JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FWIW, Biggie, I'm firmly in the "don't bring unnecessary heat on yourself" camp.
But I give you credit for challenging popular perceptions of the law. In fact, you are well within your rights to behave as you did. Enough people have commented on the wisdom of such behavior, so I'll pass.

What interests me most about this thread is some of the commenters' reasoning why they are critical; it seems as though some here would, at the same time they demand and regularly exercise 2A rights, feel that the heat brought on oneself by openly (flagrantly?) exercising those rights is not worth the effort.

At what point would the heat be worth it? Perhaps we all ought to think about at what point we'll tell average Oregon Joe GunHater to pound sand and act to ensure our personal safety.

It seems like some of us would discourage you so as not to bring heat on all of us, and that is a defensive posture that will not succeed in the long run. Death by a thousand cuts is still, after all, death.

Well let me say this......... I never wanted to open carry a weapon to mess things up for others. I understand that a lot of people are ignorant towards guns and gun laws...... even some law enforcement officers have acted in an ignorant manner. It just makes me sad to know that as an american I have certain "rights" and that when I exercise my rights I get looked at like I broke the law. It is a darn shame to give someone a CHL and tell them that he or she can conceal carry or open carry and when that person decides to open carry......... that person has to deal with all the negativity (more then expected that is). I understand why there is negativity........ and I just want people to not be sheeps and to be educated.

I have done a lot of thinking about this........... I am sad to say that I have made a decision to not open carry for now :(. I now feel that I have no rights and that I never had my rights as an american. Instead I have privileges....... I can't call it RIGHTS anymore..... because if it was RIGHTS then I wouldn't be going through all this BS with the law. I must say that I do appreciate the commander from Washington Co. contacting me to hear my side of the story and that the county didn't just revoke my CHL.

Well let me say this......... I never wanted to open carry a weapon to mess things up for others. I understand that a lot of people are ignorant towards guns and gun laws...... even some law enforcement officers have acted in an ignorant manner. It just makes me sad to know that as an american I have certain "rights" and that when I exercise my rights I get looked at like I broke the law. It is a darn shame to give someone a CHL and tell them that he or she can conceal carry or open carry and when that person decides to open carry......... that person has to deal with all the negativity (more then expected that is). I understand why there is negativity........ and I just want people to not be sheeps and to be educated.

I have done a lot of thinking about this........... I am sad to say that I have made a decision to not open carry for now :(. I now feel that I have no rights and that I never had my rights as an american. Instead I have privileges....... I can't call it RIGHTS anymore..... because if it was RIGHTS then I wouldn't be going through all this BS with the law. I must say that I do appreciate the commander from Washington Co. contacting me to hear my side of the story and that the county didn't just revoke my CHL.

I have the right to dress up like a gangster (not saying you did) and open carry, but I don't. It's natural for people to freak out! How would they know you have a CHL? Did you have a sign up? Did you tell every person that walked by the rifle was unloaded? How would they be able to differentiate you and someone else getting ready for a mass shooting? When would it be acceptable for people in public to START being concerned? If it's only after someone starts shooting people, everyone would then talk about how all the warning signs were missed.

And can you tell me why is that? People freak out because of other person have a sidearm on him/her? Dont you see that people are being brain wash?

That's rather my point. The problem as I see it is not Biggie's showy behavior, since it's legal, it's the idea that our society has become so conditioned ("brainwashed" implies a brain that is marginally functional) to fear weapons, and by extension people like Biggie. That's what we should be criticizing.

Those of us that know firearms understand a lot of the fear is irrational. Yes, I know we live in a violent society but that is so because we've become soft on crime over the years. And we let that happen. We, the people. When you don't care who's governing, you can't expect government to care about you. 30% voter turnout is the most horrible crime in our society. Apathy.

I don't watch much tv at all; turned it off years ago and don't miss it. But lately it's been on a bit, and I am amazed at the all the firearms I see, and how they're used and reacted to. No wonder people freak out when they see Biggie toting his piece down the street.

Taking a page from the left, it's up to us to educate our neighbors about guns. We run the risk of being shunned, that's no great loss. But once you start thinking that Biggie should just not bother, you're paving the way for further infringement of your rights. At some point, as I said earlier, we need to ask ourselves at what point we'll actively work, within the framework of the law, to protect our rights. Stand up for ourselves, not just 2A stuff but all our personal liberties.

Because we've spent years pi**ing them away.

