JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Self-defense is a basic human right, voting is not.

I don't mind foreigners carrying a firearm, but their lack of citizenship should make them subject to careful scrutiny. If I went to a foreign country, I wouldn't expect to get bestowed with all the same privileges as an actual citizen of that country, even if I was employed there and paying income taxes.

Self-defense is a basic human right, voting is not.
One thing people seem to forget, is that there is no such thing as a basic human right. If that was true we would have no cases of people being denied certain rights. The only "rights" bestowed on anyone in nature is the survival of the fittest. Meaning you only have a right to defend yourself if you can do so forcibly. Anyone stronger than you would have the right to make you unable to defend yourself any longer. Anything beyond that is bestowed on you by your community.

I just saw this thread and wanted to add my thoughts. :)

Armed self defense is a "basic human right" or whatever you want to call it and it should be globally recognized as such. It's bad enough that anyone has to put up all of the gun and CCW laws but for as long as they exist they should apply equally to everyone regardless of citizenship. This is one area where many other countries (Canada for example) have better gun laws than the US.

It is not one of the "basic" civil right extended to non-residents...just as many civil rights are not.

PS: You might want to read Amendment 15. I know it is not considered in the first 10 amendments, but it has equal legal standing.
<broken link removed>

The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land and applies to everyone inside the territories and states of the United States of America. In fact, it is only with the ratification of the Constitution, that the United States even exists at all. If you reread the 15th Amendment you will find that is specifically addresses citizens of the United States. However, other parts of the Constitution do not specifically address citizens, such as the 2nd Amendment.

In The District of Columbia vs. Heller, the Supreme Court specifically ruled that the 2nd Amendment protected the individuals right to bear arms, not a citizens. The legal language used is important. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

Sure...I would hope every non-citizen coming to this country would have to pass a certain degree of additional scrutiny before being afforded the right to carry a firearm and own dangerous weapons. That clear enough for ya? :)
To get temporary or permanent residency you already have to jump through a battery of hoops. Pass a bunch of checks and meet certain criteria. Only thing left would be to get certified through an instructor on firearm safety. Which doesnt sound like a bad idea.

During the immigration appication process I was required to supply a record of my UK military service and police criminal record (which was basically a letter stating I had no records).
They don't just let anyone move over here!

As the other thread stated you have to be a resident for 3years before you can apply for the CHL. By that time you are eligible for applicationfir citizenship.

The form that is required for aliens to apply for the CHL is the Declaration of Intent to obtain US citizenship.

The main reason I'm keeping my British Citizenship is it keeps my options open if I ever decide to move back there or send the kids to school there.

Also anyone who has served and sworn an oath of allegiance knows it is difficult to go back on that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top