JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up my new FN Herstal SCAR 17s from my buddies FFL today. Even after paying tax here in Washington he was still able to beat most of the prices in the Portland metro area. (Insert happy dance here). I haven't been able to shoot it yet because my range is closed for the week but this weekend I will run it through the paces. So far I am in love.

Here is a video of me doing a first look/in-boxing.

FNH Scar Heavy 17s - Unboxing and first look - YouTube

scar-1.jpg

Nice, am considering black scars but am waiting for the version w a non recip. handle

A few observations:

1) The reciprocating charging handle is GREAT! It's far enough forward I can see it in my peripheral vision. If I have a stoppage I glance down to see where the CH is. If it's forward, I've probably got a FTFire. If it's all the way back, my mag is most likely empty. If the CH has stopped in some weird position halfway along, I probably have a FTFeed.
2) The CH is a much easier target for my left hand to hit after changing a mag on a open bolt.
3) Any non-reciprocating CH has to be more complex than a reciprocating CH. Case in point, the F2000 has a non-reciprocating CH that can be used as a FA. But, it's much easier to break and consists of 2 plastic parts, 2 metal parts, 3 roll pins, and a spring. This is vs the SCAR's CH which is 1 part.

H

Larry Vickers sings its praises as well. http://youtu.be/BJOhOUNIZeI

If I win the lottery, its definitely going in the bunker adjacent to the firing range I will build... :)

Until then I will my have to do with my M1A. Its old school compared to the SCAR but I carried an M14 in Afghanistan as a DMR so its basically a legacy rifle for me.

Have you shot an M1A? I was wondering what the recoil of the SCAR might be compared to the M1A. Would definitely be more handy in and out of vehicles and more reliable as well since the action isn't open to the elements like the M14. Does the stock feel solid? Well made? Its a beauty and definitely drool worthy... :)

Thanks for your service. What kind of optics were you using on your 14?

I've owned a few M1A's and the recoil on this is notably softer than on the M14 platform. I love M1As but ended up selling my latest one so I could get this. It doesn't have the soul of an M14 rifle but darn it's smooth. BTW the stock feels more solid than an M4 but obviously not as solid as a big hunk of birch or walnut.

I really love mine, but I am wondering how the reciever will hold up after 5,000+ rounds. Its all anodized aluminum. I know exactly how my M1A has held up. My worry is seeing the small wear marks in the inside of the reciever. I guess I will find out..

Leupold Mk 4 LR/T 4.5-14x with MILDOT reticle was on my DMR M14. Too spendy to put on my M1A unless the taxpayers want to buy me one... :) I loved that scope but they gave me a Springfield Armory mount which was way too high. Never had to use it in combat but it was great in the towers.

designatedmarksman.jpg

For the SCAR I think one of those 1-6X scopes would be ideal since it has long range capabilities but is also at home up close. The Aimpoint is a great red dot optic. I prefer it over the Eotech which I have had as well. I wonder if anyone uses the SCAR heavy in 3 gun yet. Have to do some Googling. Now you guys got me trying to figure out a way to afford one...:(

Oh, do you think the SCAR needs an ejection port cover or does it close up pretty tight the way it is? Just thought it was odd they didn't put one on since its layout is a bit like the M16/M4.

Thanks for sharing the photo of you on your M14. It really is great seeing those old workhorses in action again. As for the ejection port it appears to be a non-issue. As with FALs and AK47s it appears to be really tight. As for 3-gun, there are alot of people using it. Just do a search on you tube and a bunch of stuff comes up. I believe that FN even has a team and their SCARS are blue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top