JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can shoot IDPA, IPSC and Speed Steel with the ruger.
I would recommend getting a good .22 pistol (ruger 22/45 or a browning buckmark) and starting off with speed steel. You can also shoot speed steel with a 10/22.
SS will help you get you feet wet and see what types of firearms other experienced people are using before you start spending money.
If you hve an AR, AK, SKS or other similar rifle you can shoot Practical Rifle.

Thank you. Any particular holsters I should look for? I was going to purchase a Fobus paddle holster for my Ruger. Should I look to get something different?

I would wait on the holster, you can shoot your first Speed Steel match from the low ready. If you haven't had some one work with you on the draw stroke it would probably be better.
I am assuming that TCGC is the closest club to you. Speed steel is first Sunday. Contact Nick Leonard, he is the match director and his contact info is available on the TCGC web site, he may have a .22 pistol for you to use. You will go through a minimum of 150 rnds, bring at least double that. I always bring 2-3 time what is called for to any match.
It is my personal opinion based on 10 plus years of shooting action matches that it's better to work yourself into it just like every other sport. I have seen more than one person show up at a Speed steel match with their carry gun or other center fire and leave with a severly reinforced flinch, angry and frustrated.

I would wait on the holster, you can shoot your first Speed Steel match from the low ready. If you haven't had some one work with you on the draw stroke it would probably be better.
I am assuming that TCGC is the closest club to you. Speed steel is first Sunday. Contact Nick Leonard, he is the match director and his contact info is available on the TCGC web site, he may have a .22 pistol for you to use. You will go through a minimum of 150 rnds, bring at least double that. I always bring 2-3 time what is called for to any match.
It is my personal opinion based on 10 plus years of shooting action matches that it's better to work yourself into it just like every other sport. I have seen more than one person show up at a Speed steel match with their carry gun or other center fire and leave with a severly reinforced flinch, angry and frustrated.

I can't argue with this advice, at all. The last steel match a pair of new shooters came with XDs in XD cases; it happened to be a tough series of stages, and they struggled. A .22 might have eased the way.

But I started right in with a .45 and had no troubles. So evaluate your skills. BladeTech has some package deals for plastic holsters and mag pouches. And you may want a holster anyway.

<broken link removed>

The Fobus is what I started with, and it works just fine.

I shot IPSC in Idaho for a couple of years before moving to Oregon in 2000. I have a buddy that wants me to get back into it. I have a mini-14 Rancher SS, w/strap, 30rd. mag, and 3x9 Burris. Would anybody be interested in a trade for a full-size 1911 clone target in .45ACP for factory competition??

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top