JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been considering several new carry guns lately. On the top of my list was the Kahr P45 (mostly due to a great deal, but has since fallen through), and the Glock 36.

I love the way the P45 feels in my hand, it is the best feeling pistol I've held yet (for my hand). However firing it wasn't the best. With it being so light it had much more kick than I am used to, and while I could probably get used to it, I don't want to buy a defense gun without being sure of all aspects.

The Glock 36 was an easy out. Once I held it, even with it being "slim", it was still to thick lengthwise for my hand.

I visited a gun store today and looked at several other options. I handled a .44 magnum, but I'm not really want a revolver for my everyday carry. I looked at a Sig .40/.357sig and it was nice, but seemed a bit to bulky for what I am wanting. That led me to the Walther PPS .40. I liked the way it fit in my hand, and it seemed to have a good weight (unloaded). I liked the fact that it has interchangeable grips on the back (thicker and thinner), I like the fact that it has floor plate extensions as an option, and I love how thin it is.

One of my main concerns is the "peoples" reviews on it seem to indicate that when it first came out, and a bit after, it had some FTF and FTE problems. One guy even reported his trigger wouldn't return to the firing position. I've also read reviews were people love it and put thousands of rounds through without issue. I do not want a gun that "may work" when I need it to.

I've read the "professional" reviews on it and people really seem to like it. I've heard them say "This could be used in a one gun household" many times.

Does anyone here have one? What have been your experiences? Do you feel you have enough firepower with 5-7 rounds of .40 SW (per mag)? Do you carry it concealed on a daily basis? Anything else I should know?

I've been considering several new carry guns lately. On the top of my list was the Kahr P45 (mostly due to a great deal, but has since fallen through), and the Glock 36.

I love the way the P45 feels in my hand, it is the best feeling pistol I've held yet (for my hand). However firing it wasn't the best. With it being so light it had much more kick than I am used to, and while I could probably get used to it, I don't want to buy a defense gun without being sure of all aspects.

The Glock 36 was an easy out. Once I held it, even with it being "slim", it was still to thick lengthwise for my hand.

I visited a gun store today and looked at several other options. I handled a .44 magnum, but I'm not really want a revolver for my everyday carry. I looked at a Sig .40/.357sig and it was nice, but seemed a bit to bulky for what I am wanting. That led me to the Walther PPS .40. I liked the way it fit in my hand, and it seemed to have a good weight (unloaded). I liked the fact that it has interchangeable grips on the back (thicker and thinner), I like the fact that it has floor plate extensions as an option, and I love how thin it is.

One of my main concerns is the "peoples" reviews on it seem to indicate that when it first came out, and a bit after, it had some FTF and FTE problems. One guy even reported his trigger wouldn't return to the firing position. I've also read reviews were people love it and put thousands of rounds through without issue. I do not want a gun that "may work" when I need it to.

I've read the "professional" reviews on it and people really seem to like it. I've heard them say "This could be used in a one gun household" many times.

Does anyone here have one? What have been your experiences? Do you feel you have enough firepower with 5-7 rounds of .40 SW (per mag)? Do you carry it concealed on a daily basis? Anything else I should know?

I loved my PPS in 9mm....Never had an issue with it. The trigger was a bit rough but it got better over time. I ended up selling it...The problem is that I never carried it because I had the S&W J frame in Scandium and the PPS felt heavy in comparison!
The 40 is rumored to be more finicky than the 9mm...check out the PPS forum here:
http://ppstalk.com/forum/

i looked at the pps but ended up getting a kahr p9 b/c of the support for night sights and holsters. it was definitely a trade off. would prefer a pps but what can you do. night sights are a necessity for ccw at night. round count...not so much an issue. if you can't do it in 5-7 rounds, you're either a bad shot or you've got a bubble gum plan.

i looked at the pps but ended up getting a kahr p9 b/c of the support for night sights and holsters. it was definitely a trade off. would prefer a pps but what can you do. night sights are a necessity for ccw at night. round count...not so much an issue. if you can't do it in 5-7 rounds, you're either a bad shot or you've got a bubble gum plan.

No night sights available for the PPS? Also Crossbreeds has a holster for the PPS, and Ross has a shoulder holster for it.

EDIT: I see there are some night sights available.

I've got two of them one in 9mm and another in .40 S&W, and have found the PPS to be a reliable, accurate, and easy-to-conceal handgun. While it's not my favorite Walther of all time, it certainly is high on the list -- especially when judged with the modern stuff that's on the market. If you are searching for a concealed-carry pistol, I'd definitely keep it on my short list and give it a decent range run, just to compare it with other pistols that strike your fancy.

Last Edited:
The PPS is a great pistol, however it has very poor resale value and is hard to move if you need/want to sell it later. If you want one, buy a lightly used pre-owned gun and save at least of hundred bucks.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top