JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Who underrated the PPK? I always thought they were a great gun. Have you shot the P-64 Polish in 9X18 Makarov? A clone of the PPK but around $179.00
at a gun show. There is a website dedicated to the P-64 where you can buy a better spring so the double action trigger pull is easier.
By the way; years ago I owned a Walther P-38 WWII vintage which was the sweetest weapon since the 1911 but way too big to carry of course.
The P-64 will snakebite the **** out of you if you have a fat hand.
You are a **** of a lot better shot than I am!

I had a PPK back in 93, nice quality but there are definitely better pistols out there now. Kahr PM9 has better caliber, trigger, weight, size and has less recoil.. For its day it was a great pistol. Now, its been overshadowed by modern developments. SMC-380 is a good clone at half the price though.

I'm not sure I agree with the "hammer down, safety off" carry method UNLESS one trains to sweep the safety down anyway every time the gun is drawn. I don't like manual safety DA guns for that reason- the safety is just an extra step in the process that one MUST train with. If you train to keep the safety off and not touch it during the draw, there will be that one instance where the safety gets bumped into the "safe" position and without the muscle memory to take the safety off you're left fumbling with your weapon.

Another thought I had- what internal safeties are active when the gun is in the "hammer down, safety off" mode? Firing pin safety? Hammer block? Just thinking about drop safety in that carry mode.

Great review though, my James Bond love has always made the PPK special to me too. (I own all the dvd's and watch them often :) )

So instead of one of the greatest guns ever it is thee greatest gun ever?
Don't get the underrated part.
Always heard very good reviews on the PPK
How many people do you know that carry a PPK?
How many departments do yu know that approve the PPK as an off duty weapon?
How many times do you see the PPK mntioned when people mention their most accurate weapons?
How many PPK based threads do you ever see on a gun forum where at least half of the threads aren't bashing the PPK as a jam-o-matic hand biter?

My stainless PPK(s) is my daily carry gun. Occasionally, I will take the Smith 60 3", but it is bulkier, and if you leave it behind, you have left your behind. The Walther has even replaced my Browning Nomad (4" .22 auto) as my sidearm when hunting big game (used for rabbits, grouse, and finishing shots). It is at least as accurate as that fine .22. Flawlessly reliable, safe, and works great in a inside-belt holster or ankle holster, just as it does in it's regular home: a Bianchi pancake. I have big hands (but not ham-handed),and so have not experienced any discomfort (or injury) shooting it. Federal Hyda-shok is the regular diet. Chrono'd faster than anything else, more accurate than anything else, and perfect expansion with no separation.

Driving to work one day a few years ago, I saw Mister Coyote mousing in a field. (Oh, Man! wish I had a gun!) Then I realized I had a very good gun. I let off the gas, then thought better, accelerated back to hiway speed, and pulled over about 500 yards down the road. Traipsed across the hiway, and hit the brush, working back to the inattentive breakfaster. When I cleared the brushline, he was still out there. I sat down with the Walther, the dog raised his head to look at me, I cocked the hammer for single-action pull, let the front sight settle just below his chin, and touched that sweet trigger. Sounded like a .30-06 smacking a mule deer. He spun, ran about 10 yards until his extension cord pulled out of the wall, down and done. 85 yard shot, and I was fully confident when I let it go. Admittedly, that is the full extent of my combat experience with that gun.

I just threw a video up on youtube detailing my Walther PPK and how I feel it is one of the most underrated gun on the market today. Check it out if you are considering buying one or are just a fellow lover of the PPK.

YouTube - Walther PPK Review: A very underrated firearm

Agree with your superb review-PPK is very accurate, conceals well. Don't understand why it's so underrated, or the negativity about it-probably due to all the James Bond hype or maybe its German(gasp!)ancestry.

As far as worries about its stopping power-recall that among world's police agencies and military sidearms the measly .32 ACP/7.65 was the most common caliber before, during and after the war until the 1960s.

Anyway, here's my Interarms/Ranger PPK-a real keeper:

PPK4exprt-1.jpg

I've the the exact same gun GED and I love mine. I've had it since 1993 and never had a single issue with it. It's heavier then some of the newer guns but very dependable and a gun that I feel comfortable/safe carrying loaded. As for stopping power, with the right ammo I have no concern with it being effective.

The only think that I would like to add to mine is a nice set of custom wood grips, but I haven't found any I really love yet.

Rich

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads