JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife went to a women's shooting class and tried a bunch of different pistols. She didn't like the subcompact, like the Sig P938 or the Ruger LC9 because their recoil is hard to manage in a little gun. She liked shooting 9mm from a full size better. Her favorite was the HK VP9. I'd like to have her try a Browning 1911-380 or Rock Island Baby Rock in .380 before we decide. They are both a little smaller and lighter than a full sized, but bigger than those tiny pistols. Plus I've heard recoil is really tame with them. Also, I'm a 1911 guy, and she'd love to be all matchy with me.o_O

My wife went to a women's shooting class and tried a bunch of different pistols. She didn't like the subcompact, like the Sig P938 or the Ruger LC9 because their recoil is hard to manage in a little gun. She liked shooting 9mm from a full size better. Her favorite was the HK VP9. I'd like to have her try a Browning 1911-380 or Rock Island Baby Rock in .380 before we decide. They are both a little smaller and lighter than a full sized, but bigger than those tiny pistols. Plus I've heard recoil is really tame with them. Also, I'm a 1911 guy, and she'd love to be all matchy with me.o_O

Assuming then she likes and wants to carry / shoot a 1911 style pistol? If so have you checked for ranges in Olympia that have rentals? I don't live down there so don't know whats there. I would start there and call. See if they have anything in a 1911 style .380 to rent. If no luck there and you want to travel further north there is a couple ranges that have rentals.

Well. I like your choices. And you need to start somewhere. But don't expect your wife to be serious about guns and escape the evolutionary process we all seam to go through.

Will she carry concealed?

If so. It's likely she will end up owning several in time. And try several [Or all] the trigger types.
Most of us did. :D

Going with ''cocked and locked'' is as good as any place to start.

But she could just buy a Glock 43 and or a Glock 19/23. And be where I am after 30 year of experimentation.
I tried every type of trigger configuration in a gun you can imagine.

Striker fired is what felt fastest, safest, and what I surmised would give me the best chance of surviving if I use my a gun under pressure. ;)

Good luck. And I hope She enjoys the trip.

Last Edited:
I once had a Llama in .380 ACP that would probably be a fit for her. They are out of production. But, you might be able to find a used one for cheap.

That being said....

IMHO, try a 9mm (in the shrunken size M1911). Why? Because ammo is way cheaper. You (and your wife) will be shooting more. So, enjoy your time together (and at a more reasonable price).

Aloha, Mark

Target = 1911
Nightstand or carry = Glock rock

Just sayin... does she really want to carry cocked & locked? My wife didn't. And I don't trust her because she is neither mechanical nor a tool user. And if there is not one in the chamber in an emergency, might as well have a hammer. ;)

Did she shoot a 238. ? Or Colt Mustang 380 ? Mine likes the LCP and no safety to throw.

P238_v_Mustang_sideby2.jpg

Last Edited:
You may like Beretta Cheetah in 380 (model 85 is 8rd single stack, 84 is 13rd double stack). Like a 1911 it's safety is on the frame, but it is double-action so she doesn't require a cocked'n'locked carry to be ready.
Field stripping is easy. Accuracy is exceptional and the barrel length gets the most from the 380 (un-like those tiny pocket 380's).
Depending on the model/finish/condition, they can be pricey ($500-$900) though worth it.

I have 3...2 all stainless 84's and a sweet 86 (tip-up barrelled 380, and in my personal opinion the best nightstand gun ever. Hard to find an 86 now, and rare, so grab your wallet and your ankles).

One of my stainless 84's is currently listed5 here on NWFA. 84 beretta inox.jpg

Last Edited: