JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a new carry/nightstand/range pistol for my wife. We rented a few over Memorial weekend and she really like the new single stack Walther grips. Pulling the slide back has always been a struggle for her so we have settled on either the Walther PK380 or Walther CCP. She shot the CCP last after over an hour of rentals and didn't really remember it. She has only handled the PK380, not shot it yet. Hopefully somebody here has shot both and can offer an opinion.

Thanks

I have both and prefer the PK380. I don't like how the CCP feels or shoots. It is supposed to have "soft recoil" but I think it's one of the worst of all my guns. It's not for me....however your wife may love it. Best thing is to have here try shooting both and compare. It's an individual preference.

Slightly off topic...my wife struggled with racking the slide. The concept shown in this video helped her a lot

.308 is exactly right, him and Lena of course, I've helped a number of women at ranges and gun shows and such.
It was good to know because my hands and wrists are so damaged from working with them for 55 years that I have to use that technique often these days.:)

I have read a lot of positive feedback about the PK380. We will just have to get used to the European safety and magazine release. That is why I liked the CCP with its normal controls. Of course she wants a stainless steel slide with a purple frame, so it could be awhile before I find one.

Since I don't think Walther makes that combination you may want to look at the SCCY CPX 1. It's a 9mm, but comes in a lot of colors. It has a thumb safety (I don't think the CPX 2 or 3 do). It's supposed to be very concealable and reasonably priced. Slide operation is supposed to be easy for all.

Never shot a PPK... based on wife's experience with CCP ( magazine ejected with all rounds falling out of magazine due to spring/baseplate failure)... I'd go with the PPK... Not a big fan of CCP takedown system either.

I wouldn't recommend either. I looked the CCP over pretty well a couple of months ago and altho it's a decent enough pistol, they've still got some kinks to work out. It (the CCP) and the PK380 and PK22 are made by Umarex...not my go-to guys for a serious defensive pistol. Look at a PPS. The PPS M2 has the American-style mag release, and they're the Walther quality you'd expect.

If mama wants a .380, Bersa and Kahr are solid options, and the LCP comes in colors. Likewise the EAA Witness Pavona which is also available in 9mm and .40.

I think she would like the Witness...it was designed for women with women on the team.

Last Edited:
My 54 year old woman hands have trouble racking the slide on the Pavona. My personal .380 is a Sig P238 and my CC 9 is a Sig P938. I have the seven round mags with extended grip. I decided early on that I didn't want colorful guns. A personal choice based on a lot of target shooting. Gun powder is still black and the colors can stain or not come clean. I have a friend that has the Ruger group of purple pistols, but she doesn't shoot much and her hubby does the cleaning. Just things to look at. :)

I have had a few of the PPK series and they are all robust and reliable. Th S/W has a few 'Improvements" that make a good gun better, but they are .380 so you do loose a bit of punch! I have heard mixed things about the Bersa Thunder, but I have no experience with it to pass on. I just acquired a Beretta Cougar 9 mm and it seems to work really well, BUT, it is bigger the the Walther. My wife absolutely LOVES her S/W Shield, and I must admit, I did give that a serious look before I got the Beretta! You might consider looking at the Beretta series of small frame pistols, the 8000 and 9000 series as well as the series 70 and 75, all good units with solid records! There ire also the Small frame Glocks to consider as well, but again, I have not experienced them!

I am looking for a new carry/nightstand/range pistol for my wife. We rented a few over Memorial weekend and she really like the new single stack Walther grips. Pulling the slide back has always been a struggle for her so we have settled on either the Walther PK380 or Walther CCP. She shot the CCP last after over an hour of rentals and didn't really remember it. She has only handled the PK380, not shot it yet. Hopefully somebody here has shot both and can offer an opinion.

Thanks
YOU? ( "I am looking for...")
Let your wife pick the gun SHE likes.
Nobody else. I can handle anything under a 44 mag,so I'm not,as others are not the people to ask.
SHE weds to pick HER gun
Oh,by the way.... Is she willing to kill someone?
No not the politically correct term 'stop the threat'
Ask her if she is willing to actually kill(use that term) someone
If the answer is "no" then I would recommend she doesn't carry.

I'd buy the Walther PK380 with one change...
...it would be changed to a Bersa 380 CC.;)

Bersa OMG no! Her first pistol was a Bersa Thunder 380 and I got a 380CC to carry so we could have interchangeable ammo and magazines. Both had frequent FTE, FTF and double feed stoppages. You needed to use Buffalo Bore +p ammo to get them to cycle 100%. She did not like that direct blowback slamming her thumb joint all the time either.

The slide stop on my 380CC was very weak. Once at the range under a yellow flag (mags out, unloaded, action open and pointed down range) my Bersa CC slammed its slide shut all by itself. Made everyone around me jump. We sold both of those Bersas.

YOU? ( "I am looking for...")
Let your wife pick the gun SHE likes.
Nobody else. I can handle anything under a 44 mag,so I'm not,as others are not the people to ask.
SHE weds to pick HER gun
Oh,by the way.... Is she willing to kill someone?
No not the politically correct term 'stop the threat'
Ask her if she is willing to actually kill(use that term) someone
If the answer is "no" then I would recommend she doesn't carry.

She will pick, but asked me to narrow the choices down. As I said, the first pistol she picked for herself was a disaster. Her second, a Ruger LCR38 was a bit snappy with full power loads so I got her the longer Houge grip that is used on the 3" LCRx (see below). It is light enough to carry, but she ended up putting it in her purse (holster and all) because of printing. Finally she bought herself a Kel-Tec P32 that she can carry appendix. Since the 32acp is not a man stopper she wanted a larger and more powerful yet controllable pistol. God bless rental ranges because we eliminated several guns that looked good on paper. I think we are settled on the PK380, I just can't find a purple/stainless one in stock anywhere.

I showed her the video of the Florida Dollar General kidnapping attempt and asked her what she would do if some creep tried to take our six year old. Without hesitation she answered "Shoot him in the face". We have gone over scenarios before and she has carryed for a few years already.

Houge1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads