JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
300wm is relevant at LR. 7mm not as much but could be. They both get the velocity up but they're not as popular as the 6.5s like 6.5-284 or 6.5 cm or 260ai or 6.5x47. In 7mm there's the 284 win which is very popular. Wikipedia shows the 284 next to a 308 and a 7mm and it's instructive.

In general for long range you don't want everything you can have, you want just what you need.

Think lower recoil. Shorter action length . Higher BC bullets. Regular cartridge over belted mag. And case shoulder angle steep over shallow.

You want to move the high BC bullets faster while burning the powder efficiently. Although you might think that high velocity is everything, turns out how you get there is important.

Lots of folks like 338 Lapua. It's got a lot of testerosterone fore 1000 but over 1500 it's pretty much the winner short of pure wildcats.

Me? I shoot a 260ai (when @Velzey doesnt have it) and I like it. My buddy shots competition and has 300wm but prefers 308 Lapua magnum. (338 necked down to 308)(handload only although a real CIP cartridge)

Starting out? 6.5 sweed. 260. 6.5cm, 6.5x47. If you really need to buck the wind, 6.5x284 ( barrel life about 1000-1200 rounds)

If you're impressing other shooters 338LM.

Of course! With the caveat that you are going to have a threaded barrel and add either a break or a suppressor.

This quote was in response to recoil of 7mm Mag or 300 Mag.

I am not a big guy, but I've never been able to tell the recoil of a 7mm from a 30-06 in a similar rifle, or the recoil of the 300 vs an '06AI, which makes sense since the energy levels are similar. Stock design and recoil pad can make or break how well you and your rifle get along. I've only shot slightly over 100 rounds in one day, but that didn't pound me into submission and I see no reason for extra
length or bulk on my rifle.

I must just be "special".

I think either of these could be good for the OP's question, but I also think you'll work a lot harder to get a belted cartridge to shoot as consistently as well as a non belted one, especially if the distances stretch out.

This quote was in response to recoil of 7mm Mag or 300 Mag.

I am not a big guy, but I've never been able to tell the recoil of a 7mm from a 30-06 in a similar rifle, or the recoil of the 300 vs an '06AI, which makes sense since the energy levels are similar. Stock design and recoil pad can make or break how well you and your rifle get along. I've only shot slightly over 100 rounds in one day, but that didn't pound me into submission and I see no reason for extra
length or bulk on my rifle.

I must just be "special".

I think either of these could be good for the OP's question, but I also think you'll work a lot harder to get a belted cartridge to shoot as consistently as well as a non belted one, especially if the distances stretch out.
I would say both yes and no on the magnums. Yes it can be a bit of work to tune them to run properly, but once done, they truly shine! There are factory rifles, mainly Sako and Tikka thay have done this work for you already, so your well on your way to a very accurate rifle. Are they still viable as target shooters? That can o ly be answered by one who chooses to use one. Me, I like the .300 WM, it flat out works and isn't all that hard to get tuned. Recoil is subjective, stock design and shooter tolerances dictate what is and what isn't comfortable.
As for bucking the wind, 6.5 has always been king, and the grand old Swede can still play that game at the very apex of accuracy with the newest latest greatest wizz bang designs out there! :)

Just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard 270 following the 308. If you are looking for budget the Howa 1500, Howa makes Weatherby Vanguard; is a way to go. But Howa 1500 is 22 " barrel and Weatherby is 24.

How does one even buy a tikka?
  1. Come to Portland.
  2. Go to the Ikea cafeteria. Drink a bunch of that Lignonberry Koolaid.
  3. Head down I-205 to the Johnson Creek exit, go to Sportsman's Warehouse.
  4. Walk to the gun counter, ask to see their T3 Hunter in 270
  5. After passing BGC, empty a sh*t ton of money from your wallet.
  6. Go shoot it.
  7. You will see it was worth every step.

1. Come to Portland.
  2. Go to the Ikea cafeteria. Drink a bunch of that Lignonberry Koolaid.
  3. Head down I-205 to the Johnson Creek exit, go to Sportsman's Warehouse.
  4. Walk to the gun counter, ask to see their T3 Hunter in 270
  5. After passing BGC, empty a sh*t ton of money from your wallet.
  6. Go shoot it.
  7. You will see it was worth every step.
Can I skip steps 1-3 and go to medfords sportmans warehouse? lol

I may drive over there this weekend to check them out too. I didn't know they carried Tikka's. That place is like the last place I go to get powder and bullets because they're always over priced.

Late to the party but in my defense I was laying on a beach in Hawaii. :D

Tikka hands down with out a question is the way to go. You won't need any modification's to it out of the box. slap a scope on it and go shoot sub MOA.

Don't let them talk you out of a .270. They used to be at the top in competitions in the old days. For a starter target rifle, it is not a bad choice. If you can get a good deal on a nice .270, give it a try.

That's what I was thinking. I shot a 270 a few weeks ago at the local range. I was impressed with the grouping at 200 yards. Not much recoil either. I also already load 6.8 spc and 277 wolverine in my AR's so I'm familiar with bullet selection

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top