JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you want to start on a budget, I would recommend Lee but with caution. Like someone stated earlier make sure you spend a little extra money on them. Make sure you get a cast iron one. The other ones just suck.

For example, I made the mistake of thinking their "4 Hole Turret Press w/ Auto Index" Anniversary kit was the "Lee Classic Turret" that I kept on reading good reviews on. Oh was I wrong, the "non-classic" was just a horrible machine. The depriming disposal method was to "TRY" and eject the primer into 1 of 2 small holes on either side of the press (which btw is in la la land cause its UNDERNEATH the press itself so you'd have to unmount the press to get to them). But most of the time they'd just bounce out somewhere like a missed free-throw and end up somewhere in your workspace or floor. So make sure you get the classic.

I highly recommend the Classic turret, I have a Hornady LnL AP now but still keep the Classic around for smaller loads. The classic is only a little more expensive than lee's cast single stage but to me if you want to load a decent amount of ammo (more than your standard bench shooter, like for a plinking pistol) get a turret to start if you're on a budget.

For a case-operated powder measure, stay away from the "standard" lee auto-disk. It chops up stick and flake powders and spills em into your work area when the turret turns. Get the Pro Auto-disk measure + the micrometer and/or double disk if you're doing rifle.

As far as dies I am still using Lee, but am most likely going to sell them soon and replace them with hornady to have a few more adjustment options because of the fact the Lee dies are a little short for the LnL sometimes. Going to keep the factory crimp dies though.

Wish you the best on your hunt!

Before running out and buying, check Craiglist or local Gun Club bulletin boards. There may be some good opportunities to pick up the basics like Press, Scale, Powder Measure, dies, etc, at a savings. Often some really good items are available for the price of new "so-so" equipment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top