JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, looking for my first 1911 right now, specifically looking at sti 4" models, I want to get it in 9mm and put it in rotation for cc. My question is if anyone has experience with the sti difference between the double stack and single stack grips and how much of a difference there really is, I've read it's only a 1/4 inch bigger for the double stack but what does it feel like in the hand, right now I rotate between the HK vp9/p2000 and the s&w shield, I'm looking at the hex tac 1911/2011 and maybe the Costa ludus 2011, would even consider the duty one or tactical ss, any experience would help

IMG_20151022_172009.jpg

here is my foster single stack, stainless, railed integral plunger tube and mag well, still haven't decided on sights. If price isnt an issue get a doublestack mag 1911, the mags for doublestacks get a little pricey. That being said if I was going that route I would build one up from a caspian/foster frame. Bear in mind that the 1911 is one of the most customizable guns ever made. Why buy a complete gun only to wind up with a bag of stock parts?
Btw some really great winning competition guns have been built using their frames. (They aren't the new guys on the gun scene). Call them and ask to speak to Walt.
But of course that is if price isnt an issue. The only hurdle is finding a decent gunsmith, and deciding what parts.

Last Edited:
Thanks, I would say max price would be $2000/2500 tops really, there are really no local gunsmiths I would trust around here, I will have to look around though and see what I can find, I will look into those frames,

Go to a gun store and handle the two. It's a bit hard to tell you what something feels like - my hands are very large so what is great for me may not be for you.

Single stack is easier to conceal.

I happen to know a really skilled 1911 gunsmith that has built many, many 1911's. And not just buying parts and snapping them together with a dremel in hand..
I have built quite a few using Caspian frames, also several using JEM frames and slides. JEM being my favorite to work with.

I have built several of the STI Double stack 2011 series of the 1911! If you are comfortable with a Glock, they will feel about the same, width wise! They are a few ounces heavier, but that's not a bad thing! I have not done one in 9 mm yet, but the wife is thinking she might want me to build her one! Honestly, with your budget, I would check Fusion Firearms and see what blows your skirt up! Other then that, You can always build one your self! If you have any questions when ordering a kit or having one made, don't hesitate to ask or PM me, I have a ton of experience and can give tips and tricks as well as advice on which parts to look for and which to avoid. I had Fusion quote me $2800 for a trick 2011 series 10 mm with all the cool extras, so you can do pretty good for your budget!

My experience is that a 1/4" makes a heck of a lot of difference. Best idea would be to shoot a double stack first. Since you are carrying a Shield, there is quite a lot of difference between the two. And what feels good in the gun shop may not shoot well for you in the field. When at the range, standard target shooting may reveal some problems but it would be best to draw and fire as in simulating some self defense situations. I say that because you wrote that you plan on carrying it. Shooting in defense needs to be very instinctive and natural - it would not be a good time to have handling problems reveal themselves.

My experience is that a 1/4" makes a heck of a lot of difference. Best idea would be to shoot a double stack first. Since you are carrying a Shield, there is quite a lot of difference between the two. And what feels good in the gun shop may not shoot well for you in the field. When at the range, standard target shooting may reveal some problems but it would be best to draw and fire as in simulating some self defense situations. I say that because you wrote that you plan on carrying it. Shooting in defense needs to be very instinctive and natural - it would not be a good time to have handling problems reveal themselves.
Yeah, good idea, I carry the shield in the summer but a vp9 in the winter, so I'm used to a bigger grip, I'm gonna go down and check out some of the 2011's here pretty soon and see what I think, might just stick with a 1911,

Oh man, that's a huge grip difference. Some folks hands/skills just won't accept going up in size. Me, I can't go down w/o seriously being uncomfortable and I don't have big hands.;)

That 1/4" makes a huge difference for me, but I have small hands. I own a Colt Commader and have handled and fired numerous other 1911s, but when I shot a double stack 1911 (I think it was a Para) I couldn't empty the magazine fast enough to get it out of my hands. It kind of felt like trying to hold onto the wrong end of a baseball bat covered in grease.

That 1/4" makes a huge difference for me, but I have small hands. I own a Colt Commader and have handled and fired numerous other 1911s, but when I shot a double stack 1911 (I think it was a Para) I couldn't empty the magazine fast enough to get it out of my hands. It kind of felt like trying to hold onto the wrong end of a baseball bat covered in grease.
BTDT too... I'm a smaller-height guy and can't wrap my mitts around a double-stack, while my usual carry is a Government with plain ol' milsurp GI plastic grips. For me to be able to hold a P14 I have to completely take off both the grips and their bushings...

You got that 1911 yet? The suspense is killing me.
Not yet, just haven't had time, I live in Canyonville, a town of 1400 and just have gone to Medford yet to really compare the ds and single stack yet, but I did check out some Springfield 1911's at the grand opening of the sportsmans warehouse in roseburg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top