coast armory north has a good selection and the salespeople are super friendly, but their prices are higher than what I like to pay.
If you're into reloading adventure sports (also in lynnwood) has everything you need, but they are the most expensive place around.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention precise shooter. That place is GREAT. Reloading supplies and a good selection of firearms. And very very reasonable prices. My second favorite gun store in the area (I'm biased towards lynnwood gun because I'm friends with the owners - if I weren't, precise shooter would be my number one)

Glad to hear you're getting set up- hopefully we'll run into each other at the range sometime soon!

Cabela's have a good selection for firearms, get your CPL ASAP, in fact as soon as you have photo ID for WA. County Sheriff or city PD is place to go depending on where you live. Personally, I have been buying on line and then shipping to FFL, I have more time to wait than money to spend for stuff like Wade's ridiculous markups.... or full boat prices, nice indoor range as indoor ranges go at Wade's however. A pity Kesselring's lost their FFL. Yeager's in Bellingham not bad if you don't mind a drive, also, Doc Holliday's in LaConner has some interesting firearms.

Brutus Out
Thanks. On day 5? Of waiting on the hard copy drivers liscense so I have time till I can take the CCW coarse. Mideicare here but medical is a nightmare and don't know what Drs office are good. I need three back surgeries, awful arthritis,mbrain surgery and now a gastroenterologist. Hate my life, also gotta get out of this apartment complex. Shady as hell.

So here's the deal, I'm also a refugee from the "golden-shower" state.

I got my CPL before I was a WA resident, there is no training course required to get it. Just walk in, they take your finger-prints, from there it's shall-issue. If you're a WA resident, they have IIRC 30 days for a yea or nay, for non-resident it's 90 days. Just go to your local PD, can be either local police or county. Cost is $54 including live-scan.

In most cases, if you have your CPL, and a paper license, many FFL's will still make the sale, but will question your credentials. I bought a pistol right after I got my WA license, I was still on the paper license, but I had my CPL with my old california address. They did call in my CPL to the issuing agency who said "yep, it's valid". And they sold it to me without any further stress. Generally, they were more or less just making sure they were clear to do it, not giving me any hassles about whether I was trying to pull some shenanigans. You do not need a utility bill, a vehicle registration form, a second form of ID, blood sample or anything else to buy a gun in the state. However if you are buying a pistol and do not have a CPL, there is a 5-day wait, that gives the local PD veto over the sale, it's kinda've a fancy local background check. The CPL negates this, and I'm fairly sure most jurisdictions would rather give you a CPL so they can not worry about extra paperwork.

The one thing WA is super serious about is transporting loaded long-guns. It's a huge massive balls-to-the-wall no-no. This includes hunting. There really is no secure-storage requirement in the state, certainly not like you're used to in CA, however it's still a damn good idea to case up your guns, put them in the trunk and lock it. The meth problem makes vehicle burglary a pretty common occurrence pretty much everywhere.

If you have to drive down to bellevue, I highly recommend visiting Low Price Guns (they're a sponsor here) and that crew has always been good to me. Surplus Arms and Ammo has a lot of stuff and decent prices, but I always get the "why are you bothering me" vibe from that place. They're also a long drive from Marysville. You could also go to the Cabellas in Tulalip.

Generally, I avoid "Discount Guns" as I have yet to see any discounts, they do carry some unusual stuff. If you are willing to head further south, Apocalypse Arms (Sultan?) is a really cool shop, I've never bought a gun there, but the sales people are quite friendly, and have bought a number of other stuff from them. Fall City Firearms is another great place if you're looking for something used. You can check out Epic Guns in Monroe, I have yet to figure this place out, I used to go in somewhat frequently, but last few times i've been there they've been out of stock on just about everything, and just have a few crappy DPMS AR's or some oddball AK variant, or some bizzarro used guns they're asking way too much for. They have ok prices on ammo though, and they used to have a good looking gal working there who really knew her stuff (Katie I think was her name, havn't seen her in a while either).

They have 30 days to give you the card. Depends on the county if they wait that long. Ive had a 2 day turnaround in Cowlitz County. Yakima County waited until the 30th day. Just depends on how much of a Richard they are.

Remember to follow the Federal rules, too. No firearms in Federal Buildings, including the Post Office. Not sure about National Forest buildings.

Weapons are not allowed in buildings where federal employees work. That includes National Forest Buildings. National forests are different though. It used to be illegal to carry in national forests and national parks. Now its not. Thanks Obama o_O.

Snipped from OP

You may get around to Open Carry, here is an excellent resource.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry: cross posted from Open Carry dot Org.
Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Following is a link to a trifold pamphlet regarding Washington Gun Rights from the aforementioned source.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://vb.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3385&d=1280151535
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

~Whitney

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews