JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Title says it all folks, I have never shot one but want to see if it is worth my time and effort to build one. I'll supply the ammo if needed.
I am west of Olympia but will travel a ways (maybe not down to Oregon) but in Wa.

Again, all advice and thoughts appreciated. Thanks for looking;)

Based on some things that I have read prior to building my SBR, I ended up with an 11.5" Seekins precision barrel. Mine was a pistol while waiting for the lower stamp.

Essentially all the powder is burned in ~ 9" so any additional barrel may/may not help. Here's a good article with more detail.
Ask Foghorn: What Barrel Length for a 300 AAC Blackout Rifle? - The Truth About Guns

If you are going to shoot suppressed, you may want to check with your suppressor maker on their minimum reccommendation for barrel length. For my 5.56, while a different everything, suggest a 10" minimum barrel if shooting suppressed. YMMV.

Here's some good basic information about the ammo.
He tests sub-sonic and super-sonic.
Ultimate .300 Blackout Ammo Test - Shooting Times

Here's another article about accuracy.
300 BLK accuracy problems? Maybe it isn't you…

Based on some things that I have read prior to building my SBR, I ended up with an 11.5" Seekins precision barrel. Mine was a pistol while waiting for the lower stamp.

Essentially all the powder is burned in ~ 9" so any additional barrel may/may not help. Here's a good article with more detail.
Ask Foghorn: What Barrel Length for a 300 AAC Blackout Rifle? - The Truth About Guns

If you are going to shoot suppressed, you may want to check with your suppressor maker on their minimum reccommendation for barrel length. For my 5.56, while a different everything, suggest a 10" minimum barrel if shooting suppressed. YMMV.

Here's some good basic information about the ammo.
He tests sub-sonic and super-sonic.
Ultimate .300 Blackout Ammo Test - Shooting Times

Here's another article about accuracy.
300 BLK accuracy problems? Maybe it isn't you…

Excellent info JedB, I'll give it a gander later. Thanks

I have to agree with jedb on the length, I built two at 8.25 inch and was not entirely impressed, they were no better than a 10 - 12in, one thing i do have to say.. I shot my buddies Noveske 12in 300 sbr... O my goodness.. that blew my rifle out of the water, Please.. do not get a quad rail, find a nice light and probably thin hand guard, and then mount a half decent red dot on it..

I wasnt quite sure what I wanted to use mine for and in the end I traded it off for a R700 308 that I am quite a bit happier about. Problems I had.. reloading was expensive for a gun that doesn't really fit into any one category very well.. for me, it was a 150yd gun.. 100 yd was a 2 - 3 in group no better, and at 200yd it already had a significant drop and picking up quick.. If you want a trunk gun thats suppressed then it will work for that.. you want a brush gun to take the place of a 30-30.. then it will work for that.. but if you want to ring steel at 300 - 500yd like a 556, or print small groups like a full rifle.. your looking at the wrong gun.

I have to agree with jedb on the length, I built two at 8.25 inch and was not entirely impressed, they were no better than a 10 - 12in, one thing i do have to say.. I shot my buddies Noveske 12in 300 sbr... O my goodness.. that blew my rifle out of the water, Please.. do not get a quad rail, find a nice light and probably thin hand guard, and then mount a half decent red dot on it..

I wasnt quite sure what I wanted to use mine for and in the end I traded it off for a R700 308 that I am quite a bit happier about. Problems I had.. reloading was expensive for a gun that doesn't really fit into any one category very well.. for me, it was a 150yd gun.. 100 yd was a 2 - 3 in group no better, and at 200yd it already had a significant drop and picking up quick.. If you want a trunk gun thats suppressed then it will work for that.. you want a brush gun to take the place of a 30-30.. then it will work for that.. but if you want to ring steel at 300 - 500yd like a 556, or print small groups like a full rifle.. your looking at the wrong gun.

Thanks for that bit of info, it sure helps hearing stories and facts from those who went through builds that I am considering.
I read the links supplied by JedB and I will be looking for a10" barrel with pistol gas length tube. I do not own a suppressor so will be adding a forward break (Indian Creek BFD) to tame the muzzle blast & recoil a bit.
I'd like to go as light as I can so any advice to shave ounces is appreciated.;)

Ive owned half a dozen 300 BO uppers. My 7.5" upper is the most reliable of all of them and among the most accurate. If you are going SBR go all the way. You don't get anything out of a a 10 inch that you will get out of a 7 or 8 inch. It all depends on the barrel. Had a 10.2" Daniel Defense upper that cost a pretty penny that would barely cycle supersonic ammo much less subsonic. The $45 Anderson barrel pictured eats everything and my target for subs with 220 grain bullets is 950 fps.

PTXTZv.jpg

I have an 8" SBR and love it. Suppressed of course(omega can). I chose 8" as most manufactures of silencers warranty down to 8" 300bo only. The question you should ask yourself is...what application are you going to use it for?

8600d9c5-31d4-4465-b344-c5591e95c9ac_zpsummk4mkc.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads