JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Took my Conceal Carry class on Saturday Feb 6th.

Went to Wash. Co. Sheriff's Office on Monday Feb 8 to turn my application and get my appointment for fingerprints and picture.

My appointment was scheduled for March 1st. (3 week wait)

Will have my license within 30 days according to clerk.

Total time 7 weeks. Gotta Love Washington County.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think I have a problem. I'm told that the first step to recovery is to admit your problem..... Screw them. I have NO problem.

3 weeks wait! wow! There must be a spike in CHL requestors! My experience (CHL and several NFA devices), is they are very efficient and helpful, even for a gov't agency.

For instance, I once lost my CHL and they replaced it on the spot. total wait time: less than 30 minutes.

i waited 2 and a half weeks to get y appointment time. When i left the sheriffs office in wa co this afternoon, the worst part had to be when they let me hold the card that they were going to send me in 30 days! So now the wait begins. Thanx again to OFA for the BHS course:s0155:

Its been a few years since I had a Washington County permit, but it was also prepared on the spot within about 20 min. I was surprised since I had moved from Multnomah county where the process took darn near half of my day sitting, waiting to be called in by groups.

Clackamas is by appointment also and is handled very quickly, unless things have changed since I moved to Clackamas over six years ago.

My CHL arrived in the mail today.:s0155:

That makes 19 days from my prints and picture appointment to CHL in hand.

Total time from class to license?? 6 weeks.

I am soooooo glad I don't live in Multnomah county!!!!!

I do not think I have a problem. I'm told that the first step to recovery is to admit your problem..... Screw them. I have NO problem.

...anyone have CHL experiences in Coos County? No mass groups, no appt necessary, but I'm told "2 to 4 weeks for processing" and today is the end of week #5 since prints and paperwork (and money.)

What's the legal max before they have to at least notify of a delay around here? The State is "shall issue" after all...

I don't mind being patient, but the more time I spend in the "big city" (and the more money I collect and carry to the bank daily) the more I'd appreciate having my comforting "security blanket"...

-Case

Case, here is what info I have from my CHL class I took.

Oregon is a 'shall issue' state. If there isn't any legitimate reason to deny the license, it must be issued with 45 days. If denied, the reason must be given to you in writing, and you are allowed to appeal.

I hope this helps.

I do not think I have a problem. I'm told that the first step to recovery is to admit your problem..... Screw them. I have NO problem

Case, here is what info I have from my CHL class I took.

Oregon is a 'shall issue' state. If there isn't any legitimate reason to deny the license, it must be issued with 45 days. If denied, the reason must be given to you in writing, and you are allowed to appeal.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, that's the same premise I'm working with... but then the question comes up: is that 45 days from the time of application, or 45 "business days" - meaning a possible 9-week wait? Something ought to show up any day now I guess. (I sure don't know of any reason I could/should be denied!)

I didn't mark my application on a calendar, but I know it was the day Jesse Jackson came to PDX to stir the pot recently... Maybe time is just passing so slowly because there have been so many anti-American hot topics in the news lately...! ;-)

-Case

I took my class march 6 and called to make my appointment the following monday and it was a month out just for apt. my apt is april 7th she said she squeezed me in there and that they were all ready booking apts well into may this is for clackamas county

I accidentally let my CHL expire a couple of months ago. (Jackson County/Medford.) I walked in with no appointment and was helped on the spot. They wanted new fingerprints and a new picture and a new application, but I left with my new card on the spot. My new card is very similar to a driver's license in material and shape. Plastic, picture, etc.

No complaints here.

How do they let you know when your appointment is? Mail, phone? I just applied for mine in Multnomah county (I'm a WA resident applying for my OR CHL) so I'd like to know what to expect.

I will say the WA CPL was much easier, apply, get fingerprinted, pay at the same time then wait 30 days for your permit, plus I didn't have to take a silly class.

Well I got my OR CHL appointment in the mail from Multnomah County today, it'll be next Tuesday, so that's 2 weeks from application to appointment. Any tips on my "Letter of compelling reasons I want a CHL in OR"?

Those two gals in the WashCo Sheriff's office are nice, regular folk, nothing like "civil servants," who tend to be NEITHER.
I saw 'em again a few weeks ago when they processed my NFA paperwork: bang-zoom-done.

Wife and I took our class on Feb 14th. Called for appointment the next business day. March 29 was the first avail. date. Was told by the clerk it'll be 4-6 weeks to receive our permits. She also told me there are about 12,000 CCL's in Clack. county, and that they recently went from 3 days a week processing apps. to 5 days a week. So 10-12 weeks for a process I don't agree with but have to do to be legal.:(

Yeah I think they are skirting the law a bit by starting the "45 day" time period from the date of your appointment, yet it takes them 3 weeks to get to your appointment after your application. I would think the "spirit" of the law is that the whole process take 45 from application to getting your card, but you know how legal technicalities work......

I do think the ladies there are very nice and helpful though. They are probably just overwhelmed with the amount of applications coming in.

On day 45 (in Coos County) I called the SO. I was very polite, stating that it had been 45 days, and I just wanted to be sure I didn't miss a step or anything.

After waiting all day for a call back from the clerk in charge, she finally told me it was "in a pile of approved and issued licenses that, for some reason, just hadn't been mailed out yet." Of course this was about 20 minutes before closing time on a Friday. I think she was a little shocked when I showed up 2 minutes before they locked up for the weekend... "Oh," I said, "I just wanted to save you a stamp!"

Permit in hand, carrying legally in Oree-GUN for just over a week now.

-Case

I feel bad for you guys, I applied for my OR non resident license with Sheriff Palmer (Grant County, OR) on Mar 27th at the gun show in Puyallup, WA. Check to Grant County cleared the bank on Apr 1st, check to OSP cleared the bank on Apr 5th, CHL issue date Apr 6th, mailed Apr 7th, received in hand here in WA yesterday April 9th! I would advise even Oregon residents travel to see Sheriff Palmer to get your licenses. He is a really nice guy.

Richard

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top