JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gurkhas are Buddhists or Hindu.

What do your native American soldiers do for spiritual guidance? We don't have to deal with that in Canada - the Mohawks are Christians. My last MCWO, a full-blood Blackfoot, was also a Christian.

The documentary I watched on British Regimental traditions, the Ghurka shaman was most certainly not a Hindu or a Buddhist.

The documentary I watched on British Regimental traditions, the Ghurka shaman was most certainly not a Hindu or a Buddhist.

And we are talking here about military appointments, such as padres.

You, however, are talking about a Gurkha on home leave using his village holy man/shaman to cure a supposed illness. He might have been a Gurkha civilian - they are, after all, an ethnic group, but there is no way that he was an official appointed by the crown to oversee the spiritual well-being of the troops, which is the role of a padre in the Armed Forces.

I can therefore positively state that NO shaman appointments in the British Armed forces.

Take a look at this passing-out parade from late last year, at Catterick Garrison in North Yorkshire, and tell me if you see some guy with feathers in his hat and a raggedy-a$$ed loin cloth breathing smoke following them around.

Last Edited:
Just a couple of modern-day 'religions' that have no representation the Armed Forces of the Crown. No 'pastafarians' or worshippers of Great Cthulhu either, AFAIK, that is.

K... I get the tree worshipper reference, tho I'm not sure how that ties into the Seventh-Day people. But what the heck is a "newt-??? You mean like snake handler?

A newt is a small amphibian, like a little lizard that lives in ponds.

My comment is NOT a serious one - the use of the term 'newt-fondlers and tree-worshippers' is one used here to denote wacky religious beliefs of the off-the-wall kind.

The role of the military police in garrison is very different from their role in the field.

TRUTH!!

When I was in, the Combat MP's trained to counter Spetnaz operations, among other unsavory things. The "typical" Army (combat) MP platoon consisted of 32 personnel, 1 Platoon CMDR, 1 PSG, 3 SQD LDRs, 9 Team LDRs.... consisting of three 10 man squads (three 3 man teams with a squad leader)

Every team had an M60 machine gun (9 total) with 800-1200 rounds each.

Every squad and team leader had a M203 (12 total) 210 rounds, and a dozen 40mm rounds each.

Everyone had a sidearm 1911 or M9 (32 total) 3-5 mags each.

Everyone else not carrying an M203 or M60 had an M16 (11 total) 210 rounds each.

Every squad also was authorized the M72 LAW (initially 3 per squad) up to nine total in their TOE.

Eleven M151A2 1/4-ton trucks with M60 pintle-mount (aka "jeeps") with 1/4-ton trailer.

Each MP company had three MP platoons (sometimes 1-3 more attached platoons from garrisoned companies) and one HQ platoon.

That was the firepower of 3-4 "standard" infantry platoons... (we were perpetually sleep deprived, under-sexed and grouchy AF) you really didn't want to find yourself going against an MP element.... it'd be a ruckus and a half you'd not soon forget... if you survived.

I quickly learned the "cops and robbers" mission of the MP's did NOT appeal to me, and re-upping into the infantry and qualifying 11B was a piece of cake after 3yrs of that. ;)

Last Edited:
A newt is a small amphibian, like a little lizard that lives in ponds.

My comment is NOT a serious one - the use of the term 'newt-fondlers and tree-worshippers' is one used here to denote wacky religious beliefs of the off-the-wall kind.

Yeah, I know what a newt is, just never had heard of a newt-fondler and wondered if you were referring to a specific religion. I understand you were joking, but I'm sure 7th Day believers would not appreciate being associated with tree worshipping, it's kind of an irreverent remark towards an established religion. Not cool. And no, I'm not a 7th Dayer. I just think people should have some respect for others dearly held religious beliefs. Newt-fondling, tree worshipping, and climate change nutballs excepted tho. ;)

The Seventh-day Adventists were not mentioned by me, but the portmanteau title seventh day tree worshippers was. Neither are overly-represented in the British Armed Forces, in fact, I'd offer the opinion that there are none, period.

As a gesture of good will I'll remove all reference to anything that might be construed as referring to the SDA following.

Last Edited:
The Seventh-day Adventists were not mentioned by me, but the portmanteau title seventh day tree worshippers was. Neither are overly-represented in the British Armed Forces, in fact, I'd offer the opinion that there are none, period.

As a gesture of good will I'll remove all reference to anything that might be construed as referring to the SDA following.

Dang! You made me look up a fancy word!!! I got a learning experience out of this... that's not fair. ;):)

Apologisements, Dear Sir.

Hélas, you caught me at the end of a long conversation with a friend in Québec, who pretends not to speak any English. He is a very useful source of a location in which to rest our family heads when we are over there, in a 'city' called Trois Pistoles. However, the name has nothing to do with guns, but a valuable goblet lost in the St Lawrence River nearby that was valued at three pistoles - a not-inconsiderable sum of money at the time of its occurrence.

AAMOI, just take a minute to count the number of words in the post that have a French origin or derivation. :)

Last Edited:
Been trying to figure out how to say this. I agree Wars are not won with pistols. Let us just say that a 45acp saved the life of a certain 19 year old back in 1969 on a day when the M-16 took a dump. That's all I have to say about that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top