JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the muzzle device, I decided to go with the Yankee Hill Phantom as the standard A2 is ugly to me. I know it works well but, it's just blah to me!:s0112: Anyway, I watched a video of a flash hider shootout and the YHM Phantom did extemely well suppressing the flash.

I went with this Hera Arms linear compensator, mostly for the look, but I also like to direct the noise away from me. Im also a hobby shooter so hiding my flash is not very important.

This is now my never ending story. I just sold one that will pay for the next..........................This is my most recent.

IMG_0955.jpg

Just waiting on the stupid flash hider now. Tracking shows it's been sitting at the Edgewater, FL post office for almost ten days!:mad:

thumbnail_IMG_0217.jpg

No need to wait, slap it together and install the MD when it shows.
A great forum member offered me the opportunity to do the assembly at his location as, I don't have all the tools or space here in my little mobile home. (no shop available) So, want to get all parts together and put on at one time.:)

Ok, what other hand guards out there don't need to be timed? BCM is a little more than what I want to pay as this is a budget build.:D

I buy Troy Industries hand guards which take the standard barrel nut. Timing was not a big deal and just take a few minutes only. At least that is what I have found.

Sometimes, making a trip to sell a gun turns out real well for me! Just sold a shotgun and while waiting around found this Leupold VX-Freedom AR 1.5-4 X 20 with box and all papers plus, mounted to an Aero Precision mount for under 2 bills! As Hannibal Smith used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together!":s0112:

This will go on the new upper build!

thumbnail_IMG_0219.jpg

Tracking update shows the flash hider finally made here to Corvallis and will be delivered on Monday. Ordered that thing on 6/11 and it's just now getting here!:(

Tracking update shows the flash hider finally made here to Corvallis and will be delivered on Monday. Ordered that thing on 6/11 and it's just now getting here!:(
YHM shut down temporarily due to COVID. I'm waiting for the R9 to hit distributors and I'm certain the virus crap has delayed that!

I'm free all next week, so just hit me up.

Did your rail come with a wrench of some sort to be used with a 1/2" socket?

Its nice, but you don't need a shop to build AR's. I mounted a small vice to my tool box top and do it all right on my tool box. All the tools you would need could be put in a fishing tackle type box, and a small vice you can clamp on to a sturdy bench will do. I do recommend "lapping" the upper where the barrel extension seats to the upper receiver. Even the higher end uppers are not perfect. The lapping tool is not super expensive either. It is well worth it in my opinion.

20200630_230142.jpg

I'm about to get my upper going too.

Think I have about everything, complete lower is still processing and hasn't shipped yet. Have some ammo on the way too, not enough lol but a few hundred rounds.

I have small rubber/nylon hammers already but need roll pin punch set and vise block.

Looking forward to seeing the end result! I've got my lower already put together and just need to get a sling for the complete project now.:)

It is finally a done deal! A great thanks to @Reno for the hospitality and use of his garage and tools! A great guy and member to be sure.:s0155: Here is the completed upper, Leupold and a completed lower I did up just for this build.:s0060:

thumbnail_IMG_0220.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0221.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0222.jpg

Last Edited:
@Reno i have a roll pin punch starter set but not regular roll pin punches? How essential are they to place the pins? Can I use the starter punches then finish with a regular punch or should I just be patient and order some roll pin punches?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top