JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Guys,

Went out and scouted again for the 2nd time. I took my GSD because like I said earlier, I'm afraid of Sasquatches, having a previous encounter with one in CA.

I didnt notice as much sign as the 1st time I went out, but did find some antler rubbing marks on a tree, and a disgusting look slug that looked exactly like a turd.

I noticed a good bit of squirrels about, and think I will use squirrels and rabbits to hone my skills before I go for a big game animal.

I plan on using my dog to find and tree the squirrels, and then pop them as they look down at my dog having a caniption fit. Is this a sound strategy in your expert opinions? I am aware the opening seasons starts later this year.

Should i be worried about bears coming after me if I have squirrels that I've bagged on my person?

Something cool to note, while I was out scouting my dog alerted, and I cautiously walked around a bend and there was a man and his wife atop their horses. They didnt think it odd at all to see a man walking out of the forest in flecktarn with an AK47. That was a refreshing change.

Deer will hang out in groups for periods of the year, and then become solitary for other parts of the year. Especially bucks. Thats why I suggest people read about the behavior of whatever they hunt, and then go out and observe that behavior. You'll get to know them and see some patterns. Blacktails are very cagey, but are mostly homebodies in the lowlands. Up high, they will migrate as changes in light begins to effect food. Generally, if it snows, deer will move. If it doesn't, they're more likely to stick around.
How likely is it that me hunting rabbits and squirrels in an area will cause deer to leave?

Thanks for that information. When I head out to scout tomorrow I'll be sure to bring a notebook and onx with me. My first scouting trip I counted 11 deer, are deer that common everywhere here?

How many bucks? Forget the does, Its bucks you are looking for. Yes some say if there are does bucks will be nearby but the wise bucks bed down it the thick areas and wait for rifle season to end.

I hunted Werehouser land in Mollala the second year they started selling passes. This area was closed off to hunting for 20 years. We scouted prior to opening day, In the weekend before hunting season we saw 8-9 bucks dozens of doe. Had a buck walk 7 feet in front of me and casually walk by. Opening Day no bucks at all they were gone before any gunshots were fired.

How likely is it that me hunting rabbits and squirrels in an area will cause deer to leave?

If you're shooting in an area where the deer are used to gunfire, it won't be a problem at all. Especially stuff like shotguns. Go to any rifle range that has forested areas and you'll find deer walking out on the range, even when people are shooting. When I lived in E. WA, I shot coyotes and rockchucks in my regular deer hunting areas. I'm not talking mag dumps. But a shot here and there is no problem.

Just a couple observations from the Rocky Mtn Gallery... as a long-time AK shooter, unless it was all I had, it wouldnt be my choice for deer hunting, not by a long shot (so to speak).. lack of power, range, and accuracy and lack of good hunting ammunition for the AK would all be problems.. yes the AK can hit a man-sized target within 300 yards in the right hands and with some luck.. The AK isnt a hunting rifle, period, nor is 7.62X39 a hunting cartridge. Get something in the .30-30-and-up power range, preferably something with a scope.
Not sure what your likely ranges are out there... but a scoped AK is a rare bird. Even a scoped SKS is a better rifle at range, assuming you have decent hunting ammo made for deer-sized animals... I would use a scoped .30-30 at least, and personally prefer my .308 with glass... Wounded deer are in no one's interests, if you shoot, know that you will kill..
Written with Colorado mulies in mind, dunno what you have out there, Ive heard that coastal deer are the size of large dogs (Have seen a couple like that in Cali).. Still the AK simply isnt a good hunting rifle, nor is the cartridge a hunting cartridge. My Two Cents.. Good luck...
FWIW, places like Walmart sell hunting rifles, often with glass, as deer season approaches, or maybe find a used hunting rifle somewhere...

^ Ignore this guy...7.62x39 Has killed more Deer, Humans, Bears and god knows whatelse on the dark continent since the 50's ... Its no differant than 3030...Deer are easy to kill Just lung punch them and done..8m3 does wonders...But that 154Gr Wolf ammo also leaves the prettiest mushroomed bullet you ever saw in a elk..one shot one raghorn bull down...But you also need to know your distance.

In regards to Bigfoot...
Bigfoot Field Researchers do indeed take reports seriously.
Just something to consider....

The link I had...does not work...but a quick search online with the terms Bigfoot Field Researchers will lead you there...
Andy

I am kind of in the same boat as you with hunting, while i have 14 or so years of hunting in Pa woods, it will be different hunting on the west coast but I am excited for the adventure. Saw my first blacktail deer on a hike near Heather Lake somewhere - beautiful bull and cows.

Good luck!

^ Ignore this guy...7.62x39 Has killed more Deer, Humans, Bears and god knows whatelse on the dark continent since the 50's ... Its no differant than 3030...Deer are easy to kill Just lung punch them and done..8m3 does wonders...But that 154Gr Wolf ammo also leaves the prettiest mushroomed bullet you ever saw in a elk..one shot one raghorn bull down...But you also need to know your distance.

Completely agree. If a cartridge is capable of taking down a 200lb gorilla, it can handle a 100lb deer. Especially if hunting western Oregon where your average engagement distance is within a 100 yards. I still think OP should still get a bolt action. He doesnt "need" to, but a savage axis ii can be had for cheap and it'll do a better job. Also not sure why someone would recommend 30-30 when 6.5 creedmore exists.

BK1,

Who is the man in the photo?

He looks familiar.

Thanks

P.S. will you be hunting squirrels and rabbits with your AK or do you have a .22 or a shotgun for them?

BK1,

Who is the man in the photo?

He looks familiar.

Thanks

P.S. will you be hunting squirrels and rabbits with your AK or do you have a .22 or a shotgun for them?
I am split between using my .17 hmr or my 10/22 on them. I am planning on going for rabbits this weekend, however my 10/22 only has 10 round mags. Is that an issue for rabbits? I know it isnt for squirrels

Just a couple observations from the Rocky Mtn Gallery... as a long-time AK shooter, unless it was all I had, it wouldnt be my choice for deer hunting, not by a long shot (so to speak).. lack of power, range, and accuracy and lack of good hunting ammunition for the AK would all be problems.. yes the AK can hit a man-sized target within 300 yards in the right hands and with some luck.. The AK isnt a hunting rifle, period, nor is 7.62X39 a hunting cartridge. Get something in the .30-30-and-up power range, preferably something with a scope.
Not sure what your likely ranges are out there... but a scoped AK is a rare bird. Even a scoped SKS is a better rifle at range, assuming you have decent hunting ammo made for deer-sized animals... I would use a scoped .30-30 at least, and personally prefer my .308 with glass... Wounded deer are in no one's interests, if you shoot, know that you will kill..
Written with Colorado mulies in mind, dunno what you have out there, Ive heard that coastal deer are the size of large dogs (Have seen a couple like that in Cali).. Still the AK simply isnt a good hunting rifle, nor is the cartridge a hunting cartridge. My Two Cents.. Good luck...
FWIW, places like Walmart sell hunting rifles, often with glass, as deer season approaches, or maybe find a used hunting rifle somewhere...

I will be using my tikka t3x tac a1 to hunt with I think. The spot I found that I plan on hunting has distances out to 600 yards. I will be using a tree stand on an incline. It is my belief that it would be difficult for the deer to detect me up there since my odor would be traveling above them. Is that true?

In regards to why use such and such , when this is available...
Not wanting to start a "caliber war"...
Nor am I saying that a particular cartridge sucks or is not needed or is better than anything else...

Just for me...
The .30-30 cartridge works just fine for the game I hunt and how I hunt.
It is easily found at gun stores and is affordable.
I shoot well with the rifles that I have owned and own , that are chambered in it...
I like older firearms and older cartridges....Most of my favorite firearms don't even use cartridges.

Like anything a hunting rifle is a matter of personal choice.
Learn to use your choice well and within both your limits as a hunter and shooter...
As well as the rifle's limits...and you will be fine with the rifle part of hunting.

The other "parts" of hunting need to be learned and mastered as well....
Understanding the land which is hunted in...knowledge of the game to hunted...
And respect for both must be paid.
Andy

In regards to Bigfoot...
Bigfoot Field Researchers do indeed take reports seriously.
Just something to consider....

The link I had...does not work...but a quick search online with the terms Bigfoot Field Researchers will lead you there...
Andy

I will look into that then. I feel like no one takes reports seriously though. Apes are certainly out there IMO, and may be a reason why so many go mysteriously missing. Hence why I go out with an AK47

In regards to why use such and such , when this is available...
Not wanting to start a "caliber war"...
Nor am I saying that a particular cartridge sucks or is not needed or is better than anything else...

Just for me...
The .30-30 cartridge works just fine for the game I hunt and how I hunt.
It is easily found at gun stores and is affordable.
I shoot well with the rifles that I have owned and own , that are chambered in it...
I like older firearms and older cartridges....Most of my favorite firearms don't even use cartridges.

Like anything a hunting rifle is a matter of personal choice.
Learn to use your choice well and within both your limits as a hunter and shooter , as well as the rifle's limits...and you will be fine with the rifle part of hunting.

The other "parts" of hunting need to be learned and mastered as well....
Understanding the land in which is hunted in...knowledge of the game to hunted...
And respect for both must be paid.
Andy

I would be interested in a lever gun for sure. They're classy as hell. I just wouldnt trust me using irons to make ethical kills.

I would be interested in a lever gun for sure. They're classy as hell. I just wouldnt trust me using irons to make ethical kills.
Practice will be your friend here...
Practice off the bench and with shooting positions , lighting and such that occur when hunting....

I have gotten :
Deer
Elk
Bear
Antelope
And Grouse
All with my favorite hunting and shooting rifle
This was done with iron sights and real black powder , patch and round ball.
The secret :
Lots of practice both with shooting and carrying of this rifle....And sticking to within my shooting abilities with that rifle.
Andy
Hawken.jpg

BK1,

I have a .17HMR and think it excellent if you're going for heads shots exclusively, but body hits on small game will shred them. A .22 caliber will allow body shots...

Photo question out of question?

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class