JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was looking at the choate and the boyds stock for my Savage.
I went with the Boyds it was just more pleasing to the eye.
But by the time I put the Stock and Criterion light varmint on it, it became a little heavy for hunting use.
Nice! I just got my Boyds for my 1903 and love it, bit it is a touch heavy! I got the ghost grey two tone and will coat in a flat clear with glass beads in the grip and for end!

This is what I am going with, will be very very close to this!
M03-A3-Remington-Springfield-3006-1.jpg

I picked up a Bergara HMR last year for $950. I have a 20 m.o.a. rail, new brass and reloading dies but still need a scope and rings. It is the 6.5 Creedmoor. I needed something above .223 size for longer range varmint hunting and whacking steel targets.

I was looking at the choate and the boyds stock for my Savage.
I went with the Boyds it was just more pleasing to the eye.
But by the time I put the Stock and Criterion light varmint on it, it became a little heavy for hunting use.
I bought a Choate for my Savage mod. It was an immediate 'meh' for me. The aluminum bedding block, which extended into the fore end made the rifle extremely front heavy. If all you're going to do is shoot from a bench, the Choate is great.
Got rid of it ASAP, bought a MDT LSS-XL instead. The LSS is a good stock, but not something you want to have if you're shooting off-hand, unless you put a fore end grip on it.

I bought a Remy 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308 for about $650 new. Put Vortex Viper PST FFP glass with mount/rings on it for another $900. Modified the factory Hogue stock to accommodate the Magpul Hunter DBM bottom metal so I could use inexpensive Magpul AI-compatible detachable mags. Only accurizing work I've done is bed the recoil lug and lap the bolt lugs. With the factory Hogue stock, that improved accuracy from 2MOA to sub MOA with factory ammo for a cost of $5 for the epoxy. Factory trigger is great, and I don't have to spend $70 each for proprietary Savage mags.

Regardless of what you get, expect to spend more on the optic than the rifle.

I bought a Choate for my Savage mod. It was an immediate 'meh' for me. The aluminum bedding block, which extended into the fore end made the rifle extremely front heavy. If all you're going to do is shoot from a bench, the Choate is great.
Got rid of it ASAP, bought a MDT LSS-XL instead. The LSS is a good stock, but not something you want to have if you're shooting off-hand, unless you put a fore end grip on it.

Thats what I wanted! But couldn't shell out the money for one at this point

Most here, My self included, Swear by Tikka rifles, they are well proven to be the very best mid priced rifles out there! You would be hard pressed to find a rifle any where near the price of a Tikka that can perform as good or offer the quality and smoothness of a factory Tikka! You can ask any one here, @No_Regerts, @SKrueger @Kruel J @pharmseller and many others what they think of Tikka Rifles!:D:D:D
We even have a thread here on them!

That thread never gets old!

upload_2018-10-10_21-44-54.png

thanks for all the responses! great opinions here.

Is 300 win mag still realavent? or 7mm ?
Of course! With the caveat that you are going to have a threaded barrel and add either a break or a suppressor. No one enjoys shooting for long when you shoulder is being punished, and for no good reason. Mean guns can quickly develop bad shooting habits which are critical to avoid when you are a quarter mile away and need to place your shot inside an eight inch circle. That extra power can work to your advantage in making a one-shot opportunity count, but you might need to hunt outside Western Oregon to have the opportunity to experience it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top