JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have always wanted to get into hunting, and now that I live out here in Oregon (western washington county) I would like to finally start hunting.

Are there any other hunters out there who might like to toss me some advice and tips/tricks?

I've never hunted.

I do own adequate calibers to hunt deer

I think I want to stand hunt clear cuts from the tree line

I'm afraid of sasquatch

received_3282151548463776.jpeg

Its hard to get someone to commit to taking someone hunting, especially on public land. Its a good way to lose a hunting spot AND a friend. Like me when I started hunting, you may end up having to start from scratch in a place you don't know well, without a mentor.

If you get no takers, the first thing I'd do is sign up for a hunters safety class if you haven't done so already. Its not just the gun safety stuff, but the property boundary info and game recognition stuff that will save your bacon.

You can look at various units harvest reports to see what units have the most success and what units have the most pressure. I try to find a combo of available land, average or decent success rate, and low hunter density. That's kind of a unicorn. You may decide to just hunt close to home no matter what. It may not be a great place for most, but it can be your back yard if you spend enough time in there.

Also buy a couple of books on blacktail deer behavior. Validate what you read during the summer months by getting out and scouting your areas. Come up with a plan B and C because if you find a spot, others probably know it too. hunting the edges of clearcuts like you mention can be effective, but its also popular. Find another technique or plan. I will "still hunt" timber, which isn't popular because its slow going and you have to be hyper-ready to shoot. But, if everyone is out in the open and not killing deer, the deer had to go somewhere.

Keep a note book of your scouting trip. Use maps in conjunction.

Good luck!

Its hard to get someone to commit to taking someone hunting, especially on public land. Its a good way to lose a hunting spot AND a friend. Like me when I started hunting, you may end up having to start from scratch in a place you don't know well, without a mentor.

If you get no takers, the first thing I'd do is sign up for a hunters safety class if you haven't done so already. Its not just the gun safety stuff, but the property boundary info and game recognition stuff that will save your bacon.

You can look at various units harvest reports to see what units have the most success and what units have the most pressure. I try to find a combo of available land, average or decent success rate, and low hunter density. That's kind of a unicorn. You may decide to just hunt close to home no matter what. It may not be a great place for most, but it can be your back yard if you spend enough time in there.

Also buy a couple of books on blacktail deer behavior. Validate what you read during the summer months by getting out and scouting your areas. Come up with a plan B and C because if you find a spot, others probably know it too. hunting the edges of clearcuts like you mention can be effective, but its also popular. Find another technique or plan. I will "still hunt" timber, which isn't popular because its slow going and you have to be hyper-ready to shoot. But, if everyone is out in the open and not killing deer, the deer had to go somewhere.

Keep a note book of your scouting trip. Use maps in conjunction.

Good luck!
Thanks for that information. When I head out to scout tomorrow I'll be sure to bring a notebook and onx with me. My first scouting trip I counted 11 deer, are deer that common everywhere here?

It is helpful to have a mentor I can't argue that. But hunting killng, field dressing, and packing an animal out by yourself is the most rewarding thing you could do the woods! Get out there as much as you can out of season drive down every road you can see what is around the bend.

Last Edited:
I agree with Capin JRo 100%. We had an area that we worked for 3 years and only took one doe. We routinely had pictures like this, but when it came to hunting season (bow), NADA. You can float in, have all the no-stinky camo in a totally brushed in blind left all year, but they just know.

STC_0700.JPG

Whatever rifle you choose I would suggest that you :
Shoot and carry it a lot...shoot it with the ammo you plan on hunting with...
Shoot it off the bench , in all kinda of weather , in the positions and lighting that may occur when you are hunting....
Carry when you are scouting...( if possible ) this is to show you , just what it is like to carry your rifle all day during a hunt , and how to do so comfortably , and safely.

Study up on how to field dress a deer....shooting a deer is often the easy part....
Tracking and cleaning as well as packing it out is where the work begins...

Spend a few nights camping and hiking with your hunting clothes and gear...
See what actually works in the field vs, the store...
Andy

There's a lot to hunting. And in the PNW just plan on it being much harder. You have to work for it here.
Lots of hiking, lots of rain, cold, few animals, and lots of other hunters.
It's amazing when you see stuff marketed as water resistant, water proof. That stuff gets tested for real here and it usually works out to a lie! Lol

Start reading hunting forums, look at the Or dept of fish and game regs. They have some tips on their website too.

Pick a spot and learn it well, go there several times during non-hunting seasons, and plan on hunting for a couple years without taking an animal.

But a actual hunting rifle. You can get a good hunting rifle with a scope for under $500 on sale usually. Practice, practice, practice.

Practice shooting in the woods while hiking or getting your heart rate elevated.

Be a responsible hunter, and proper outdoorsman. Leave no trace.

Watch youtube videos on harvesting deer, and know if will be harder than it looks, especially when cold and wet.

Thanks for that information. When I head out to scout tomorrow I'll be sure to bring a notebook and onx with me. My first scouting trip I counted 11 deer, are deer that common everywhere here?

Deer will hang out in groups for periods of the year, and then become solitary for other parts of the year. Especially bucks. Thats why I suggest people read about the behavior of whatever they hunt, and then go out and observe that behavior. You'll get to know them and see some patterns. Blacktails are very cagey, but are mostly homebodies in the lowlands. Up high, they will migrate as changes in light begins to effect food. Generally, if it snows, deer will move. If it doesn't, they're more likely to stick around.

Whatever rifle you choose I would suggest that you :
Shoot and carry it a lot...shoot it with the ammo you plan on hunting with...
Shoot it off the bench , in all kinda of weather , in the positions and lighting that may occur when you are hunting....
Carry when you are scouting...( if possible ) this is to show you , just what it is like to carry your rifle all day during a hunt , and how to do so comfortably , and safely.

Study up on how to field dress a deer....shooting a deer is often the easy part....
Tracking and cleaning as well as packing it out is where the work begins...

Spend a few nights camping and hiking with your hunting clothes and gear...
See what actually works in the field vs, the store...
Andy

That's some solid advice. Thank you for that Sir

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews