JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last time I flew with firearms, locked case(you keep the key), fill out a form stating what it is and that is does not present a danger.
It gets checked like other baggage.
I was not told this :mad:, and maybe it's different for different airlines, but it did NOT come out on the conveyor like other bags or out the large bag area.:eek: It was at the airline's baggage counter. I had to show ID to claim it.

last time I flew, I went Alaska Airlines, (to Alaska) And I was able to take the Ammo with me as long as it was under a certain weight and was locked in the rifle case ( not loaded in the rifle!) I use a Pelican case with two pad locks, and like posted above I kept the keys, and had to fill out papers, and collect my rifle at the counter on pick up!

Call the airline ahead of time and find out what their current policies are.

Last time I flew with guns, no ammo, guns locked in a case. But from what I hear each airline has their own policies.

Shooting equipment is accepted as checked baggage.

When checking a firearm, you must:

•Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm (If a Security Checkpoint is prior to the Delta ticket counter, you must declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel.)
•All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta agent at the main ticket counter
•Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
•Firearms must be packed in a hard side case with a key or combination lock in possession of the passenger only
•Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
•Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes
Passengers are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State, or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. TSA locks are not approved for securing firearms. For more infomation about this regulation you can visit the TSA site.

Firearms transported to the United Kingdom as checked baggage require a permit from the United Kingdom. The passenger must contact the United Kingdom for more information regarding this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 pounds per passenger or that contains incendiary projectiles is prohibited.

Rifles
Delta will accept firearms and shooting equipment packaged as follows:

•One gun case containing up to a total of four rifles or shotguns, plus shooting materials, and tools
•One gun case containing up to five handguns, one scope, and tools
•One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container of sufficient strength to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
An excess baggage fee will apply to cases containing more than two rifles.

Shotguns
•two shotguns
•two shotgun cases
•11 pounds (approximately 5 kg) of ammunition
An excess baggage fee will apply to cases containing more than two shotguns.

Pistols
One pistol case containing:

•five pistols
•pistol telescopes
•noise suppressors
•a small pistol tool case
•11 pounds (approximately 5 kg) of ammunition
An excess baggage fee will apply to cases containing more than five pistols.

• REALLY IMPORTANT STUFF HERE----------------------------------------------------Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit. ( if you have a permit from a host country, make copies for check points, but keep original in a dry, safe place with you. cause occasionally foreign security will walk off with your copy and not return it. )
  • --YOU-- are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA websiteopens in a new window. ( this is a big one, because they are not going to cut you any slack if you dont know the laws, when it comes to firearms from state to state and city to city .)

On a personal experience note: I have checked firearms many times on different airlines, and different foreign countries. sometimes things dont go as planned. I have had gun cases come right out on the general public carosel, take my gun and leave and the airline freaks out cause it was supposed to be controlled till it got to me personally, I have had airport workers/ security want to examine my firearms, to the point of dissassembling.. If you are travelling make sure you do not have stops, and refuse to be diverted to states or cities that ban guns or ban certain types of guns like AR-15's ( washington D.C.,california) cause you just might find yourself in a world of trouble if you land in these states or cities, with high capacity mags, ar-15, suppressor, etc. The airline people dont deal with guns every day, they usually are great at customer service, but they may or may not help you divert trouble due to lack of knowledge of firearms laws from state to state or country to country. do your research before you travel.

Last Edited:
+1 @parallax
Be careful if you have connections in NY, CA or CO. It could wind up being a bad day.

Observations from my experience:
  1. If you're carting around a big gun, the Pelican 1770 is really long and also heavy (35# with foam). With the gun, scope and 1 box of ammo, I was already over 55#, after which there was an additional $75 fee.
  2. Some airlines have case dimension fees, IIRC something like H+L+W must be less than 120". I can't remember ever having this problem.
  3. In your 11 lbs of ammunition, it must be stored in cases where the ammo is properly separated. Ideally plastic ammo boxes, 20 or 50 count. If they inspect it and the separators are cardboard (like S&B ammo), it could be rejected. I've also brought more than 11# of ammo, it doesn't take much to hit that with magnums. I think what they really care about is that the entire case and contents weigh < 50#.
  4. YOU must be diligent and keep track of your ammo cases. KNOW WHERE YOUR STUFF IS.
    I've had cases set near the baggage carousel without any attendant, they just opened a door from the tarmac. Rifle cases are long and treated as special baggage, and I've had them dropped down the specialty baggage chute with skis and snowboards. I've also had to sign for them at a locked case, as it should be.
  5. Delta's counter never had a problem with me, with rifles or pistols. You can tell the agents who look down on guns. After signing the unloaded declaration (I found chamber flags really help), take it over to the TSA. They will ensure it's locked. I've never had an agent want to inspect it.
The biggest problem I've encountered traveling with firearms is security once you get to your destination. I don't travel for competition, just bring them for fun. Check ahead about where you are staying. I've brought chains with me to lock the cases underneath the bed at hotels where they don't have secure rooms (most don't). A lot of hotels have a NO FIREARMS policy (Hilton being one I regularly stay at). Some beds have a steel box that the box spring rests on top of. I found lifting the whole box spring / mattress gives you access to a great hiding place.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top