JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hellow every one im trying to get into reloading cause i go shooting alot and i think its time to invest in some reloading equipment but i have no idea where to start. ive done some research and still im not really sher wher to put my money i was thinking about buying Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit but you get wat u pay for would this be good as an entry to reloading wat u guys think

is that their cast iron version? their cast iron presses are fine,the cast aluminum not so hot,but better than no press at all.
we need to know..rifle or pistol...both maybe?
what calibers? plinking or serious match type ammo.

for pistol,a press,dies for each caliber,dial or digital caliper,powder measure or scoops,a scale eithe beam or digital. << a mut have even if using scoops.
something to stand the cases up in afer adding the powder..can be home made.

rifle requries lube for the cases,and something to trim the brass with after sizing.

the next step up would be a turret press whcih mainly just saves a bit of time by not having to swap out dies..not a biggie.

then come 'progressives,where 4 or 5 operations are heppening all at once.works great for pistol ammo as trimming is seldom necessary,ok for rifle ammo.

hope this helps a little,and let us know ur needs and budget,ok?

thanks throck but as far as wat i want to reload id say both but probably more pistol and definitely for plinking as i get better at reloading i can make better ammo but for now just plinking as far as calibers a lil bit of everything and budget not really tryen to spend much i dont need top line stuff but at the same stuff want stuff that works im looking for value

i cheated and copied this form another post i made.

reloading info

ok, so im gonna tell ya what others have told ya before,, because it could be life and death or at least serious injury if procedures and checks are not followed.

1. get your self a reloading manual ... like Amazon.com: Hornady Reloading Handbook 7th Edition (0090255992373): Steve Johnson: Books

or Amazon.com: Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition (0011516960498): Books

or sierra

or other brands... i like the lyman the best. out of the 3 i have

1. Press (+ shell holders for each caliber ) if i bought one now for single stage, it would be the forester co ax

2. dies for each caliber , they come in sets.

3. Lube (rcbs + lube pad, OR aresol kind.) i like the rcbs and lube pad method.
(lube must be applied when sizing rifle brass ,/ shouldered brass) .308 /.223 ect.
you dont need lube to resize pistol straight walled brass)

4. tumbler ( or some way to get your brass clean)

5. Primer/deprimer (some way to prime empty brass cases, or get spent primers out. i like the lee universal deprimer die. ) hand held or press addon.

6. calipers ( some way to measure exactly how long your cases are and the like)

7 Trimmer ( some way to trim excess brass of the neck ) some pistol rounds dont require much of this, rifles and revolvers do alot.

8 deburer / the little tool you use to smooth out what the trimmer did to your brass)

9. scale to measure out your powder load, (check weights)

10. powder funnel to get powder into cases.

11. eye protection. so you can look like a mad scientist in a laboratory.

12. possibly a bullet puller to take apart your mistakes.

13 . a clean well lit area

14. some kindof workbench would be good. presses exert alot of force on regular countertops.

15 . BOOKS books books, you cant know to much about this stuff.

16. extra time

17. rcbs or the like powder trickler ... your really only gonna need this if you start single loading and weighing all of your loads individually for accuracy.

before the guy was stuck on a progressive loader, i was just trying to warn him, that its better practice to get a single stage, because its easier to learn on. you get to do the same action many times and get a better feel for what your doing.

2. although you getting a progressive press...... for the first 100 rounds treat it like a single stage press. a progressive press is a nice thing, but for the novice it can get you into trouble quick. ( i like the addition of the powder cop die..) I only say this because it would be to your benefit to learn what each Stage (die) does, individually, and why you use one type of die say a (crimper) on semi auto's and not on a bolt action. learning how each step is important for the safety of your firearms , yourself and others.

4 not sure if this cabelas bullet puller , is a hammer type,, if so i dont like them at all. i got the hornady puller, but its crap too, lame handle breaks off to easy, i hear the forester is a good one.

not sure where your gettting your brass from but be warned that millitary NATO crimped brass is thicker.. and therefore has less internal space.. therefore needs less powder ... on average (with my .308 loads, about 1grain less powder) also you will need another tool to get the primer Crimp out of nato brass.

these links have excellent info but be warned some of the people on the "Hide" are well...... ......... its an internet forum you should know the routine, have some thick skin.

these are good readings, but be warned that this is extreme loading for the pseudo perfectionist reloader.

