Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wanna shoot a .22 rifle in New York ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chee-to, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Westside Rifle & Pistol Range. Having served the New York metropolitan area since 1964, Westside has evolved into a full service shooting range that caters to a variety of shooters. Our members include hobbyists, hunters, and members of the law enforcement community.

In the City of New York one does not need a permit to shoot a .22 caliber rifle. At Westiside we offer the opportunity for novices to experience the excitement of firing a .22 caliber rifle.

Requirement: 21 years of age or older, permanent US resident
    Fee: $65.00

Above fee will provide you with:

Instruction from an NRA certified Range Safety Officer
    Ruger 10/22 semi-automatic rifle
    50 rounds of .22 caliber ammunition
    Targets

During your first visit you are required to take a safety course in the classroom and have an instructor on the firing line with you. Return visits past 3 months of your last visit require you to attend a refresher course.

Return visits to Westside are $35.00
    Targets and ammunition additional

For your first visit to Westside, we request that you call at least 5 days ahead of time to schedule an appointment. Westside must perform a criminal background check on all new shooters prior to scheduling your appointment. To perform this check, you must provide the name, address, birthdate and ID (driver's license, passport, etc...) of all the individuals in your party. A non-refundable deposit is required.

To register online for our rifle classes, please fill out our registration form completely and accurately. You will need to provide all of the information stated above.

Assistance is available for those applying for their NYC Pistol License, including license application typing (with accompanying letters)*
    $35.00 for members
    $135.00 for non-members
    *There are additional fees for non-standard format letters

Individual firearm handling and marksmanship training is available for $50.00/hr.
    Westside Pistol & Rifle Range

2. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Im so glad we can still shoot out in the hills.

3. cpy911

cpy911 Newberg Active Member

We can today...but will my 8 yo son be able to when he is a grown man?

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  4. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Feelin it man!

5. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

I can shoot out of my windows as long as I police my brass. The wife gets all kinds of upset when the empties get caught in the vacuum cleaner.

6. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Southern Oregon Coast Well-Known Member

Lead is poison - GET IT?

7. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

So is flouride and yet they put that crap in my drinking water.

8. Silver Hand

It started with paint, Then gasoline, Then lead shot, Wheel weights on automobiles and trucks.
    Is there a future for the lead bullet?

9. Silver Hand

If you drive from the Bronx's Line North there are several beautiful out door ranges. I shot at several of them. Blue Mountain was a favorite over fourty years ago. They had the most orderly range I have seen. One to three hundred yards rifle with remote targets and spotters at any range that would paper patch the holes after you scored. You never left the bench!
    Trap with all the distance stations - skeet with you shooting from two towers right and left. Shells -AAAs-Winchester were $1.75 a box a round of skeet or trap was $1.25 about 25 Birds were thrown.
    The pistol range was well set up as was Bow and Arrow.
    For residents! Main Entry was about a dollar or two including targets in pistol- Rifle - B&W
    That State has it stuff together Almost sorry I left. It was a mess back then filthy polluted air, sky and rivers. Oceans were dieing also around the city.
    The kind of money you see listed is chump change in that economy. Back about 1970 I saw an average pay of $700.00 in a thirty five hour week with benefits before taxes and $850.00 a week was not that hard to do with over time.
    If you were privileged enough to carry a membership in the Westchester Pistol Police Team as I was and had in your possession a pistol permit and a Verifiability registered pistol attached to your carry permit, as I still do. You could use the police range at no charge except the Bullets you spent from in house store at about $2.00 A BOX .38

10. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Is there a practical alternative? Been thinking about this for a while.

11. Silver Hand

There has not been for shot in over 15 years!

12. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Am I missing something on this thread? Everyone seems to be in on the joke but me.

13. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

You dont see the disparity of rights between NY and the NW?

In new york you have to make an appointment to jump through hoops, take a class and pay ridiculous money in order to shoot a few mags out of a 10/22.

Here, I can drive to The Barons Den any time I want and shoot a fully automatic tommy gun for the same price and none of the hoop jumping.

14. Silver Hand

MrNiceGuy I can say this - NYC is a very small piece of the entire State. Have you ever seen the Adirondack Wilderness region? FOREVER WILD and it is huge, ALL OF YELLOWSTONE- Great Smokies- Yosemite- Grand Canyon- and Glacier WILL FIT INSIDE it's Boundrys. Or have you seen the Catskill mountains? I have hunted and fished in each of the regions dozens of times wile growing up. They don't log it ether.
    People that live in the five burrows do what they do and live by the city laws including the Sullivan law. They realize there options.
    You can step over the Bronx line and be in Westchester County the wealthiest county in the United States of America - The laws are different there! As they are in Putnam County or Orange County [as in OCC-Choppers!] Douglas or Dutchas County & many others. If things haven't changed you can shoot and own anything you want in those county's. Big bore rifles may not be include in all of the lower more populated regions and for good reason they have the best Ranges in the whole dam Country to compensate for safety of it's Citizens.
    I Had a machinist friend in Westchester who built a three shot fifty cal. bolt action rifle and displayed it in the Gun shop window all summer.
    No one has Chains on them, you can come and go as you please. Don't Forget - We all still live in a free Country :thumbup: U.S.A. :thumbup:

15. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I wouldnt say it's a very small piece of the state. Almost half of the states population lives there after all.
    Those millions of people would have to move in order to own many of the guns that sit in my safe right now. And forget about a CHL.

Being able to leave doesnt excuse the lack of rights back at home IMHO.
    NY can't be considered a gun friendly state when nearly half of it's citizens gun rights are extremely restricted or non-existent.
    Did you know that for over 8 million people in that state, it's a misdemeanor to posses any ammo if they don't have a registered gun in that caliber?

16. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Guess that makes ammo collecting a crime ;)

17. Vantage

Vantage Pacific Standard Time Active Member

Dude.. Barons' Den kicks ___. If I had the money, knowledge, abillity, etc... and could open a gun shop, that's how I'd do it. Except I'd expand on the "lounge" aspect of it. Coffee bar, donuts, and a female friend of mine suggested putting in a pedicurist somewhere. Could you imagine? Whether your wife enjoys guns or not... she'd let you spend all the time you wanted there.

Sorry.. didn't mean to go off topic. We now take you back to the regularly scheduled program already in progress.

18. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Vantage - you are a thinking businessperson! Why small business owners just can't figure out a basic angle on bringing in extra clients is beyond me. One common denominator - cater to the female. Since most husbands are nothing more than neutered pets, it is the smart thing to do.

gunnails and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Vantage

Vantage Pacific Standard Time Active Member

It's a good idea, right? If you're wife says, "I don't want to go down there today... you always take forever and there is really nothing that I'm interested in." This way she could go and get her nails done while you shop. Plus... if she drops $30 on her nail, then surely you can drop the same amount on at least some ammo, or another magazine or something, right?

Might even put up a flat screen with some choice movies on it. Maybe some Clint classics or Heat. Or some training video's... whatever... I don't know... just spit ballin' here.

20. Silver Hand