Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Washington Co. CHL

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by biggie24420, Nov 9, 2009.

1. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

So I got an email from Washington County concealed handgun department today. They wanted to know why I had been showing up on the police radar hahahahaha.

Last year I happened to go the Multnomah Co. court building with a 1911 mag. with 7 rounds in it. It was an accident and I had forgot that I had that in my bag. Some Sheriff was called and given my mag and then he got all huffy and puffy and said that he was gonna contact Washington Co. and report me. I then went to Washington Co. and talked to them and they laughed at me hahahahah and said that they consider that an honest mistake and that I should be more careful next time.

About three months ago I was by the Beaverton K-mart to meet up with a friend to go shooting. My friend was having a hard time finding my place and so I decided to meet him at K-mart. I then walked down the street with my rifle UNLOADED, glock LOADED & HOLSTERED, a box of ammo, my blue bag. Yeah I know it was messed up but I do have a license and I was legally able to do so. But people saw me and freaked the F out lol. I would too but anyhow someone called the cops. I got to K-mart and took my stuff off(except my loaded pistol holstered) and placed it on the ground and smoked a cig. Just chillin, not doing anything weird and just waiting. I see 2 or 3 cop cars turn in and I thought to myself.... hahahah someone must have stole something from K-mart........ WRONG!!!!! Beaverton PD was sneaking up on me hahahah my friend showed up and I put my rifle and ammo and bag in his trunk. I get in his car and boom..... Beaverton PD was on us like fly on poo. They did their deal and let us go.

Last month, OCT 24, 2009....there was the zombie walk downtown so me and a few friends dressed up like Umbrella Corp. agents or whatever and we had our real firearms with us. Again.... we are all licensed and we were within our rights to do so. Yeah not practical but we were exercising our right to do so. Yeah I know, we were in public and people are like WTF blah blah but bottom line, we were legally able to do what we did. Anyway..... so Portland PD came around and just looked at us. We decided to approach them and ID ourselves and show them our permits and put their minds at ease. They were like :huh: and were asking us why. So we explained and the police went away. About 15 mins later another cop came by and this time he stopped us and told us we couldn't do what we were doing, so I had to explain the law to him. Then he backed off and looked :confused: hahahahahaha. About 10 or so mins later as we were walking we passed two Portland officers, one standing and one in the police car. I looked at them and smiled and waved at them and they had the WTF look on them hahahaha but they said nothing. Now it's been like 45 mins since the first police run-in and now we are at pioneer square and the cop that we first ran into showed up. He was hella cool but he wanted to see our ID cards and CHL licenses. We provided him with all that info and the cop went away and then a short time later me and my friends got tired of the zombies and decided to leave.

Like I said at the top ........ I get this email from one
    Commander Bill Steele
    Washington County Sheriff's Office
    Services Division

Commander Steele contacted me to ask me why I have had so many encounters with police. So I explained to him what happend. Commander Steele had also looked up my driving record and made some comments about my last speeding ticket. My last ticket was on I-84 E. going 97 in a 60. IT WAS DUMB, I KNOW....... so I was told that if I had gone 100 or faster that I would have gotten in trouble. I knew I would have been charged with a few things and to put it nicely I would have gotten bent over. But what I didn't know was that I would have lost my CHL. I guess the cops would have pressed criminal charges and that would effect my Concealed Handgun License. Commander Steele also said that I did not do anything illegal as far as open carrying..... but he just wanted to know why so many run-ins with the police.

So by posting this add.... I just wanted to know if anyone has ever gotten a call from their county with regards to being reported for legally open carrying in public. I understand that the county had some concerns. What is weird to me is that they waited for a while, so it makes me think...... is it that big of a deal to them? why not contact me sooner? or are they just harassing me?
    I do appreciate the commander bringing this up to my attention but something just doesn't feel right. Do they have to wait for someone to have a run-in with the law 3 times then contact him/her? are they racially profiling me because i'm middle eastern?
    So many questions go through my mind....... so if you have any stories or comments lemme know, and PLEASE don't comment with rude messages. Just be honest and fair. Don't be rude :)

oh and if your wondering, YES I would open carry again.... either rifle or pistol.....heck maybe both :winkkiss: I would also contact the non emergency and give them a heads up and act normal when I am in public with my firearm, not pointing it at anyone or anything. I will do it just to exercise my right to do so as an american. :thumbup: I believe that if you have the right to do something you should take advantage of it and do it...... go for it...... don't let the police scare you into thinking you can't do something when the law sez you can.
    Is it practical? NO........ BUT IT IS MY RIGHT TO DO SO AND I WILL DO IT. Brave men and women die so I can have my rights.... so that I can have my american way of living... I have no problem with the police asking me why i'm doing it and conducting an investigation. I will not tolerate intemedation by those who are suppose to uphold the laws and "serve/protect" me.

2. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

never had a situation like that before, but i like the fact that the police contacted you to ask instead of just revoking your CHL. I feel like here in seattle there never would have been a call/contact, just action. Are they obligated to contact you in Oregon? Or here in Seattle for that matter?
    P.S. hope i'm not steerin your thread in the wrong direction

3. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

A plastic rifle case or soft sleeve is a heck of a lot cheaper than all of the unwanted attention. Secondly, your speeding ticket, the court house incident and the KMART hubbub demonstrate a certain lack of judgement on your part. I know that you're technically not doing anything illegal with your open carry technique but the fundamental idea is to stay off the police RADAR. Try not to draw unwanted attention to yourself and your firearms.
    That's my $.02.
    Worth everything you've paid for it.

4. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

Isn't the purpose of CONCEALED carry to keep everyone in the free world from knowing you are armed??? sounds like you could stand a good honing.

5. biggie24420

Ok well I appreciate the feedback, keep them coming, thanks. :wiggle:

6. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

+1

Now i don't have much room to talk, as far as the speeding goes(I own a sport bike). But i agree with pdxgs. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should. And I don't think it really matters what color you are, when your carrying a gun in public. People are going to freak out either way.

7. VWguy69

VWguy69 Forest Grove, oryGUN New Member

maybe you would like that rifle case I offered you now......lol;):p:cartman:

8. onearmedswordsman

onearmedswordsman Hillsboro, OR Member

credibility and good will. that's what you are using up every time you do pop up in the police radar screen. You use it up now stupidly and when you really need it you won't have it.

9. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

His Credibility is fine.

He has done nothing Illegal. That's all that matters.

Good to have you here, Biggie!

10. biggie24420

:thumbup:

11. rsmccsman

rsmccsman Hillsboro Go Blazers!

The point of concealed carry is that I am the only one that has to know that I am armed. If I am discreet, I can be anonymous and invisible and not have to freak out any little old ladies or over zealous cops who get all weirded out about guns. If you are doing concealed carry right it doesn't matter because no one knows, drawing the attention of the police or freaked out citizens who think the sight of a guns means your a bad guy is never a good time and displaying our guns in public is not usually good PR for our gun rights. CHLs are great because the public doesn't have to know, and what they don't know won't hurt them. I have walked up to the police while armed had conversations with them, I don't bring up the subject and it has never come up. If you are going to carry concealed then be a law abiding citizen. That includes how you drive. Use your head. Be discreet why would anyone want to be on the government's radar? I am actually glad that Wash County was paying attention enough to see what was up. Think how bad it would be if they ignored warning signs and someone with a CHL did something really bad to screw it up for the rest of us. Every time somebody uses a gun Like Hasan did it sets the left wing propaganda machine in motion to take away our rights. We need to be the best citizens so that people will eventually feel safest when we are around.

12. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

+1

13. MilitaryMan84

MilitaryMan84 Mcminnvile, Oregon Member

I think that with all the shootings going on your lucky someone with a CHL didn't shoot your *** in front of Kmart once they saw you walking around with a gun. i would have been watching you very very very carefully and would have called the cops as well.

14. wakejoe

You would call the cops to make a report where nothing illegal was happening?

I mean, if some thug is jumping around and showing off guns from the back of his car, I get it. But some guy with it not even in his hands? Seriously?

Someone with a CHL would end up in jail for shooting his ***. "Threat to my life" and all.

Bad idea or not, he did nothing illegal. You people should be more worried about those that DON'T want you to know they have a rifle. Until the very last second.

15. MilitaryMan84

MilitaryMan84 Mcminnvile, Oregon Member

I would rather Call the cops and be wrong then do nothing and hear on the news later that night that a bunch of people got shot up.

16. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

:thumbup:

17. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

I think you miss the point.

I could strap on a chest rig, stuff it with unloaded magazines, put a magazine in my AK (Also unloaded) and then walk around, with the AK strapped to my back.

And I wouldn't be breaking a law. But if you see some guy walking around with AK Mags strapped to his chest, and the rifle on him, what's the first thing you're going to think?

I very highly doubt the first thing you would say is, "Man that guy really loves his rights"

18. wakejoe

Actually, yes, it would be.

I would be a lot more worried about someone acting shifty, exercising poor muzzle/trigger discipline, etc.

Not to some guy, sitting, not even holding the unloaded rifle.

Just like the guy at the Healthcare protests, carrying a pistol and rifle on his back. Is he trying to hide it? Is he pointing it at people? Is he doing.. Well.. Anything? Nope.

19. wakeadrian

wakeadrian Beaverton Member

The creeps trying to hide something and acting sketchy are much more bothersome to me than the guy walking around fully confident in knowing what he is doing.

20. biggie24420

Thank you wakejoe.... I appreciate you and other's sticking up for me and our rights.

FOR THE REST:
    If people wanna freak out and call the cops that is OK...... but don't be so narrow minded, keep in mind that people have rights and could/have licenses and are enjoying their rights. I would be concerned also but who would be calm and minding their own business if they intend to do harm? who would flash their firearms and not think they are gonna get caught? If you wanted to go and hurt someone, would you show off your gun or would you be sneaky till the last minute? I don't mean harm to anyone unless they are gonna take my life or a life of an innocent person. :D