JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in a gun shop the other day kind of looking for a 308 on an AR platform. The shop owner took me aside and asked if I was set on the 308, if not then he had an option that I may be interested in. He showed me a S&W MP in 300 AAC Blackout, it looked very interesting.

So I thought I would jump on here and ask what you guys think of the round. I have read a bit of stuff on the round but not a ton as I just did this on Saturday and have been working since. So I would appreciate any input as to weather or not this would be a good round or not. It would be for plinking and also as a home defender if needed. I do already have an AR and like it a lot, was thinking of giving it to the wife and then getting another gun. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am sure I will get flamed for this but I will survive.

The .300 (AAC, Fireball, Whisper, .300-221, .300-223, ect) was made for one reason which was to be used with subsonic ammo and a silencer. Now it is being hyped as the next "must have" gun.

The .300 XXX while it is a .30 caliber fall FAR short of being a .308 or other "high power" .30 cal. Even though you can load lighter/faster bullets you get performance you have something that is in the "power" range of 7.62x39 AK/SKS), .30-30, .300 Savage, ect.

With all that said I have owned a .300 Whiper AR for about 5 years now and like it. I ONLY run subsonic ammo suppressed though it.

300 blk has its place. The 300 Blackout is essentially 300 whisper with a slight modification to the shoulder angle. It was originally developed for use with a suppressor. Essentially it is a .223 / 5.56 cartridge case that has been cut at the neck and re sized with a new shoulder/neck at 30 cal. If you plan on running a suppressor at some point on it the 300 blk is a great way to go. If you plan on shooting long range - say over 600 yards - you would be much better served with .308. On the bright side - if you decide the 300 blk isn't for you and you would prefer .223 the only part you need to change is the barrel. If you have any thoughts to use the gun for hunting big game I would skip the 300blk and go to the .308.

Looks like Nwcid beat me to it. You could pick up a 300 blk upper and drop it on your existing AR and see how you like it, you might also consider other .308 platforms such as the FAL, Galil, etc.

30M1 110gr 1900fps with 880 ft-Ibf
300 Blackout 125gr 2215fps with 1360 ft-Ibf at 600yards 1150fps dropped -177" if zeroed at 100yds
308 Win/NATO 150gr 2820fps with 2648 ft-Ibf

Savage dropped plans to introduce the 300Blackout in their line due to unacceptable long rang accuracy.

If you want a .308 you want something completely different then the .300 Blackout

All numbers given above are down and dirty estimates.

I saw a show comparing the 5.56, the 7.62/39 and the 300 blackout. the consensus was the 300 blackout had about the same accuracy as the 7.62 with about the same drop but had the penetration of the 5.56. Over all I was not impressed. then again, it was not a super scientific test.
Honestly, id go 308

Nice wild hog caliber, maybe for Yotes too.

If you get a super deal it certainly would be worth considering. I do wonder about ammo cost down the road though. I like the 223 and the 7.62x39 since the ammo is so darn cheap.

Thanks for the input guys. Yea I know I could drop a 300blk on my current AR but was planning on the wife using that one, then I could get another rifle. :) I just wanted to see what people had to say about my idea is all. I like the idea of having the 300blk for suppressed shooting when I get a suppressor. So I guess that I am going to be looking for a 308 AR platform.

So that being said, any good ideas on that end? I am looking for something less than 2K that is still decent. It will be the same role as the AR, home defence if need be and some plinking and maybe some long range stuff.

I own most, 308 is clumsy/ heavy for home D and for humping around for miles. I do like the AR platform for both though .

300 BLK is not really a long range round . it's roll is great for light weight 30 cal punch in a small , fast, accurate package.

Lots is misunderstood about the BLK, (mostly from people who don't own them!) This vid should help you a little. 300 BLACKOUT YEAR - YouTube

FWIW, I love 300 BLK but it may not be for you .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top