JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Something doesn't smell right. Why would that form ask for the kind of personal information that they already have? It should be sufficient for you to enter your license number which can easily be reconciled with records.

Or am I being paranoid?

Something doesn't smell right. Why would that form ask for the kind of personal information that they already have? It should be sufficient for you to enter your license number which can easily be reconciled with records.

Or am I being paranoid?

They said you don't have to type it in, but what it's for is to update their records regarding the privacy issue.

I think it will protect my information from being leaked because of my specific choice to not let it become public.

It's ONLY for residents of Washington county. I understand that most, if not all, other sheriffs have adopted the same stand, and are offering the same thing. It may be a moot point, as the courts may rule in favor of the press that's asked for the information, and the sheriff's will be required to provide the information anyway.

Only in an Obamanation.

This has been going on due to a group in Southern Oregon. I believe a Judge ruled that this was allowable, unless the person got it for perceived threat or something odd. I would have to look up the exact phrase used.

So some counties who don't agree, are adding a box on the form so you can say it is for personal protection or whatever the judge says would make publishing not allowed.

I just hope, this goes up to the Oregon Supreme court. People have asked me, why shouldn't the be able to publish this.

That is the wrong question is 'why do they think they have the right to publish it.' I know there are a lot of public records you can get on someone else, but we should be limiting that type of information. How do we get it to be part of HIPAA. That would screw anyone trying to get info on you.

M

Any news paper or otherwise that posts this information will be getting a lawsuit right back at them. They think they can post our names and addresses? Then why can't we post there's? We have a right to know who is giving us the news every day, right?

The following arguments can be made using the same logic:
  • It's a choice to get a drivers license. A vehicle is a dangerous weapon. I can be harmed by your driving. Therefore I have a right to your driving record.
  • Your relationships are (mostly) a choice. It can affect your emotions, and you could cause harm to others based on your unstable emotional state using an assortments of tools. If you're taking medication, seeing a therapist, etc. then I have a right to these records because it may help me avert danger.
  • It's a choice (mostly) on what foods you eat. Your health can affect your actions, and your actions could be dangerous to me. Therefore I have a right to your medical records.

It's the same tired logic being used for lots of things ... "technically situation X could happen (even though it's a 0.00000001% chance), therefore the sky is falling and the person and/or item should be locked up forever".

Name that fallacy?
Somewhat of a hasty generalization. Perhaps somewhat of a straw man?
Trying to get specific.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads