JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I kinda have a rule of thumb. If a gun sits in my safe for 50 years and I haven't shot it then I'll consider selling it. Since I'm only 45 I haven't sold one yet. :D

LOL I'm being a smart azz :s0112:

For those of you saying an AR isn't truly free float due to the gas block, since the tube isn't affixed to anything but the block and is free to move, wouldn't that make it free?

OP, you have an AR, the most customizable gun in history. Instead of a whole new gun, just get a new upper in a different caliber for funzies. Or if you are set on a new one, you can easily build for less than $400. I just finished a pistol for that.

If the front handguard, rail, is not attached or supported by the barrel, it's free floating. That's my understanding. Gas tube has nothing to do with it.

I've thrown a lot of money at ARs. And the kiss build w open sights and carry handle is one of my favorites.

IMG_20170304_084927.jpg

Did they shoot 30 rounds through theirs? lol
jesus christ
Nope they shoot the hell out of theirs.Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking them at all. I'm just so new to the AR word just wanting to make sure I have a dependable weapon. For fun shooting and the SHTF scenario. And actually it's really only one friend that knocks my Sport. But he has deep pockets for gun fund. I do not.

Nope they shoot the hell out of theirs. And actually it's really only one friend that knocks my Sport. But he has deep pockets for gun fund. I do not.

Frickin gun elitist is what he is. And juvenile to boot! Does he drive a fancy rig too, and cut you down for yours? Screw it, he's just doing a guy thing cuz his pecker is small. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I too am in the "shoot the heck out of that thing" crowd. Spend your money on ammo. Get to be as good or better shot with it than your mall ninja buddies. That will show em LOL :)

Edit: Having said that, I really strongly believe that everyone should know how to build/repair, at least anyone who runs them.

I have a friend, a former Marine who went to war as a contractor with an SBR he home built. I asked him if it was registered and he said hell no. Then asked why he didn't go full auto, and he said, He could have, but when he was in the marines, he never really used it, so settled on semi only. I think the lower was a Spikes IIRC.

Point is: He went to war with a home build. And survived. So did the gun. Still has it :)
He is done contracting but kept the gun.

Last Edited:
Truth is the M&P Sport is a great rifle, you don't really need to "upgrade" anything. If you want an upper with forward assist and dust cover you can always buy one later. You can swap out the bolt carrier group and charging handle if you like to. Point is these changes are very easy to do. Chances are, you will not see any noticable difference in the lower reciever if you buy a different rifle.

Uppers come in all flavors. From forward assist and dust cover to different calibers and handguards. Are you planning on sticking with 5.56/.223 for now? And as far as the trigger, pop the fire control pins out and give them some love with Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. I've got a mil-spec trigger done like that at a 5 pound break and no grit. Of course, I did that before assembly. :)

The one thing I really like about this group of folks on this forum is all of us have been in the same boat as you. We were new to the gun world and ARs at one time and we have gone through the same thought process as you.

In saying that they are down to earth and so they are telling to shoot it and enjoy it before you spend a ton of money cuz your buddy says it is the best thing, only to find out you hate it and the stock gun felt better.

Some of us started playing in the AR world when there were very few options out there up until now where there are catalog after catalog of AR goodies. We have all played the gun dance with all the bell and whistles and you will do the same over time. Learn from our mistakes!

I have so many take off stock grips and spare parts (and I keep adding to them) and I have dressed a couple of them up so many times and different ways that I am not sure what they looked like when I got them but to me they are like an expensive jig saw puzzle/Barbie dolls.

I agree a good grip makes a big difference but before you buy stop at a couple shops and try a few out. Magpul is now on a lot of different factory guns so handle one and see if it is what you like before you buy. I like the BCM Mod 3 grip as it is wider for my fat hands and a different angle than stock and both grips are less than 20 bucks. Hogue and Magpul make a rubberized grip that some folks like for its added gripping power with sweaty hands.

I prefer flip up sites over red dots as they require no batteries and there is nothing worse than being at the range with dead batteries and no spare. I run a 2x7 scope on one for medium range fun but before you spend on a new one use the one you have learn what it is capable of then go shop for a new one. Then you truly have something to compare to.

Enjoy and welcome to the AR addiction.
This is wisdom.

Nope they shoot the hell out of theirs.Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking them at all. I'm just so new to the AR word just wanting to make sure I have a dependable weapon. For fun shooting and the SHTF scenario. And actually it's really only one friend that knocks my Sport. But he has deep pockets for gun fund. I do not.
Well in that case, you're already covered. That Smith & Wesson is a good quality gun. It is very dependable. Even most bottom end ARs are dependable. The design has been around a while and folks know how to make quality guns and parts for not too much money. But your gun is not a bottom of the line AR. S&W is mid range.

Spend your money on ammo. If you've never taken a rifle class, take one. You don't have to go to Thunder Ranch either. The NRA Basic Rifle class will teach you the fundamentals of rifle shooting as well as any other class, and it's less than $100 for the weekend at most places. You'll be surprised how much more accurate your rifle will be after you complete the class. ;)

Don't over think the fwd assist, the trigger the sights, the barrel. Go get 1000 rounds and SHOOT IT. At this time your rifle is not living up to its potential because it's not being used. Go practice, get good, hit some 2" targets at 100 yards with open sights. You'll shut your buddies up real fast.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top