JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know this may sound crazy but I've put only 20rds through my Sport. And I'm thinking of getting something else.

So... you have no idea how it runs then :D

Seriously, buy some ammo, and go shoot. Don't buy a gaudy rail, don't buy some sh*tty red dot sight... Buy ammo, go burn it. 20 rounds??? Thats like getting her pants 1/8th the way off and calling it a night...

You hit the nail on the head Max713. I guess just listening to the guys I work with who shoot BCM and Noveske I need a big name AR. Other than my M&P Sport

I know this may sound crazy but I've put only 20rds through my Sport. And I'm thinking of getting something else.

20 rounds? Have you shot any other AR rifles besides your own? At 20 rounds, you haven't even made it to first base. Learn the platform. Practice practice practice. And honestly, who cares what the guys at work think? They spent three to five times the money on a rifle that yours will keep up with. Who's laughing now?

Ok lemme see some upgraded M&P Sports. So I can get some ideas. That's my virgin M&P

IMG_1914.JPG IMG_1915.JPG

You hit the nail on the head Max713. I guess just listening to the guys I work with who shoot BCM and Noveske I need a big name AR. Other than my M&P Sport

Need, no. Want, sure.
If you want a new BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske... Go buy one, who cares. If you can justify it financially, go for it.
But, none of those are going to make you a better shooter, and honestly none of those are going to make you have more fun at the range. Some of the best times I can remember having were some of my first outings with my first AR, a bone stock M&P 15 Sport.

This photo is a little down the road with a few money gobbling upgrades, but still.
_MAX4197-L.jpg

I'm a glutton for nice sh*t...

MAX_5208-L.jpg

MAX_5937-L.jpg

MAX_8922-2-L.jpg

MAX_7941-L.jpg

But if you're on a budget, run the sh*t out of your M&P, guarantee you will have more fun shooting it, than you will ever have just staring at a BCM in your closet...

That is a fine piece of hardware. I say shoot it and enjoy it.

Here is a build I completed for probably less than half of a Noveske, and she will dot the I's and cross the T's.

FullSizeRender (28).jpg

This may sound small (because it is) but a new better pistol grip can make the whole rifle feel better.
Agreed. I like the hogue. Great texture and feel to it. Not as good as their AK version but I really like it. The MOE+ grips are nice as well but I like the hogue a little better. Many options that are an improvement over mil-spec.

A piece at a time...you can do it. You will be surprised at what you actually end with, as I guarantee it will be different than what you are picturing now. It just happens that way, for me at least.

Kruejl, no I have never shot any other AR's just my Sport.

Thanks for your honest answer man. The AR world has unlimited options. You're welcome to try mine out if you ever make it over to the west side. But bring yours as well, I enjoy the platform and appreciate all of them!

In my mind you can never have 2 many AR's but that is just me.

The MP sport is a good rifle but the lack of dust cover and forward assist for most civilian applications is a non issue. If you are truly worried about a SHTF end of the world you do what most third world countries do, you use what you have (MP Sport) to acquire what you need (the bad guys stuff) and new rifle problem solved.

If you want a new rifle I will agree with others the MP Sport II, Ruger 5.56, Springfield Saint, Delton and a number of others all run around the 600 (plus) price point and all are good rifles.

Yes there are others with different features that cost more and may be better in certain battlefield situations but they are only worth the money if you feel there are worth the money. All the fancy rails and gadgets are worth less unless you can prove it makes it more reliable.

Why do you think the military runs plain Jane rifles because you gain nothing with all the civilian bells and whistles?

The KISS principal (Keep it simple stupid) is in my mind is the best path to go and yes I have junk on a couple of mine but they are not my go to rifles.

I have BCM, Colt, PSA, Delton and several no name scratch built from traded parts and they all feel the same, shoot the same and I tend to abuse the cheap ones more as cost was lower, they run and it's cheaper to replace the barrels on them than the Colt rifles or my BCM uppers.

I love BCM stuff and I have one that is my go to rifle in a SHTF for reasons and features that in my mind make it worth it and I also train with it but in saying that my current truck gun is a 11 inch AR pistol parts gun that I have tested and feel comfortable with and have less than 400 into it. It has a nitride barrel for toughness and a mix of PSA, Anderson, KAK and Aero parts and after 500 abusive rounds without an issue it went into the truck. It isn't pretty, fancy or decked out but it runs and so far it runs well.

So really think about what you want this rifle to do or you will end up like most with a 16 pound SHTF rifle with all the do-dads and the first time you have to really carry it during a SHTF you will realize how useless all that stuff is and how heavy that rifle becomes after three days of marching away from the enemy while carrying your survival gear.

But if you want a fun shooter, camping, home defense rifle you all ready have it.

Last Edited:
B5Ben what do you have.
I have put all of mine together from parts, or acquired uppers and lowers. Never bought a complete AR to be honest. They are just like lego kits for adults. My latest is an 18" in .223 wylde with a vortex CFII 6-18x. I think I'm into it for ~$600 as it sits. Not a great pic but here it is. IMG_8935.JPG

The bushnell TRS or Burris XTS have worked well for me and you can find them on sale for about $50 a few times a year. I prefer the full tube red dot instead of the windowed version. They seem to be more robust to me. Here's the XTS on an FAL. Nice and small 3 MOA dot IMG_8936.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top