JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have bought several rifles from out of state and none of them legally was shipped to my door. ALL of them had to be transfered through an FFL here in Washingtonm.
I believe the OP was referring to going to a FFL in another state in person and purchase and transfer in the FFL shop for any long arm including semi and 1639 did not change that as a RCW clearly allows that as long as no part of the transaction happens within WA state.

FFLs have to comply with the laws of their state of residence, and the laws of the buyers state. That's why I can't transfer guns to California residents, Oregon doesn't care, California does.

18 U.S.C 922 (b)(3)

(b)It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(3)any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States

Last Edited:
No I lived in spokane from 2002-2018 and I bought many rifles private and from FFL gun stores in Idaho. Completely legal. Those same dealers now won't sell to Washington residents. But Alaska and Arizona gun stores/FFL will sell to Washington residents

No I lived in spokane from 2002-2018 and I bought many rifles private and from FFL gun stores in Idaho. Completely legal. Those same dealers now won't sell to Washington residents. But Alaska and Arizona gun stores/FFL will sell to Washington residents

But you did not have them shipped to your adress in Spokane. You personally brought them across state lines. The issue here is a rifle being shipped to Washington. It has to go through a Washington FFL.

I BELIEVE we have two trains of thought here. I think the OP was talking about BEING in Arizona/where ever, and buying the firearm. NOT buying as in Gunbroker.
I agree. It sounds like some are talking about physically being in another state and legally purchasing a rifle in that state, and others are talking about purchasing a firearm over the internet or telephone from a dealer (or individual) in another state.

FFLs have to comply with the laws of their state of residence, and the laws of the buyers state. That's why I can't transfer guns to California residents, Oregon doesn't care, California does.

18 U.S.C 922 (b)(3)

(b)It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(3)any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States
can't help you with CA but the law in WA RCW 9.41.122 very clearly allows you to sell any longarm to a WA resident as long as the transaction takes place in your place of business.

can't help you with CA but the law in WA RCW 9.41.122 very clearly allows you to sell any longarm to a WA resident as long as the transaction takes place in your place of business.

That just says I can sell it to them, which I probably could. But I would still have to comply with all the other stuff, 10 day wait, enhanced background check, which would be a pain at best. I suspect that's why most dealers out of state won't do it.

That just says I can sell it to them, which I probably could. But I would still have to comply with all the other stuff, 10 day wait, enhanced background check, which would be a pain at best. I suspect that's why most dealers out of state won't do it.
don't know how to show you any more clearly. Maybe you should get out of the gun business and sell beef jerky and beany babies.

don't know how to show you any more clearly. Maybe you should get out of the gun business and sell beef jerky and beany babies.

Show me what? Show me where it says I can transfer a gun to someone and ignore WA state law.

RCW 9.41.092
Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter and except for semiautomatic assault rifles under subsection (2) of this section, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver a semiautomatic assault rifle to a purchaser or transferee until ten business days have elapsed from the date of the purchase application or, in the case of a transfer, ten business days have elapsed from the date a background check is initiated.

Show me what? Show me where it says I can transfer a gun to someone and ignore WA state law.

RCW 9.41.092
Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter and except for semiautomatic assault rifles under subsection (2) of this section, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver a semiautomatic assault rifle to a purchaser or transferee until ten business days have elapsed from the date of the purchase application or, in the case of a transfer, ten business days have elapsed from the date a background check is initiated.
my last try. Read RCW 9.41.122 that pertains to in person out of state purchases of a long arm and is current law for WA.

my last try. Read RCW 9.41.122 that pertains to in person out of state purchases of a long arm and is current law for WA.

I don't think you understand, you're confusing what WA law allows a resident to do, and what federal law compels me to do. That statute has nothing to do with me as an FFL, only you.

You can buy a gun out of state, as a federally licensed dealer I can sell a long gun to you as long as I fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States, which means following all the I-1639 bullbubblegum.

Bold underline emphasis is mine, caps is from the original.

Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington , including, but not limited to, internet sales, such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.

It sure looks like when you buy a rifle in person out of state, Washington state does not require the 10 day waiting period. We're dealing with three different sections from two different government agencies, and I'm not a lawyer, but it seems pretty clear.

I just bought this 2 days ago at a large retailer in Idaho...

ApEV8dOJSAmWSkVVUVv3Jw.jpeg

There was some confusion as my DL was expired last month and I explained that WA had issued a 90-day extension on expired DL due to Covid. They had to make a call to someone, then accepted my DL as a valid ID.

I filled out the 4473, waited 10 minutes or so for the BGC to clear, then was handed the rifle in a box and paid, then went straight to the range. Just how it has been for decades.

The verbiage for an out of state purchase mentions "... That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made..."

The Eligible word is in question.
Under I-1639 you have be 21years old or over, you have to go through an enhanced background check and waiting period.
You have to have some type of training requirement.

So, if a Washington Resident, comes down to Oregon to buy a semi auto "assault rifle" at a store in Oregon, they wouldn't be able to because
1) Oregon doesnt have an enhanced background check nor a waiting period.
2) Oregon doesn't require any type of training requirement.

So with all this information, yeah it looks like a Washington resident cannot buy a semi auto "assault rifle" in Oregon if they drove down here.

But bolt-action, lever-action, pump action rifles and shotguns are fair game. And it seems that semi auto shotguns are as well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top