JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw this on another forum and thought it was worth sharing.

Warning: Tagging Gun Owners
Posted on January 4, 2012 by Georgetown PD

Gun lovers public service announcement: While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that's less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I've heard of this in Texas. Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check you car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.

This next comment from a Gun Site instructor:

I don't know how widespread this is becoming, but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.
Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town.

BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.

Hate this crap.I won't take more guns with me than I can carry when I go places. I'd hate to be walking the dogs and come back to my own gun pointed at me.Otherwise the dogs are with the guns

I guess it wouldn't make sense for the range to step up security,now would it?
And I guess I would act like I did when on the Harley and sit as to where I could see the vehicle.Maybe build a safe in the vehicle. I mean if you can afford a $4000 1911 and a $10,000 under over,can't you afford to have a safe built in the truck?
Slow em down a bit.

Good infomation feedback

Be surprised how many people will ignore activity around a car at a big event. With their attention focused elsewhere.
Does not take much to open a car or truck - particularly shell tops.
Need to treat it like - everything is at risk - either carry it with you, or park where you can see your car when you eat.

Good infomation feedback

Be surprised how many people will ignore activity around a car at a big event. With their attention focused elsewhere.
Does not take much to open a car or truck - particularly shell tops.
Need to treat it like - everything is at risk - either carry it with you, or park where you can see your car when you eat.

90 seconds, in and out with the prize.

I saw this on another forum and thought it was worth sharing.

Warning: Tagging Gun Owners
Posted on January 4, 2012 by Georgetown PD

Gun lovers public service announcement: While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that's less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I've heard of this in Texas. Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check you car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.

This next comment from a Gun Site instructor:

I don't know how widespread this is becoming, but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.
Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town.

BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.

A story similar to this has been going around the internet for at least the last 4 or 5 months. have there been any real news story's linked to these story's?

Is this supposed to be a surprise, anytime there are large gatherings there's going to be crime. If you're shopping in a mall and make multiple stops to your car to drop items off, you're victimizing yourself. Everyone should know not to leave valuables in your car.

One of the nicest things about Four Corners Rod and Gun club, Albany Rifle and Pistol Club and as far as I can remember Tri County is that all vehicles are parked inside a fence. At ARPC and Four Corners the ranges are so remote on basically dead end streets it would be almost impossible to follow a vehicle with out being noticed.

BUT YES ALWAYS USE CAUTION

You will not find any real stories regarding this because these stories are completely bogus. They do not even make any logistical sense. The likelihood of finding a marked car later in another unrelated place is so remote that it is not even worth considering. Especially when you consider just how are the tires marked? Does it come off? How do the coordinate what mark is used? How do they know where to look later? It would make much more sense to follow someone home from a gunshop and learn where they live. That doesn't really happen much either. These things are never as rampant as some people would like to believe.

Sounds completely bogus to me. I just googled "georgetown pd texas tagging gun owners". Went through four pages of results finding it only on other gun forums, in the same form as the OP. Can you say "Troll"...?

Sounds completely bogus to me. I just googled "georgetown pd texas tagging gun owners". Went through four pages of results finding it only on other gun forums, in the same form as the OP. Can you say "Troll"...?

I wouldn't call TROLL on this, we're not on a fishing web site where people enjoy that sort of thing after all.
Just what I see as a member trying to save other firearm entheusiests from the worst, having their guns end up on the streets! And maybe jumped the gun (Pun?), so to speak, on the post without some research first.

Mike

Although there was nothing about it on Snopes or UrbanLegend, I very, VERY, HIGHLY suspect that this story is 100% bullsh*t. Everything about it smacks of someone who invented a story just to scare people. Pure crap.

No indeed. I did not really mean any slight to the original poster. After I posted, it dawned on me that it could be taken that way. I've posted stuff that I later found was BS. It happens. What I meant was the person that dreamed this BS up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top