Reloading 101: Reloading basics for the new reload - Sniper's Hide Forums

Hand loading for Long range 1: brass case prep - Sniper's Hide Forums

Hand Loading for Long Range 4: Powderin' it - Sniper's Hide Forums

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ also a good supplier,

thanks throck but as far as wat i want to reload id say both but probably more pistol and definitely for plinking as i get better at reloading i can make better ammo but for now just plinking as far as calibers a lil bit of everything and budget not really tryen to spend much i dont need top line stuff but at the same stuff want stuff that works im looking for value

for value i would say RCBS is good, Lee has good stuff to but dont get the cheepy lee presses, they have a harder time of resizing rifle caliber rounds.

Check out JohnH on our website.
He teaches reloading classes that are well worth the small tuition.
Learn to do things right the first time.
It will save you frustration and money!

For starters, I'd stay away from the progressive presses in the beginning. I agree with a previous post that they can get you into trouble fast. It takes some experience to run them safely. And a good one will cost you a considerable amount of money. A good single stage is best to start out with. If you are shooting alot of autoloader and have a bunch of brass, you can process it in batches and it's alot easier to deal with on a single stage. Decap first and then clean it all. Sometime later, size it and prime it. When you are ready to drop powder charges, get your bullets and powder out, set up the scales, and have at it. It's easier to do it this way if you have around 300 - 500 rounds. Stretch the whole operation out over time as you have it available. Guys that shoot 3-gun and use AR's have the progressives and they crank out alot of ammo on progressives. Same thing for service rifle matches, Practical Pistol, etc. If you're just a "plinker", then a single stage is the way to go.

Regards,
Bill

Started with this press... <broken link removed>
I use this press now, will load any rifle up to 50BMG... <broken link removed>
I use the 4 hole turret for using the factory crimp dies on rifle rounds.

Also have one of these for each of the most used die sets to be able to change calibers without removing and setting up each time... <broken link removed>

I buy lee dies in carbide for all pistol cal. and as many as possible in rifle as some are not available in carbide.

This for pistol powder measure (goes through the die)... <broken link removed>

This for rifle powder... <broken link removed>
and an electronic scale to verify micrometer setting of dispensor.

I use a RCBS lube pad and lube and sometimes Astroglide (dont laugh it works and cleans easy)

Overall it is the best bang for the buck and a good starter set up. It wont take very long to pay for itself especially with .44mag or .45LC.

Started with this press... <broken link removed>
I use this press now, will load any rifle up to 50BMG... <broken link removed>
I use the 4 hole turret for using the factory crimp dies on rifle rounds.

Also have one of these for each of the most used die sets to be able to change calibers without removing and setting up each time... <broken link removed>

I buy lee dies in carbide for all pistol cal. and as many as possible in rifle as some are not available in carbide.

This for pistol powder measure (goes through the die)... <broken link removed>

This for rifle powder... <broken link removed>
and an electronic scale to verify micrometer setting of dispensor.

I use a RCBS lube pad and lube and sometimes Astroglide (dont laugh it works and cleans easy)

Overall it is the best bang for the buck and a good starter set up. It wont take very long to pay for itself especially with .44mag or .45LC.

Do you have to clean the Astroglide off the cases after you get done molesting, I mean sizing the cases? :s0131:

so how much am i looking to spend is ther a good kit i can get with everything already in it or better to just buy things sepret a single stage is really all i need for now dont need nuthen fancy

if u are not in a hurry,and want to save money,there are tons of uised dies for sale on the 'net,and some on here as well.same for presses.A used Rockchucker will last forever and make sizing rifle brass almost effortless compared to a cast aluminum Lee presss...been there ,done it.
It's hard to find a kit that has just what you need,but doesn't hurt to try.If they gave u 'everything' ,it'd cost so much you';d be scared off.<grin>
shop the classifieds here,and use the wtb section is my suggestion.

so how much am i looking to spend is ther a good kit i can get with everything already in it or better to just buy things sepret a single stage is really all i need for now dont need nuthen fancy

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

AstroGlide. really? I never thought of it for cases.

I tumble then deprime cases. It keeps the media out of the primer pockets.

Mark, if you continue to use media, just go to Petsmart and buy some lizard litter. It is a finer grade of crushed walnut shell and won't stick in the primer pockets or the flash hole. Plus, it's alot cheaper than going to the gun store to buy any cleaning media they offer.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top