People are being brain washed. If they talked about cars like they do about guns.... those same people would be scared of cars. A vehicle is a 4 thousand pound WEAPON and can kill like a gun can kill.
I would be concerned if the person who was open carrying was acting shady or about to shoot the weapon. I am used to being around guns and it's almost no big deal...... I saw a lady holding her child in her arms with a Glock holstered out in the open as she shopped at winco......... I was impressed and glad to see that...... But I think it was stupid that her arms were full holding the kid because I could have walked past her and took the firearm away from her if I was a bad guy.
Maybe I can put a hat sign on my head saying I HAVE A GUN LICENSE AND I AM LEGALLY OPEN CARRYING MY GUN. I MEAN NO HARM..... have my concealed carry license hanging off my neck.......... dressed in a suit........ :winkkiss:

The first gun I ever bought was a single shot 12ga. It was rather unwieldly with tha original 30" barrel so I cut it down to 18 1/4" and made a new stock that was shorter. I then made a holster for it with belt and 24 shell loops. A motorcycle was my only mode of transportation at the time and the only practical way of carrying it was strapped on. Used to go on a lot of camping trips with it and while I got a few looks, no one every said a word about it. Not even cops.

Why? It was legal and still is. However, that was in the early 70's and things have changed. I have always been a bit of a rebel but am more discreet about it today. But that is just me.

If someone wants to exercise there rights in a peaceable manner but, flaunt their freedoms in public while putting up with the hassles that go along with it, I say go for it.

Bob

I am far from sheeple, but if I drove into the Kmart parking lot with my wife and son in the car and saw some guy hanging out in the parking lot with a rifle, I would be very very concerned for the safety of my family. I would have no way of knowing if it was a crazed shooter or just some guy who likes carry guns in public for attention. I can assure you that my gun would come out of it's holster and the safety would be flicked off. I would then drive out the next driveway to remove my family from possible harm. I would have driven right across the street to the Sheriffs office to alert them.

Did you pick Kmart because there is a Sheriffs office across the street? Lot's of good attention getting posibilities there.

I'd like to make a couple of points. First off, Biggie, you keep saying that you want to have a constructive conversation with people, but at the same time, you are comparing other board members to 12 year olds or simply dismissing them out of hand. I think people get what they dish out, so be constructive in your feedback yourself.

One member, on an earlier page of this thread pointed out that you tend to be reckless in your decision making. You even said so yourself. The thing I find interesting is that you made an analogy of guns and cars. I'm sorry, but if you're gonna go 97 in a 60 in your car, which can kill me or anyone else on the road with you, how am I supposed to believe you won't be equally reckless with a firearm? I think that's what the Sheriff's Office was trying to convey. You have some trends that they noticed that point to questionable decision making.

I fully agree that you have a right to carry, but also think there is questionable decision making in how you are doing so. I'm curious as to why you were carrying your rifle across the parking lot? Couldn't it have stayed in the car till your buddy showed up? Maybe something prevented that? I dunno..

Also, remember that the parking lot to the KMart is private property, just like the store itself. It's not a public street and it's not like your taking a gun from your house to your car in the driveway/street. I think if you took a step back and add in the context of mass shootings played up in the media you would understand why the cops were called. It sounds like once they understood what was going on, they left you alone. Am I mistaken there? I guess I don't understand how your rights were violated in this instance.

I'd like to make a couple of points. First off, Biggie, you keep saying that you want to have a constructive conversation with people, but at the same time, you are comparing other board members to 12 year olds or simply dismissing them out of hand. I think people get what they dish out, so be constructive in your feedback yourself.

One member, on an earlier page of this thread pointed out that you tend to be reckless in your decision making. You even said so yourself. The thing I find interesting is that you made an analogy of guns and cars. I'm sorry, but if you're gonna go 97 in a 60 in your car, which can kill me or anyone else on the road with you, how am I supposed to believe you won't be equally reckless with a firearm? I think that's what the Sheriff's Office was trying to convey. You have some trends that they noticed that point to questionable decision making.

I fully agree that you have a right to carry, but also think there is questionable decision making in how you are doing so. I'm curious as to why you were carrying your rifle across the parking lot? Couldn't it have stayed in the car till your buddy showed up? Maybe something prevented that? I dunno..

Also, remember that the parking lot to the KMart is private property, just like the store itself. It's not a public street and it's not like your taking a gun from your house to your car in the driveway/street. I think if you took a step back and add in the context of mass shootings played up in the media you would understand why the cops were called. It sounds like once they understood what was going on, they left you alone. Am I mistaken there? I guess I don't understand how your rights were violated in this instance.

Thanks for the feedback.... well when people make post things like you do it's all good.... I appreciate it.... it's just the others that act like they are all hard and say that they would shoot me if they saw me walking down the street open carrying.... or saying that I was doing something when I was not because they can't read. If you have something to say you don't need to talk down on me like your better then me....... not you but in general. You are right about the car and gun.... I must say that now that i'm older I understand more, it sinks in that a car is and can be a weapon too.... sometimes you don't think that a vehicle can kill like a gun can.... your young and feel like nothing can stop or happen to you, and it was a very dumb of me to speed. I have done some stupid things with cars but have not acted in a bad manner with a firearm. I am safe with my weapons and would not do anything that would hurt me or others....
I now am learning more thanks to a lot of the feedback I get and all I can do is to learn and be a better person today and tomorrow.

