JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I take your point. For us, the laws have been loosening up since Granholm signed "shall issue" legislation. Buying and selling handguns here is much easier than it has been in the past. A CPL conveys a lot of benefits in Michigan. About 15% of Michigan adults now have CPL's . There is even a bill in the legislature to get rid of our handgun registration system. Our Gov probably will not sign it, but we have hope. He just got re-elected so he can't run again.

Last Edited:
:mad: ...its so stupid...

BEFORE - If you wanted to borrow one of my guns and I were so obliged, I'd loan you the gun, you'd use it and return it.
NOW - If you wanted to borrow one of my guns and I were so obliged, we meet at the local gun shop and fill out some paperwork, the proprietor checks it then notifies the FBI, I then hand the gun over to you, you use it, then return it.
As far as I know, there's no paperwork, or "clearance" needed to return the firearm, but I'm not 100% sure on that part, either.
...So, so stupid. :mad:

DeanMk

Returning the firearm meets the definition of a transfer as written in 594.

The only exceptions to returning a firearm to its owner are if you turned it over to a dealer to facilitate a transfer, and the background check fails, the dealer may return it to you, and a licensed gunsmith may return a firearm to its owner.

So yes, it appears that you would need to run a background check on the owner of a firearm to return it after they loaned it to you.

Use to be that that when a person went to buy pot, you only dealt with a guy you knew and trusted, so you wouldn't be arrested.
Now, you can legally buy pot in Washington State, but you can only sell a gun to a guy you know and trust.

Last Edited:
Now let's say two Washington residents are in Oregon. One offers to sell a firearm to the other, cash is handed over, a bill of sale is given. The firearm is back in Washington yet. When the pair return to Washington, the previous owner is now in possession of a firearm owned by another. Was federal law violated since the firearm didn't actually change hands. Was Washington law violated since the two were not actually in Washington?

Maybe Oregon law was violated by having the "out of town" miscreants" transact questionable business in their domain !! :) One thing you can be sure of, the law is not there for OUR benefit..

...don't forget the "use fee" otherwise known as the sales tax. Conflicting opinions on how much it's going to be, or even if it will be charged on any transfer. Man, this just sucks....

Sounds like just another tax grab.
9.9% sales tax on the purchase price, say $99 on a $1K built AR.
$25 for FFL another $10 for private party walk in.

$134 is fees to transfer just 1 firearm? I'd venture a guess prices on used guns will drop.
Nobody wants to pay that extra $134 out of pocket for a used gun.

Might as well buy online and have them send you the invoice electronically so the FFL doesn't have a piece of paper with the sales price to base tax on. Or buy direct from a gun shop and skip the $35 transfer fee.

Either way is cheaper that FTF through FFL money grab.

Since the background check is done by the feds where exactly is all this WA gun tax revenue going anyway?

WA State doesn't lift a finger and gets paid for every transaction? Smells fishy.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Yeah, I sold all mine, except the ones that were stolen or lost at sea! Dang boating accidents!
Yep, lots of that happening her in the Pacific Northwet!!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
WAC Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

This is why it is critical that each member here, for the cost of a couple of boxes of ammo, should become members of OFF and the NRA. Money talks! Please donate money to 2A Protection groups.

Now let's say two Washington residents are in Oregon. One offers to sell a firearm to the other, cash is handed over, a bill of sale is given. The firearm is back in Washington yet. When the pair return to Washington, the previous owner is now in possession of a firearm owned by another. Was federal law violated since the firearm didn't actually change hands. Was Washington law violated since the two were not actually in Washington?

YOU WILL BE IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW!!

This question was posited in another thread and was conclusively answered. READ THIS THREAD!

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/transfer-legal-question.185053/

Kinda interesting how the last four years has been a boom for gun sales and now that all them guns are out there they have found a way to tax them. Kinda like they planned ito_O

So how does it work, do they tax the private sale of gun parts?

Would a seller be better off stripping his AR and selling the parts then taking the receiver in to sell through the store? A stripped receiver sells for a lot less than a complete rifle so the tax would be a lot less.

How about a 1911, you could strip it all the way down to a frame and just sell the frame.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top