JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had AR's sense the early 80's and own 4 now. I just bought 3 Bushmaster lowers and added decent middle of the road complete uppers in different calibers,, 7.62X39, 6.8 & 5,56, each having it's own lower and triggers and bought one Sig M400 complete. All have worked out Very well. At very least do install decent triggers , most are crappy!!! I recently bought a Palmetto 10.5", 5.56 and I haven't really shot it enough to know if I like it or not. It seems to reach out 200-300 yards and pluck rocks off the river bank pretty regular offhand with decent ammo but it really doesn't seem to like steel cased Wolf Polyformance ammo so much !

No malfunctions, just piss poor performance accuracy wise. 4-5 " groups, at best but with some good Hurtenburg match ammo,,,,2 1/2 ish " groups from a bench. I've only got 3-400 rounds through it so far so it could be me not being used to it's balance quite yet,, or not broke in, getting used to using a turkey scope on it ,,,don't know???

It does feel a bit weird getting used to it though and found I always want to double check and make sure my hand is not to far forward with that short a** barrel ! I think I shucked up on that flash can type break and things got WARM a couple times !!! Sure did a number on my shooting bag too, scorched it pretty good !
I did take an drilled holes @ about 30 degree angles in the slots in that brake/flash can/ whatever ??? and it sure made a difference ,,,for you guys that have one. It acts more like a brake then and defiantly reduces muzzle flip with a more directed gas flow. Still a FRIGGING FIRE BREATHER THOUGH !! You darn near need a burning permit to shoot it prone !!

I really do have to say I like my Sig M400 the best though, it has really decent mounting options for slings and mind shoots dead nuts,,it's been my favorite for an average priced AR. I've got mine with a normal 6 position stock, a set of steel 45 degree off set irons, a MOE forend, crimson trace at the end of the receiver slots and a Sig 3X mil scope behind that,,yes it clears, it's a pistol Trace and it works dandy !! That's my set up for if I ever have to get busy again ! I'm a 101st 2 tour Nam combat vet and pray it won't be necessary again though,,,,,,,

I'm looking to buy my first AR in the next few months (If I can find one...). I would like to stay under $1k. I know very little about the platform other than having shot a few. What are the must-haves that would be available on a sub $1k rifle? The ones I've been looking at are the Ruger AR556, S&W M&P Sport II, and one from Windham Weaponry. The Windham is the only one with the chrome-lined barrel (Debating the need). I also got an email from Sig touting their new SigM400 Tread Coil, it looks pretty interesting. I have to say, with so many rifles on the market its a bit overwhelming. Any help is appreciated!

Link to Sig: Sig Sauer
Since its the most common rifle in American homes these days, maybe look into 300 blackout ( more expensive ammo) ? depending on how much you want to spend will result in the quality of your rifle. If you decide on either rifle, I suggest AERO, Daniel Defense or similar. Its all about the craftsmanship.
you should also look into the piston driven versions. more expensive but are can be worth it.

thats my two cents, Good luck!

What say you take the time and 'build' an 80% weapon? You'll know all about it and have what you want vs what's for sale. Then it's "yours." Just don't buy junk parts. It's a lot more enjoyable then just buying something and hitting the range. Getting into reloading helps a ton as well and can be just as enjoyable.

Dan

IMHO..........if I'm a newbie and only getting one AR.

Then the simple no brainer answer is.........COLT. You pick the configuration you like.

Why?

History and resale.

When I think of firearms.........say Civil War?

COLT 1851 or 1860 revolver.

Indian Wars and the Spanish American War?

COLT SAA (Peacemaker, mod 1873)

WW1?

COLT M1911

WW2?

COLT M1911A1

Viet Nam?

COLT M16A1 (AR15 SP1 or AR15-A1)

Desert Storm?

COLT M16A2 (AR15-A2)

Iraq/Afghanistan?

COLT M4 (AR15 Mod#6920)

See how that works?

Then.........

IF you can remember the '94 AWB......well, I sold many a COLT AR15 for big $$$$ and they were really easy to move compared to the lesser named brands (or Frankenstein ARs). Mind you that I'm not saying that history will repeat itself or that COLT is THE BEST OF ANY OF THE OTHER MFNs OUT THERE. I'm just saying that more than likely..........when it's time to sell...........there will probably be a buyer who knows the name and product. Thus, it sort of sells itself.