The whole thing with kmart........ I was simply just walking down the street and meeting at the kmart parking lot. I had no car and needed a ride...it was a last minute meeting spot.... the sheriff's office didn't even come to mind that day. It was Beaverton Police that responded anyways. I do understand that kmart property was private but there were no signs posted and unless someone or a sign tells me no weapons I carry on private property. I have gone inside safeways open carrying ....... no problems there.

You jumped to a lot of conclusions in that post, Hawaiian.

It won't make you better than anyone else.

I'm with him on this one. Biggie seems to simply have a poor lack of judgement, and just wants attention with his guns. (People can deny this all they want, but this is how it comes off to me)

If I saw a guy wandering around with a rifle, shotgun.. basically anything that can pump off rounds quickly into large crowds of people, I'd be concerned.

Maybe I'm a sheeple? I don't know. But wandering around with a rifle in the open seems a poor lack of choice. It's easy and cheap to buy a soft case which eases those immediate concerns.

I'm pretty well conflicted on this one. It seems to be a case of what's legal may not be in one's own best interests to actually do. Yes, it's wrong that people freak like that.
On the other hand, if I came around the block and 5 police were getting out of their cars with AR's I'd quickly make myself scarce, because common sense tells me there may be a firefight and people sometimes mistake goodies for badies.

I understand why you did it, and doubtless it was a lesson to many officers who aren't firearms guys by nature that you were within your rights. That's good, and there may have been no other way that could happen.

I wouldn't do that, nope, I'm too old to risk the hassle.

Also, as someone said, whether or not it's fair many folks would absolutely
start having news flash syndrome.

I really wouldn't want to put them through that, stupid and reactionary as that may be.

Thanks for the feedback.... well when people make post things like you do it's all good.... I appreciate it.... it's just the others that act like they are all hard and say that they would shoot me if they saw me walking down the street open carrying.... or saying that I was doing something when I was not because they can't read. If you have something to say you don't need to talk down on me like your better then me....... not you but in general. You are right about the car and gun.... I must say that now that i'm older I understand more, it sinks in that a car is and can be a weapon too.... sometimes you don't think that a vehicle can kill like a gun can.... your young and feel like nothing can stop or happen to you, and it was a very dumb of me to speed. I have done some stupid things with cars but have not acted in a bad manner with a firearm. I am safe with my weapons and would not do anything that would hurt me or others....
I now am learning more thanks to a lot of the feedback I get and all I can do is to learn and be a better person today and tomorrow.

The whole thing with kmart........ I was simply just walking down the street and meeting at the kmart parking lot. I had no car and needed a ride...it was a last minute meeting spot.... the sheriff's office didn't even come to mind that day. It was Beaverton Police that responded anyways. I do understand that kmart property was private but there were no signs posted and unless someone or a sign tells me no weapons I carry on private property. I have gone inside safeways open carrying ....... no problems there.

I know what you mean about getting frustrated by others posts, especially when they are personal, but don't let it get you down. Just take it with a grain of salt and move on, ya know?

The whole KMart thing makes more sense now. I've done similar things before bringing my shotgun out to my car not in a case. Doesn't seem too big of a deal, but the complex I live in has a pretty big courtyard to get to the street. A couple of my friends freaked out about it a little, and they are gun guys too. They thought it was shady since I live in the middle of Portland and whatnot. I dunno if I'd carry it down the street without a case though, but to each his own.

Overall here, I think you've been able to take some positive stuff from this thread, so good on you :s0155:

Just try not to get too frustrated by a few negative responses here or out in the real world. Sounds like you've had more 'no problems carrying' experiences than problem ones. Good luck!

Years ago in rural Washington Co. a couple buddies & me went plinking. After a long afternoon, we stopped by a little crossroad store to pick up a few things. One buddy had his 22 on his belt. The other buddy had his 9mm on his belt. I didn't.

Walking around in the store, I noticed a clerk get freaked just seeing buddy #1....who was Asian. I was in another part of the store, and a second clerk came out of the rear room....and ran into #2 buddy.....who actually did look a bit unkempt, long haired and perhaps a little....odd.....

The air turned frigid in there, and it got really tense for the clerks AND myself, just as a casual observer. I had come in a little after my buddies and they didn't see me as being with #1 & #2. A little odd, as I was in a concealed carry mode. They had very strained response to 1 & 2, while my own interaction was far less stressful for everyone.

We all made it out of the store and pulled out as a patrol unit pulled in....perhaps a coincidence, maybe not.....

They agreed they had made a tactical blunder in open carry into the store. It could have been a lot worse outcome.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top