Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wanted...Mossberg Slug Barrel, 20 ga.

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories Wanted' started by WAYNO, Dec 11, 2013.

1. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Looking for a Mossberg 500 slug barrel, smooth bore, 20 ga, 18.5" or 20"

Thanks.

WAYNO.
    Oregon City

2. WAYNO

I have a 26" vent rib barrel with screw in choke tubes. I'm hoping to turn this into a combo.

WAYNO.

3. WAYNO

It'd shoot them, but with no rifling and no sights, it'd be worthlessly inaccurate. Rifled slugs work very well in smooth bores, but a feller would need sights to be worthwhile at anything but very close range.

WAYNO.

4. WAYNO

Ya know, we lose something in the translation when we mix old technology descriptions with newer descriptions.

In the old days, when we said slug barrels, it was a smooth bore to be used with rifled slugs or buck shot. The rifling of the slug probably does little to impart stability to the slug, but the hollow base of the slug causes it to fly like an arrow, with quite acceptable accuracy. I've shot many of these, and with rifle sights or a scope, they are quite effective and very powerful.

Now, enter the sabot slug. Essentially a bullet encased in a sacrificial plastic capsule. The bullet design itself is not self-stabilizing, so the bullet must be caused to spin. Modern rifled barrels in shotguns cause this sabot round to spin. The round travels at higher velocities than the old rifled (or hollow base) slug, and is effective to twice or three times the range of the old fashioned slugs.

So, when an old feller like me says slug barrel, we're talking of a smoothbore barrel, shorter than a bird-hunting barrel, often with sights, and can be used with rifled slugs or buckshot. Some folks might even call this barrel a home defense barrel. They are often marketed as such.

And, that is what I'm looking for, a short barrel for defensive use.

WAYNO.

5. WAYNO

Here's the scenario...I found a brand new 20 ga Mossberg for a really good price and figured I'd get the extra barrel and have an extra defensive gun. I have searched everywhere, including Mossberg, and the 20 ga short barrels are not available.

I've pretty much given up on the project. If I find a barrel, that'd be great. If I don't, I've already got the shotgun listed for sale. Whichever happens first.

Really surprised the Mossberg barrels are so scarce. Seems easy to find 870 barrels, and that's what my other slug gun is, a 12 ga 18.5" with sights. A great combination.
    GEDC0052.jpg

WAYNO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.