JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I talked to an FFL who also happens to be a retired LEO, and we both agree on the merits of this: WSP is a very fine organization, and very good at their primary job of traffic enforcement. Not always so great at criminal law enforcement (no offense to any troopers). As has been stated, this should have gone through the BATFE. I think it was a rookie mistake and not a nefarious plot to mine information. Now that being said, I think someone else has already mentioned that once a government agency has information, they are not likely to shred what they don't need out of it....

A hello everybody....the letter is asking for the shops assistance, but is NOT required to comply. The detective has some work to do and wants the guns shops to do all the track work. Is the AR still missing? Or has it been confiscated and the WSP is trying to track it's history? Why ALL sales between the two dates?

If you had read through this thread, you'll see this is what everyone is asking.

Here's the Seattle GRE take on this:

WSP jars gun dealers, sets off firestorm, ATF ‘not consulted’

A detective with the Washington State Patrol ignited a firestorm yesterday when licensed gun dealers across the Evergreen State received a letter asking for documents listing sales of any AR-15 rifle over the past nine months, along with the names and personal information of people who bought those guns.

<broken link removed>

Yeah...All things considered, I'm thinking this is a back door way to make a list for nefarious purposes. Hard to think of a legitimate reason to cast such a wide net. Except maybe laziness and no CLUE.

I'll make up a BIG batch of popcorn and get into my comfy chair and watch this one...

I talked to an FFL that actually spoke with the WSP Detective.
They are looking for a Colt and wanted all info an ARs in case parts were interchanged.
How F'ing stupid are these people? The receiver is the only thing with a serial number anyway.
And I do still believe it's the one stolen from WSP that they are looking for.

I too received this "request" for information and felt it to be a possible violation of rights. In all my years as a dealer I have never had a blanket request for detailed personal information like this and so was immediately suspicious. The lack of a serial number for the "missing/stolen AR-15" was the first red flag. After a few legal inquiries I decided that unless they come to me with a subpeona or a warrant I will just ignore the letter. I then was given a link to this site and found that the letter went out to most of the dealers in Washington State.

I AM APPALLED AT THE LENGTHS THE WASHINGTON STATE PATROL HAS TAKEN TO FIND ONE MISSING OR STOLEN AR-15! I do not believe this is truly the intent. I also do not believe this is an error by a rookie investigator as was suggested earlier. The letter was sent out by the Captain of the Criminal Investigations Division on behalf of this investigator. He certainly would be no rookie. This appears to be a very large scale fishing expedition to me. Obviously we need to be extremely vigilant to safeguard our rights. I hope there will be a thorough investigation of this situation so that it will not happen again.

I too received this "request" for information and felt it to be a possible violation of rights. In all my years as a dealer I have never had a blanket request for detailed personal information like this and so was immediately suspicious. The lack of a serial number for the "missing/stolen AR-15" was the first red flag. After a few legal inquiries I decided that unless they come to me with a subpeona or a warrant I will just ignore the letter. I then was given a link to this site and found that the letter went out to most of the dealers in Washington State.

I AM APPALLED AT THE LENGTHS THE WASHINGTON STATE PATROL HAS TAKEN TO FIND ONE MISSING OR STOLEN AR-15! I do not believe this is truly the intent. I also do not believe this is an error by a rookie investigator as was suggested earlier. The letter was sent out by the Captain of the Criminal Investigations Division on behalf of this investigator. He certainly would be no rookie. This appears to be a very large scale fishing expedition to me. Obviously we need to be extremely vigilant to safeguard our rights. I hope there will be a thorough investigation of this situation so that it will not happen again.

You are an example of an FFL who should be fully supported

Talked to WSP this am..........They are trying to place a new Lower Reciever into the hands of one of the person's of interest to make a case.....They think that the gun may have / was parted and the reciever replaced with a new unit over the counter. I asked for the names I should look for, nope, can't do that. How about just FAX over my whole book?

Talked to WSP this am..........They are trying to place a new Lower Reciever into the hands of one of the person's of interest to make a case.....They think that the gun may have / was parted and the reciever replaced with a new unit over the counter. I asked for the names I should look for, nope, can't do that. How about just FAX over my whole book?

Uhm NOPE. If they want that they need either more info to the FFL or a Warrant. Nope, Nada, Not Even.

something definitely smells here... :geek:

This was just sent to me from my FFL... apparently he did get the letter as well:

"Yes, got the letter and will ignore it. The act of buying an AR15 is not criminal nor is it open to investigation or invasion of privacy to those who purchased an AR15.Now if the WSP sent me a letter requesting about a particular serial number of a particular AR15 that was used in a criminal manner, I would hand over the purchasers information to aid in the criminal investigation. But, last time I checked, buying an AR15 is not a criminal activity"

I'm an FFL & I would Never provide info to anyone who is not employed by the ATF. Here in Arizona I can be charged for releasing ATF's information to anyone who is not ATF. Call the ATF yourself & ask.

Photocopy your arse with the words "kiss it" and send them a fax of that.

I find that very disturbing from a civil rights point of view.

Something smells here.
Phoney letter?

No, I got this from the NRA. Please use the 'LINK's" in the text to contact your Rep's

Washington State Patrol on Apparent Fishing Expedition
Please Contact Your Legislators Today!

The National Rifle Association has learned that the Washington State Patrol (WSP) has sent a letter, apparently to every firearms dealer in the state of Washington, as part of an investigation into “a missing/stolen AR-15.” The WSP has requested an incredible amount of information regarding dealer’s sales and acquisitions of AR-15’s and lower receivers over the last nine months. They want names, dates of births, addresses and more… from the past nine months! A statewide search through a mountain of information for ONE missing/stolen AR-15?

It seems preposterous to the NRA that the WSP would conceivably request this massive amount of sensitive data, in a search for ONE AR-15! It is the NRA’s view that there must be more to this story, a lot more. The NRA has placed two phone calls into the WSP today in search of clarifying information but has yet to receive any response on the matter. The NRA has also followed up with a letter of inquiry which notes that dealers are under no obligation to comply with the request.

We will keep our members apprised of any information that is forthcoming from the WSP. In the meantime, NRA suggests that you contact your State Legislators and let them know about this far-reaching and overly-broad request of firearm dealers by the state law enforcement agency. Ask your legislators to contact the WSP in an effort to find out what is going on in this case. You may contact your state Representative or state Senator by clicking here. If you don’t know who your elected officials are you may look them up here.>>>http://www.capwiz.com/nra/state/main/?state=WA&view=myofficials

Also, please contact Governor Chris Gregoire, let her know about the requests currently being asked of Washington’s firearms dealers by the WSP and urge her to find out what is going on in this case. You can contact the Governor by clicking here.>>>Contact Governor Gregoire

WA State Patrol issues mea culpa letter over AR-15 flap

The Washington State Patrol has issued a mea culpa letter that acknowledges the agency “clearly caused concern” among Evergreen State firearms dealers over a request that they provide names, addresses and other information about every AR-15 sale since last July 1.

<broken link removed>

Unless they have other evidence I do not see any way for them to make such a case even if they got obtained that info. Uppers and other parts are not serial numbered or otherwise, unique

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top