Want long range bolt action rifle - thoughts or recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by _torque_spec_, Oct 6, 2018.

1. _torque_spec_

_torque_spec_
    Grants Pass

Wanting to buy a bolt action rifle good for 500+ yards for target shooting.
    Cartridges I've considered so fare are 6mm and 6.5 Creedmoor
    Thoughts to consider are cost of reloading.
    Availability of brass.
    Proven cartridge performance.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be awesome.

2. Greenbug

Greenbug
    Bend

Masterpiece arms

3. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Are you just getting into LR shooting? What kind of budget? If you’re just getting into it and given your desired range, I’d look at a turn-key option like the Tikka T3x Or Remington M700 5R mil-spec. 308 is a good way to go until you push 800 yards. Cheap to reload and components are endless. Factory ammo is also readily available for less money.

The Creedmoors are good cartridges for that game since they give you more lattitude with bullet seating depth vs 243 and 260. I’d go 11 twist or faster in 308. Wouldn’t slum anything but an 8 twist 6.5 or 9 twist 6mm.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hard to beat a Savage 10 series in .308 to get your feet wet in the long range world! A 10 FCP-SR would be about the best and well proven accuracy platform from which to build from and will leave you with cash to spend on a good piece of glass!

EPS, v0lcom13sn0w, ron and 5 others like this.
  5. _torque_spec_

_torque_spec_
    Grants Pass

Budget is probably less then a grand without glass. Trigger is pretty important to me also

bbbass likes this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff

With that budget, you could be into a Tikka T3X and still have a few coins left over for ammo!
    Or the Savage, and a scope and still have a few coins left over for a coffee!
    Both have top notch triggers BTW
    Avoid Remington 700's like the plague unless it's a Sendero, and those are Magnum only now days!

7. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

And if you do a 6mm or 6.5, don’t neuter yourself with a 20 inch barrel. Go 24.

8. _torque_spec_

_torque_spec_
    Grants Pass

Those Tikka rifles are looking interesting

coyotecaller, Medic! and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Boboclown

Boboclown
    North Carolina
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Coffee and more ammo you mean? :D

Tikka is nice, if I was going with a push feed I'd go with a Tikka.

Medic! and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff

Most here, My self included, Swear by Tikka rifles, they are well proven to be the very best mid priced rifles out there! You would be hard pressed to find a rifle any where near the price of a Tikka that can perform as good or offer the quality and smoothness of a factory Tikka! You can ask any one here, @No_Regerts, @SKrueger @Kruel J @pharmseller and many others what they think of Tikka Rifles!:D:D:D
    We even have a thread here on them!

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff

Depending on how good you go with glass! But yea, a Vortex and a 10FCP would leave you with enough for one of each!

fredball likes this.
  12. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened
    Pain in the neck. Gold Supporter

They shoot good. But there ugly! ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    bbbass and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. coop44

coop44
    Tacoma ,WA

Lots of rifles are capable of 500+ yards. If you are just putting holes in paper, or hunting, will determine caliber. Personally I would have to go with a 30 caliber round, .308, 30/06, or 300win mag. That's me, everyone has preferences shaped by what their experiences have been. Target shooting is fun at the range where it's a fun walk down to check targets. 500 yard hunting is something else, got to think, "how the hell am I going to get that big s.o.b. Back to the truck?".

Regardless of caliber here's my list by preference

1. Winchester model 70 classic lrh "laredo" (was offered in 300 wm, and 7mm rem mag, composite h&s stock and rumor has it, a 26" Douglas barrel. Good luck finding one.
    2. Weatherby Mark v, just for the fact it has a super strong action.
    3. CZ, the cleanest mauser style action out there.

Never owned a tikka, or a remington, or a savage, likely never will.

14. orygun

orygun
    West Linn
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Amazingly, that's important to me, too. I value function over form, but I spend enough time packing my rifle around and holding it, I want to at least enjoy looking at it. Even though my rifle is black and stainless, not nicely figured wood and bright bluing, I like the way it looks.
    My rifle is a Ruger M77 MKII 30-06 that most long range people will over look because it's a claw (Mauser style extractor) and it's well, a Ruger.
    I'd buy another one, or a Hawkeye (same thing) before buying a Ruger American, and I'd probably buy an American before buying any other production bolt action. One of the few rifles I'd consider would be a Winchester Classic 70 Stainless. It's wet here, Very wet most of the hunting season.
    While we all want ultimate accuracy, I'll tell you that the hunter is the reason for the miss, not the rifle.
    You know how "gun guys" are. It works, I like it, and I see no reason for change.

bbbass and bsa1917hunter like this.
  15. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened
    Pain in the neck. Gold Supporter

I find you can get both function and looks from a Tika.

As for the Ruger? A MKII has been my hunting rifle for 25+ years now.
    With a nice walnut stock.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    bbbass, orygun, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  16. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

Good post. Tikka's sure do shoot good. I also like the fact you suggested Savage in an earlier post. The op could go to Cabela's and catch the Savage 12FV on sale and have a great "long range" capable rig, coupled with a good scope like a SWFA 10x or 16x and be plenty good past 500 yards. I know I'd trust mine at that distance:
    09E03O4.jpg
    kWKe2Hu.jpg
    Still working on loads for this one. After hunting season this one will get more attention. This combo cost a total of $690.00 and can be had for less when the Savage comes with a $100.00 rebate. When I bought the rifle, it was on sale ($384.00). It's ugly, but I believe it's going to be a good shooter..

17. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

This was my "elk rifle" for many years. It would flatten any elk at 500 yards. No problemo.... Although, it had a few things done to it, such as glass bedding and trigger work (broke very cleanly at 2.5 pounds). Was extremely accurate for a 338wm...:
    Z6nSGfF.jpg
    I sold it when I got my semi custom pre 64 338wm. I still miss the Ruger 77 though... Probably should have just kept it for sentimental reasons..

Ramjet12, bbbass, Medic! and 4 others like this.
  18. Boboclown

Boboclown
    North Carolina

I LOVE my Ruger Hawkeye in .30-06. It reminds me of shooting the mauser. Comes apart like one too, for the most part.

But I hate how it makes me want another.

bbbass, orygun, No_Regerts and 2 others like this.
  19. Oregunian

Oregunian
    Eugene

I can vouch for the Savage 10 FCP-SR. I've only taken it out to 500 yards, but it groups sub MOA out of the box. Throw a 10x SWFA scope and you'll be able to reach 800 yards easily. FB_IMG_1538927250946.jpg

fredball, bbbass, Medic! and 4 others like this.
  20. GWS

GWS
    Vancouver

Check out the Bergara B-14 HMR. They run around $900 and are outstanding rifles.

erslll and jblake00 like this.