JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That is lightweight, preferably with synthetic stock (or one I can add to it), and definitely on the precision side (accurate) and will handle anything from CB up to LR.

I have a number of Ruger 10/22s and I like them, but they won't usually handle anything but LR (I know Volquartsen sells a .22 short mag for the 10/22, but that isn't really what I want).

I want stainless because this is for hunting in the PNW. I want a lightweight rimfire hunting rifle that is precise enough for hunting and maybe even for target shooting. I would eventually figure out a way to put a Scout Scope on it (I am a true believer in Scout Scopes).

I was looking at the CZ 452 Scout, but I am not sure whether it will feed anything but .22 LR (you can add a mag to it, taking out the single shot adapter), but it is blued - CZ doesn't seem to offer any stainless rifles.

I see where the CZ 455 is allowing the owner to switch barrels (.17 HMR, .22 LR, .22 WMR?)? How well does that work? What are the limitations?

I was thinking about a Marlin bolt action - maybe the 915YS?

I don't particularly care that it is single shot, although a tube feed would maybe be better.

That said, maybe a T/C Encore is what I should get?

I've wanted one of those anyway - they are just seem on the expensive side for a single shot.

Thoughts?

I looked at the 455 also for the barrel interchangeability and was told that you would have to rezero the scope each time barrel was removed. It sounded like if you removed your barrel then decided to put same back on, it would need to be dialed back in.

I noticed that rimfire barrels are only available for the Contender and not the Encore.

Also, the cost of the Encore and a different barrel approaches the cost of a whole rifle barrels seem to start at about $400 each. :eek:

I know you said bolt, but have you looked at pump action? One, you can get a tubular magazine that holds more than 10 rounds (and the proper diameter aluminum tube makes a great mag recharger) and (from a very ancient memory) they can shoot almost anything in the 22 rim family.

elsie

I know you said bolt, but have you looked at pump action? One, you can get a tubular magazine that holds more than 10 rounds (and the proper diameter aluminum tube makes a great mag recharger) and (from a very ancient memory) they can shoot almost anything in the 22 rim family.

elsie
Examples?

I did look at lever actions but I don't recall seeing anything in stainless in .22 rimfire

Examples?

I did look at lever actions but I don't recall seeing anything in stainless in .22 rimfire

I recalled seeing one a while back, so I checked around and it turns out it's a now-discontinued Taurus Model 62. I seem to have conflated it with the one that was around when I was growing up that would shoot any 22 rimfire (22LR down to CB), but that was an old blued Winchester now that I think about it.

Sorry for the confusion. I think the biggest stumbling block is the stainless requirement.

elsie

I guess I am not quite understanding the end result, why not just go for a 17HMR and be done more power, velocity ? I know you know that Heritic so what is the end result priority ?

Go with me for a minute Heretic. Model 12 Remington pump shoots s, l, lr, not sure about CB's. It's not stainless, but you could cerecoat it. Rifle is very light and breaks down at the action. Shorten the barrel to the length of the tube or shorten both maybe. Mount a LER scope on the barrel, you'd have to design a mount. Anyway it kinda gets you there. Good luck, nice concept.

That will only shot 22LR, read the first line again.

He is after:

1. A tube feed so it will handle CB through .22LR
2. Stainless Steel
3. Barrel 18.5" or under
4. Bolt Action
5. Would prefer a synthetic stock.

Pretty tall order.

Actually he states he doesn't care if its a single shot and a Savage MKII FSS will easily chamber and fire any .22 from CB to .22LR and Stinger length cases. It just won't do it from the 5 or 10rd mags. SO in fact he would have both the ODD ammo ability of a single shot and the repeater ability of the magazine. He can even get a single shot adapter for the Savage.

As to the 15.5" barrel since the FSS does not mount a front sight having it cut and rechrowned is inexpensive or he could even buy the tool and do it himself.

I guess I am not quite understanding the end result, why not just go for a 17HMR and be done more power, velocity ? I know you know that Heritic so what is the end result priority ?
Because I am a prepper and I think .22 rimfire ammo (CB to LR, maybe even WMR) will be a lot more available, and .22 LR is a lot less expensive for practice.

I don't own a .22 WMR yet, but maybe someday I will get one. For now, I own more .22 rimfire firearms than any other caliber I own. Let's see; three Ruger 10/22s, M6 Scout, Pack Rifle and 3 handguns that I can remember. I intend to get more with no intention of stopping. The .22 rimfire is my favorite gun to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top