JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Among those issues is the extra weight guns add to an already heavy load hikers carry.
When I was a major backpacker my 4" mod 19 or a 1911 was always on my hip - even when my pack started out at sometimes 70+ lbs
It's not always easy to keep the gun clean.
No more than OCing anywhere outdoors - I do this often with no cleaning issues.
And open carry goes against what King called the "spirit of the trail."
Uh, yea, Kum Bai Ya and all that.

Serious question, love to hear your real reactions.

What would you do if you were hiking/camping and a crazy dude actually came up to you and said "I'm gonna pour gas on your tent and burn you up tonight" or whatever? I take threats VERY seriously, added to the mix, thousands of horror flix I've seen.
Can't shoot him on the spot and not sure I'd want to escalate the issue to the point of violence, but I'd see SOMETHING happening if it was me. He'd be run off at the least and then I'd wonder if he'd be stalking us. My more evil side thinks I'd gag and tie him to a tree to prevent the threat from getting carried out.

What's your reaction to situation Sanchez was face with?

First, I would try to establish coms with the authorities. Most people take a cell phone with them everywhere.

Plus I have a small handheld dual band that I would take along.

Then I would move on towards the closest exit from the trail - I wouldn't stick around, even if I had to hike out in the dark. All the time I would have a gun handy.

Serious question, love to hear your real reactions.

What would you do if you were hiking/camping and a crazy dude actually came up to you and said "I'm gonna pour gas on your tent and burn you up tonight" or whatever? I take threats VERY seriously, added to the mix, thousands of horror flix I've seen.
Can't shoot him on the spot and not sure I'd want to escalate the issue to the point of violence, but I'd see SOMETHING happening if it was me. He'd be run off at the least and then I'd wonder if he'd be stalking us. My more evil side thinks I'd gag and tie him to a tree to prevent the threat from getting carried out.

Since I would be armed I would try to shoo him away and call the authorities if there was service there. Assuming there was more than one of us we would sleep in shifts if we had to spend the night there. Of course not going to shoot some kook who is just talking trash. I would not be left to try to run away from said kook when he came at me with a knife though either.

When I was a major backpacker my 4" mod 19 or a 1911 was always on my hip - even when my pack started out at sometimes 70+ lbs

No more than OCing anywhere outdoors - I do this often with no cleaning issues.

Uh, yea, Kum Bai Ya and all that.

I did not bother to read the link, assuming these are some of what was in it? Sounds like the author is just some anti gun moron. Coming up with any argument he can against those evil guns. Great for him, don't carry. I long ago gave up making an argument with people like that. When someone tells me they are rabidly anti gun I just shrug and say "great, bad people have to eat too. You will make a great meal." Much of my family on Wife's side is rabid anti gun. They don't even bother to bring it up around me any more as they just get really angry when I shrug them off. Of course if something happens where society breaks down for a short time they will want to stay with us no doubt LOL

Senseless.

I always carry on trail, sometimes concealed but often times open. My girlfriend and I were discussing carrying a firearm earlier this week and she asked "for cougars and bears?" My reply was "I've spent 30 years in the Pacific Northwest and the scariest things I've encountered in the wild walked on two legs"

Stay safe and vigilant but also remember to enjoy the outdoors.

For Mr. Sanchez: Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Senseless.

I always carry on trail, sometimes concealed but often times open. My girlfriend and I were discussing carrying a firearm earlier this week and she asked "for cougars and bears?" My reply was "I've spent 30 years in the Pacific Northwest and the scariest things I've encountered in the wild walked on two legs"

Many decades ago one of the first times I sold a hand gun it was for this. Ran an ad in the local paper. Guy who worked at paper came over to buy it. He was probably 10 or so years older than me. Admitted he had never owned a gun, had until then thought no one really needed to. Weekend before he and his girl were hiking in the great outback. All of a sudden they walked up and a group of very rough looking guys camped out. He said he could not get away from them fast enough and told his girl he was never going out there again until he bought a gun. I told him of a good place to get some lessons and learn to shoot. :)

After a buddy and I stumbled upon someone's grow operation when we were picking sandshrell (sp) mushrooms I didn't carry in the woods. Now I do as I'm older, wiser (I hope) and not as invincible as I once was.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top