JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They all do. Pull out on the parallax turret.
I have a NXS without an illuminated reticle though the reticle is discontinued now which would indicate there was a period when the illumination wasn't an option. I have an illuminated reticle on my Precision Benchrest Nightforce and it is really nice on a black F class target. I just have to remember to turn it off after I finish shooting for record.

I have a NXS without an illuminated reticle though the reticle is discontinued now which would indicate there was a period when the illumination wasn't an option. I have an illuminated reticle on my Precision Benchrest Nightforce and it is really nice on a black F class target. I just have to remember to turn it off after I finish shooting for record.

How old is your scope? Which reticle?

Good imput guys. I really appreciate the info about the illuminated reticle. I swear, I tried pulling on that dang parallax adjustment knob. Just didn't want to pull too hard. Well, I need to see how this dog is going to hunt now:
JCUR7m7.jpg

It may be a good candidate for the long range bolt gun thread as well.. I'm hoping it shoots as good as my Tikka's and savages.... My savage may be up for sale shortly. For someone that wants to dabble in long range precision shooting..... She's a proven shooter.....

The verdict is still out, but the reticle is thin on the NXS. A little too thin for my eyesight. The SHV is easier to get behind, as the eyebox seems to be a tad more forgiving.. That's just how I saw it today. I do like the fact that the NXS has the illuminated reticle though. Cool feature. The rifle pictured above barely shot moa today, so she's going to get some bedding treatment. She'll be shooting lights out in no time. I always like buying new or used rifles and working them over till they shoot with the best of them. I have found NO factory rifle that has ever shot its best right out of the box. NONE.... Sorry, but it just doesn't happen... There's always mucho room for improvement.. This one and my new CTR will be just like my Superlite and come around to be excellent shooters. Guaranteed....

Like @bsa1917hunter said, it can be a little difficult but it should have it.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/pdf/OwnersManual.pdf
My manual differs a little from the newer one on their website but I double checked it and there's a section for illuminated reticle (if equipped) and sure enough my old NXS has it. Either I knew a long time ago and forgot or never checked. I have it mounted on a custom 308 long range rifle I built in 01 which doesn't get as much time at the range as it should. Time to take it out with the other long distance rifles and start confirming/adjusting loads.

I just checked and While super "busy" for a reticle, it is well lit. The ranging reticle has merit for some. I'm migrating to a cross-hair with a dot as my preferred reticle. For pure hunting, I have always liked a duplex.

I don't like super busy reticles, the NPR2 that is in the NXS I just bought is not bad at all (besides being a little thin). However, I believe I like the new MOAR in the SHV better... For hunting, I prefer a simple ballistic plex reticle like what is in my Burris FFII's...

Alright guys, I've had a chance to use this in a centerfire competition and I really like the NXS 5.5-22x56. At first I thought the reticle was a little thin for my tastes, but when looking at the black bull with this scope, I could see the x on the target and I was able to hone in on the center better than I ever have. The CTR with its SHV 5-20x56 did just fine, but I actually think the NXS is better suited for some things. With that being said, It was far too easy to pin point the center of the black bull with the SHV as well... The CTR is just a shooter:
8x33I6s.jpg

Now, what I did with the NXS is put it on my Savage 12 FV 6.5 creedmoor. I did this for a couple reasons. First, I need to shoot my new Sako A7 longrange 6.5 creed and wanted a "proven" rifle scope on that rifle, so there's no doubting the rifle's capabilities. The NXS may go back on the Sako, AFTER it has proven itself..... Just for schitzs and giggles, here a target pic of my savage 12fv with the 16x super chicken dialed in for center (left orange dot) and with the nightforce (after zeroing in with the new scope):
GUX3e4D.jpg

Oh, by the way, the green paint wasn't cutting it on the Sako. Here's how she looks now:
mIdnP41.jpg

From what ive been seeing is these used scopes sell on the open market for right around what an SHV 5-20x56 sells for new. This is probably the reason i compare the 2 scopes. I just put an offer on a NSX 5.5-22×56. It has a lot of extra goodies on it. However, its one ive seen listed for over a year now. That just seems like a long time to have something listed for sale. Generally when that is the case, either the price is too high, or the condition is less than steller.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top