JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to buy my first AR in the next few months (If I can find one...). I would like to stay under $1k. I know very little about the platform other than having shot a few. What are the must-haves that would be available on a sub $1k rifle? The ones I've been looking at are the Ruger AR556, S&W M&P Sport II, and one from Windham Weaponry. The Windham is the only one with the chrome-lined barrel (Debating the need). I also got an email from Sig touting their new SigM400 Tread Coil, it looks pretty interesting. I have to say, with so many rifles on the market its a bit overwhelming. Any help is appreciated!

Link to Sig: Sig Sauer

Just about everything you listed is decent to start with.

If looking to stay below 1k, there are many great complete rifles in the $600-$1000 price range.

Most are still in stock too, from what I've seen online.

Its the sub $600 ARs that seem to be sold out everywhere.

Ruger, Palmetto State Armory, Sig, Smith and Wesson, Springfield Armory, Bushmaster, DPMS, Diamondback, Adams Arms (Also goes by Voodoo I think), Savage, Mossberg, and likely more I am missing make sub $1000 AR15s.

BUY MAGS NOW.
Come November with the panic buying, good luck. They'll be double the price or non existant.

The rifles are so common they will be around.. but getting one sooner rather than later is key. Especially before the election when the next panic will kick off.

You can find amazing AR's for $600-$800 easy. At this point in the market.. very very few are junk. Spend that extra saved $200-$400 out of the $1k on mags.

Unless you're doing extreme precision stuff, Very accurate plinkers can be had for $500-$600. Many of the vanilla (but brand name) ARs shoot about as well as cheaper entry level ARs.. so dont get wrapped up in too much brand name hype. I did exactly that when I first started and I wasted quite a bit of money in the process. MANY entry level ARs shoot quite well. Its often the shooter that isnt doing their job.

Magazines seem to be in stock on the web. Maybe not so much in stores.

Ammo on the other hand is pretty nutso right now.

Magazines seem to be in stock on the web. Maybe not so much in stores.

Ammo on the other hand is pretty nutso right now.
I figured ammo is going to be tough to come by. Though I have seen it online (overpriced of course). Everyone is worried about the coming election, with good reason. Hopefully, I can secure at least 1000 rounds before then.

I figured ammo is going to be tough to come by. Though I have seen it online (overpriced of course). Everyone is worried about the coming election, with good reason. Hopefully, I can secure at least 1000 rounds before then.
I've seen 1000 round cases online. Everything right now in bulk is closer to 40-60 cents a round though. So calculate at least $400-$600 for a case of a thousand.

Things were getting pretty good there for a bit, 25-35 cents a round!

I really miss the 15 cents a round days!

S&W is a pretty solid buy especially for the money. I'd say the Ruger is close behind.

PSA is hit or miss. Can get a great one, mediocre or less. Seems to be variation with them at least with their lower priced models.

Colt, Daniel defense, LMT, BCM and a few others are generally made to higher standards with better materials, but you're also going to pay quite a bit more for them. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Just depends on what you want and expect out of the weapon system.

I'm looking to buy my first AR in the next few months (If I can find one...). I would like to stay under $1k. I know very little about the platform other than having shot a few. What are the must-haves that would be available on a sub $1k rifle? The ones I've been looking at are the Ruger AR556, S&W M&P Sport II, and one from Windham Weaponry. The Windham is the only one with the chrome-lined barrel (Debating the need). I also got an email from Sig touting their new SigM400 Tread Coil, it looks pretty interesting. I have to say, with so many rifles on the market its a bit overwhelming. Any help is appreciated!

Link to Sig: Sig Sauer
Deacon,
Shop for a complete lower receiver to order, lots on line. Then buy a complete upper separate, This way you avoid having to file the new WA FTA and paying the extra $18, but best of all when you buy a lower receiver or pistol frame, your FFL will only have to complete the ATF Form 4473 for the background check. I know, as I am an FFL

Thanks for all the replies, my apologies for not getting back in here sooner. Hurt my back Thursday night and haven't been on the computer.
Definitely some points to consider. I like the idea of building one, but at this point, I just want something to take out and shoot and for HD. Still making up my mind, so will post when the decision has been made.

Hey Deacon....checked your profile a bit before I responded. You have a good grasp of firearms in general and probably have some exposure to AR's. IMHO there are 2 ways to approach this: 1. buy an inexpensive one and get used to it and discover the strengths and weaknesses of the platform. A lot of the inexpensive "plinkers" are plenty accurate. And equally fun to shoot. or 2. Throw down for a quality specimen and you will have it forever. It will be very accurate and dependable and it will be...your rifle.

If I had to suggest a favorite manufactured rifle, it would be Rock River. However, there are tons of really fine components available. I know people who have been building for a few years now and once they started they ... ended up with a lot of metal.

Good Luck. I wouldn't wait too long. Buy ammo and mags. And maybe a spare BCG.

Here's my AR for sale if you're interested

20200617_193354.jpg 20200617_193537.jpg

Decide your barrel length, 16"+ or 10.5" /11.5" pistol with a brace ? Do you want a front sight post or continuous rail that gives more scope options ?
Any Ruger/SW M&P/older RRA or Bushmaster for $700 will shoot as well as most people need and will last long enough. By the time you shoot out a barrel, you'll have learned how to easily and inexpensively replace it. Shoot it then decide what you want to change .

Most of the add-ons for the AR are fluff, they look cool, but don't really make anything better. Most AR's come with good barrels and a good bolt. The biggest difference you could make out of the gate would be a drop in trigger. Gieselle are great, I have an SSA, but it's 1/3 the cost of a rifle- for under $100 you can get an AIM or Rise drop in. I have those too, 95% of the Gieselle.

Scour the for sale ads- some people are having to sell up now, there are bargains, but also a lot of Gucc fuqboi stuff too.

Buy a decent optic.

I too was in the market for an AR and had a definite budget to stick with.
Just wanted a plain "Army gun" style without a bunch of stuff on it.
After looking at several makes/models within my price range, I decided upon a Windham.
One of the deciding factors was the "back story" on the company.
I wanted to support a smaller company, in a smaller town, instead of some huge corporation.
It's a great AR, and it fits my needs just fine.
Lots of good quality ARs out there, just decide on which features are most important to you.

If your a WA resident, buy a complete lower receiver which requires only a NICS background check. Then buy a barreled upper from a different manufacturer or from the lower provider on a different day.
If you want a good rifle from a reliable and established company, look at the Ruger AR-15, model 556 or a S&W M&P 15 Sport II

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top