JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Best range 1911 for $1200 to $1400

• Dan Wesson ,

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Kimber

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Sig Sauer

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters
Reactions
Have and enjoy Colt Officer .45 acp, Colt Competition 9 mm, and Ruger .45. Have a generous amount on Cabela's gift card and some cash to add. Not in to competitive shooting. Reload quite a bit. Cabela's has Dan Wesson on sale. Looked here. Gunbroker too but uncertain about some sellers.
The three listed brands are strong suggestions from gun store counter salesmen. Genuine question about stepping up the quality of a range 1911 .45.

Thanks in advance.

For that cost range, it's hard to argue against the Dan Wesson. No MIM and match grade parts hand fitted. Their only downfall is the thumb safety plate not being adequately beveled such that many users get their inner thumb cut up while firing. If you're handy, removing the safety and stoning its edges down is recommended.

Regarding accuracy and reliability of Sig and Kimber 1911s, they are excellent, but do have cast small parts that can break with a lot of use. If you can find a discontinued Sig GSR, that was the last Sig 1911 made without MIM parts as far as I know. Even the new P210 Target has MIM parts, but that wouldn't stop me from buying one.

A good rule of thumb is if the 1911 ships with a plastic trigger or mainspring housing, it's probably not what you want to spend $1400 on.

For that cost range, it's hard to argue against the Dan Wesson. No MIM and match grade parts hand fitted. Their only downfall is the thumb safety plate not being adequately beveled such that many users get their inner thumb cut up while firing. If you're handy, removing the safety and stoning its edges down is recommended.

Regarding accuracy and reliability of Sig and Kimber 1911s, they are excellent, but do have cast small parts that can break with a lot of use. If you can find a discontinued Sig GSR, that was the last Sig 1911 made without MIM parts as far as I know. Even the new P210 Target has MIM parts, but that wouldn't stop me from buying one.

A good rule of thumb is if the 1911 ships with a plastic trigger or mainspring housing, it's probably not what you want to spend $1400 on.
I had to do the safety lever point on mine It pissed me off for the first 3 years i owned the pistol . Removing the lever is childs play and it takes a about 5 minutes using a stone or sand paper to break the point.

Quite a few years ago (I could probably search for the thread on here) I gathered up every nickel I had and truly overextended myself financially (I was young) to buy a Dan Wesson CCO when they first came out. You couldn't find them anywhere and a buddy had just seen one at Keith's for MSRP ($1250 at the time). To this day, I couldn't be more happy with that gun. They bumped the MSRP up by a couple hundred bucks shortly after my purchase, so I got lucky, but I think it'd be a decent value even at $1450. I'm by no means a 1911 expert, but I can't really tell the difference between it and my Nighthawk.

Really appreciated all the input. "Pulled the trigger" :rolleyes: couldn't resist, and brought home Dan Wesson model Valor in .45 ACP. Only downside is strong hand needed surgery on long finger a week ago. Will have to heal a little more to be able to appreciate the balance, symmetry, detail, and fine trigger pull. Seven days till last bandage is removed. Don't recall any more excitement about any of my other gun purchases. Again, thanks to all who commented and helped me make the choice.

Really appreciated all the input. "Pulled the trigger" :rolleyes: couldn't resist, and brought home Dan Wesson model Valor in .45 ACP. Only downside is strong hand needed surgery on long finger a week ago. Will have to heal a little more to be able to appreciate the balance, symmetry, detail, and fine trigger pull. Seven days till last bandage is removed. Don't recall any more excitement about any of my other gun purchases. Again, thanks to all who commented and helped me make the choice.

Congrats man, you're gonna love it! Now you have motivation for a speedy recovery as well :)

Congrats man, you're gonna love it! Now you have motivation for a speedy recovery as well :)
Thanks. Commend you for the information about the site. Unusual courage in a world where offense is common and pride in offending. (Regarding the communication about the site. Tried to send but message said your in box was full) I have made a couple sales and a couple purchases and asked for and received good advice. Keep on the road.

I'm gonna buck the trend and say that you can't go wrong with the Sig Sauer or Kimber 1911, both are well made and reliable handguns. I have run both using Wilson Combat magazines and had ZERO malfunctions with either of them over thousands of rounds.

I think the OP made the right decision and hope he's as happy with his DW as I have been with mine.

I traded into mine, but it was only because I thought it would be an easier sale.
That was about 9 or 10 years ago. I've owned a bunch of 1911's and it's the only one I've kept cuz it's the only one I use.

Bit of an old thread but my para expert has yet to have any kind of failure and it's a $500 gun used.

Id vote for an STI double stack if I could afford another pistol.

Sig 100% ;)

4C9A55B1-17CF-428E-9859-F9DA71452049.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews