JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking at the PPQ, the PDP adds the RMR capability and that's it. They just added giant serrations and that's it. Maybe I can find a PPQ in .40 S&W for a good price, now.

View attachment 828484

New grip texture and and slide cuts on the PPQ? I applaud them for trying to make improvements on an already awesome gun. If they would have rolled this out as the PPQ M3 it would have made more sense.

When they come out with all the hype and fanfare, it's easy to disappoint. You think they would have learned from Glock and Springfield.

It would have made no sense, IMO. The M2 denotes a Browning style mag release and M1 is for a paddle mag release. What would M3 mean? What I want to see is a PDP M1, this current rendition is the PDP M2 and I suspect it will replace the PPQ series.

Walther basically took the features from several of their existing pistols (PPQ M2, Q5, Q4 steel frame) combined and improved them with a few tweeks.The PPQ already had one of the best, if not the best, striker fired triggers on the market, the PDP improved it. Those are not serrations on the slide but rather protrusions. Will be an improvement? I suspect it will. Previous Walther optic cut pistol were either geared for competition or steel frame model and removed the rear sight. The slide profile cross section is completely different and allows many red dot optics to sit low enough to use the stock sights, which remain and are Glock compatible, meaning endless options. As good as the grip profile and texture is on the PQP it still is slippery with sweaty, muddy, etc. hand and in some hands or with gloves awkward , the Q4 steel frame style profile and texture fixes that.

I always thought the PPQ should have had a larger following and was a real sleeper of a pistol, but this new PDP IMO is nothing short of the best polymer framed, striker fired pistol currently on the market.

I sure ain't a fan of any toggle-trigger I've ever encountered....and speaking of Ugly Tree,
the PPX was as much a fruit of those branches as any I've seen. I was gifted one and grew rather fond of how it fit my hand, and remain pleased with the trigger as issued.

Bring back the P99!

I sorely miss my wonderful P99...

View attachment 826920

If they made those again, I would order one immediately. Elegant and wonderful. Only sold it it due to extreme financial hardship.

Yep. Picked it up in 2000 or so. Went from a Ruger P90, to a S&W 686, to a Beretta 96, then a Glock 22, Glock 31, Glock 24c, and finally picked up the Walther P99 in .40 S&W. Perfect blend of size, accuracy, capacity, looks, trigger, and overall package for carry.

Finally found my holy grail of carry pistols.

Had it for about 5 years, then got in a bad auto accident and lost everything, including most of my left elbow. Finally was able to settle the lawsuit and start picking up the pieces of my life in 2007. By then, Walther had replaced my beloved P99 with a cartoonish monstrosity that I found hideous.

View attachment 826925
I too miss the P99. It's the only plastic fantastic I regret having to sell.
l messed up and sold my full sized P99 several years back, but replaced it almost immediately w a SW99.
My P99c was EDC up until 2019 when l made the (not huge) jump to HK... l still have it, the SW99, and my first carry Walther, a PPS "Classic" (M1) in .40. The P99 is shockingly underappreciated.

I would also love to see the P99, perhaps even a steel frame version. It's fridging impossible to find a new P99 that's less than a grand, right now.

I don't get, the PPQ and PDP are just an evolved P99, why all the P99 love but PPQ/PDP hate?

Read all about it in the March 2021 American Rifleman. $649. 4 1/2# trigger. 1.5" groups average. Too bad they don't offer it in....

Except for $$$, what was wrong with the P88? Not enough scallops, serrations, notches, 24/7 Tacticoat and multi-optics mounts?

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 5.34.21 PM.png

Last Edited:
I don't get, the PPQ and PDP are just an evolved P99, why all the P99 love but PPQ/PDP hate?
No hate here. I love my 5" PPQ, AND I'm diggin' the PDP. All are winners in my opinion.
I've been kicking around the idea of having the 5" Q milled for an RMR, but instead of potentially screwing up a fantastic gun, l may just go w a new PDP. As l said in an earlier post, the PDP turns out to be a Walther wish-list gun for me... an upgraded TAC 4 w/out the threaded barrel.
If l could afford a steel Q5, l'd be on a waiting list right now.

Last Edited:
No hate for the PPQ, just no love. I prefer the aesthetic of the original P99, and even the AS, over the PPQ. Plus, the P99 had SA/DA with a decocker. None of the newer ones have that feature. I may end up with a PDP eventually if I can't get a P99.

That's one of it's best features, IMO. I have no idea why they left that technology behind.

Even the early Turkish copycat Canik TP9s had the decocker... mine doesn't, but it's not that old.

Canik went thru growing pains with their decocker. Left it completely decocked, not DA.

They have a newish one out now, year or so old IIRC, want to give it a look see. TP9 DA. True DA/SA.

Really pleased with the TP9SF's we already own.

That's one of it's best features, IMO. I have no idea why they left that technology behind.

Even the early Turkish copycat Canik TP9s had the decocker... mine doesn't, but it's not that old.
Taurus's 247/809/TH9 series all have DA/SA with decocker. Heck, my '70s era Makarov even does. I don't get why all the manufacturers aren't making them that way.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top