JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
but as we all know, those rifles are above the $1000.00 price range.

Edited to add: The real kicker is... Most quality upper receivers are NOT $800 bucks. ****, I just bough a complete BCM (hand matched upper and lower to minimize play between the two) for $1134 shipped. Locally, DPMS, Bushmasters, and Olympics were at that price point or MORE.

BCM Uppers are about $515 minus a BCG.

Sounds to me (like Selftest has said several times) he would suggest saving up a couple hundred more dollars and waiting another couple months (or however long) to get the better quality rifle for his money. :s0155:

Sounds to me that 22many is upset that he bought a lower tier rifle. Despite multiple people, myself included, telling him it works just fine for it's use.

Some people just want to be upset.

Wakejoe, what is you deal? I posted info on what I have read and what I have experienced and you come off like nobodys else's opinion matters but yours. So if I came off as a dick, then it was warrented. Im sure you have higher quaility AR,s than the majority than us but the poster said "budget of 1K". Im sure what your takling about is well above the $1000.00 price range. Personal bashfest? How do you figure that? You gonna bash me because of my experience on my own weapons? Because I have a different opinion than yours? Oh, and loosing battle?.......lol. Whatever.

:s0114:

No they're not. Oly, DPMS, RRA, etc etc all have Commercial, NOT mil-spec, buffer tubes.

They also all use semi-auto Bolt Carriers, instead of the perfectly legal and correct Full auto carrier. The Semi auto has a chunk cut out of the bottom, making the carrier lighter. This DOES make a difference.

They also use 1/9 twist barrels, and chrome lining is optional. Again, not milspec. "Milspec" would be 1/7 twist, chrome-lined.

How is that anything that you are accusing him of?:huh: That was his first reply to you. Simply saying that your information was incorrect. He has not in any way insulted your precious weapons. He was simply saying that those weapon brands aren't Milspec. How do you get off attacking him for giving correct information? If you actually thought he was wrong, you should have cited a source that supports your "fact" (If you could have found one; Yeah right.) that those ARE milspec. He has not bashed you or your weapons, just the information you were giving. Get over yourself! As far as I can see it, you owe him an apology with the way you talked to him. :confused:

Hmm.....BCM Upper for $515, Mega lower with RRA LPK and operator stock installed from me: $350, you're sitting at $865, I have RRA bolts for $130, so you're still just barely under $1k and good to go with an awesome setup.

Are RRA bolts Ok? Shouldn't I get a BCM/Colt M16 profile bolt instead?

If you're worried about long term durability.

Lower-tier (RRA, etc) uses a semi-auto bolt carrier, that doesn't have enough weight. The weapons system is tuned for the heavier bolt. So when you take the weight out, you get a bolt that slams too hard to the rear, reduces dwell time, and a whole list of other things. Brass smacking the deflector and flying all over the place being the first noticed.

If you're worried about long term durability.

Lower-tier (RRA, etc) uses a semi-auto bolt carrier, that doesn't have enough weight. The weapons system is tuned for the heavier bolt. So when you take the weight out, you get a bolt that slams too hard to the rear, reduces dwell time, and a whole list of other things. Brass smacking the deflector and flying all over the place being the first noticed.

Or you can just use an H-buffer.

Or you can just use an H-buffer.

Correct, which works well.

But RRA/etc still aren't chrome lined bolts/carriers, like BCM/Colt/Etc will be.
And I don't THINK they are shot peened, which adds a great deal of strength.

And the gas key is not staked properly. This one is easily fixed by the shooter, though.

Plus, I would still wonder about the balance of the carrier. Might not matter, but it's something to think about.

Lower tier carriers; Lighter weight, parked only, not treated.
Upper tier carriers; Parked exterior for oil retention, Chrome lined interior for eas of cleaning/better function when dirty, proper weight so it's slower and easier on the rifle, heat treated/shot peened for added strength and reliability...

So after all the posts here. Did you get a consensus?

Man, everybody has a bung hole, and an idea of the perfect gun.

You need to find yours, and go get it.

I have a budget of about $1K and want the best AR-15 I can get. I have read and read and read and looked and looked. I cannot come to a conclusion other than nobody agrees on much. Looking for suggestions on what to get and where to get it.

IMHO... I would save up the extra $150 and go with a piston because it's going that way... Look at the HK416/MR556 or the HK417/MR762 as well as the FN- SCARL/556 or the FN- SCARH/762.

<broken link removed>

When it comes down to it...just do your homework a get what you like best.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top