Not to mention that COLT might not be selling the AR-15 for much longer.
Colt will no longer make AR-15s for civilians, but gun control advocates might not have much to celebrate

Think of it as having an "instant" collector status.

Aloha, Mark

Then the simple no brainer answer is.........COLT. You pick the configuration you like.

Why?

History and resale.

WW1?

COLT M1911

WW2?

COLT M1911A1

Viet Nam?

Desert Storm?

COLT M16A2 (AR15-A2)

Iraq/Afghanistan?

COLT M4 (AR15 Mod#6920)

See how that works?

Then.........

IF you can remember the '94 AWB......well, I sold many a COLT AR15 for big $$$$ and they were really easy to move compared to the lesser named brands (or Frankenstein ARs). Mind you that I'm not saying that history will repeat itself or that COLT is THE BEST OF ANY OF THE OTHER MFNs OUT THERE. I'm just saying that more than likely..........when it's time to sell...........there will probably be a buyer who knows the name and product. Thus, it sort of sells itself.

Colt will no longer make AR-15s for civilians, but gun control advocates might not have much to celebrate

Aloha, Mark
I totally understand your point, but if they are going to quit building them, as a colt AR owner, you have to rely solely on aftermarket parts. Thats when things get messy with fitment, availability and design flaws.

bone stock, go for it! just try not to get the upgrade itch! youll spend your paychecks on parts!!

I totally understand your point, but if they are going to quit building them, as a colt AR owner, you have to rely solely on aftermarket parts. Thats when things get messy with fitment, availability and design flaws.

bone stock, go for it! just try not to get the upgrade itch! youll spend your paychecks on parts!!

For ME.....
To preserve "collector status" I don't play around with switching parts. Yes, the early ARs had different fire control pin sizes and there was that issue with the front pivot pin (actually a screw arrangement). But....there were replacement parts (if one wanted to do that).

The newer ARs (I hear) don't have that problem. They are made to military specs for the interchangeability. Yeah.....back then, COLT was trying to please the politicians. And, that's really another story as several companies have played that game too.

But.....truthfully, if I was going to build a custom AR......well, I'd probably think about a "custom" receiver from the get go.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....my son's recent AR was a Frankenstein built on a COLT receiver. He has since replaced the receiver with a Knight's Armament. Then, he has recently gotten a replacement Knight's upper assembly complete w/ Knight's barrel. And, just the other week a Knight's BCG.

He has me shaking my head. WHY????

LOL, it's not like he shoots iron sights all that well. Rrrrright....... And so, maybe he should just be spending his money on more practice ammo? :D

Last Edited:

Why?

History and resale.

WW1?

COLT M1911

WW2?

COLT M1911A1

Viet Nam?

Desert Storm?

COLT M16A2 (AR15-A2)

Iraq/Afghanistan?

COLT M4 (AR15 Mod#6920)

See how that works?

Then.........

Aloha, Mark
I agree colt is a good option for the reasons you mentioned.

It is my understanding they are or will be selling to the public again.

This:

Plus this:

Equals done and done.

Stretch the budget a couple hundred and get yourself a well built rifle right off the bat.

I highly suggest purchasing a separate lower and upper to avoid the I1639 BS in this stupid state.

Both?

Confirmed- you can pick one up at Northwast Armory for $1700. A little steep for my wallet- but nice to know the Internet is only charging double what they were going for 1 year ago. /s

I'd consider what you want to use it for and integrate some of the comments on the thread into that. Home defense? First AR? Want to have spare change to accessorize? You can build a rock solid AR for mid $700. Or you can buy a fully assembled Gucci gun. For a lot more, and only what's available. Figure out what's going to allow you to flow through your home in an HD situation. 10.5, 11.5 and similar lengths are ideal for room work. If you buy an AR and it has irons, get a light. Once you have a light and have the cash, get a red dot. In a HD situation, it's critical to be able to identify your targets. Once you can, then you can focus on shooting fast, which a red dot allows. It's not the other way around.

Here's a Colt in the classifieds for $1k. They are a good manufacturer. Top tier AR.

Here's a Colt in the classifieds for $1k. They are a good manufacturer. Top tier AR.

That ad was what promped me to look at NW Armory again;)

Specifically " The Colt LE 6920 AR15 goes for around $1200 new. "

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads