JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I own 2 P99s, 1 is AS in 9mm and the other is 1st gen in .40 (so basically AS)

I noticed that seeing walther pistols for sale on this forum is pretty rare, and I dont see many people talking about them. I love my P99s and I think they shoot well. So what gives?

-DrCox

They were expensive because of the dollar/euro exchange rate, and the first batches had issues that gave them a bad reputation that stuck long after the issues were fixed.

BUT, now the design has been licensed to Magnum Research Inc. (MRI) and the P99 Walther is reborn as the MR Eagle in both 9mm and .40. Frames are still made by Walther but slides and parts are now made in America where the gun is assembled---and it really looks great! There is a big writeup of the new gun in the March issue of Shooting Times...........................elsullo

I had a P99c that I sold because it was too short; I don't like shooting w/ a two finger grip so I bought a Glock 19. The P99 is a very well made gun that also suffered from being badge engineered into the S&W SW99. The P99 is a very popular police & military handgun in Europe, but the fact that they sell in the US for hundreds more than a compairable Glock probably does not help their sales much. Only HK can sell their hyper expensive German made plastic guns (in very limited numbers compaired to the Glock) to their dedicated fan base.

I just sold a full size 9 with the AS trigger on this forum and still have a P99c that I'll never sell. I loved the full size and it was a fantastic gun but I like my HK P7s better and have a large collection of them. My first P99 was the S&W version and it was also a great pistol but I traded that for a M&P9c. Also had a S&W99 in 45acp but that one didn't last long, recoil was a bit brutal and it had some feed issues.The Walther compact I kept is carried every day as a backup in an ankle rig. Light, extremely accurate and dependable. Couldn't ask for a better compact. Walther is coming out with a new model called the PPQ which looks like a cross between a HK P30 and a Glock. Not sure of pricing but hopefully it will be more in line with what S&W prices are like.

QUOTE=DrCox;364063]I own 2 P99s, 1 is AS in 9mm and the other is 1st gen in .40 (so basically AS)

I noticed that seeing walther pistols for sale on this forum is pretty rare, and I dont see many people talking about them. I love my P99s and I think they shoot well. So what gives?

-DrCox[/QUOTE]

I've noticed the lack of Walther P99 action on this site also so I meander over to a Walther forum daily to see what's new. I recently bought a barely used P99c and my first round out of the gate the slide would come forward after a round down the tube. Turns out that was why the guy sold it. Sent it to Smith (they paid all the 3 day shipping both ways) and I had it back in a couple weeks repaired with No charges. I got a great deal on this model (with the ambi slide release and NO import markings) even with the hassle of shipping back and I couldn't love it more for fit and finish.

Amazingly, the Glock talk guys make it over there too :s0155::s0155:

I own a 1st Gen in .40S&W. It was my first pistol and still shoots magnificently. Although my current favorite handgun is my M&P9, I still enjoy shooting my P99 and will never sell it.

I had a Walther P990 in .40. I did not care for the long trigger pull of the 990 series, but everything else was great. It was even marked Walther on both the frame and slide...no S&W anywhere. If it had not had the DAO trigger I would still have it today.

I had a Walther P990 in .40. I did not care for the long trigger pull of the 990 series, but everything else was great. It was even marked Walther on both the frame and slide...no S&W anywhere. If it had not had the DAO trigger I would still have it today.

Did your long trigger pull include the "ready" spot in the trigger? On my 99 AS (and the first gen 99) there is a spot in the trigger pull where it clicks slightly, this is a small distance away from the actual point at which it fires the weapon. After this click you can remove your finger from the trigger and it will remain in this ready state. When I am shooting I never seem to use the full length of the trigger pull after the first shot, just hang out in the short pull range. You should try out one of the new 99s in AS. The QA I do not like, and feature that really long trigger pull I think you are speaking of.

Did your long trigger pull include the "ready" spot in the trigger? On my 99 AS (and the first gen 99) there is a spot in the trigger pull where it clicks slightly, this is a small distance away from the actual point at which it fires the weapon. After this click you can remove your finger from the trigger and it will remain in this ready state. When I am shooting I never seem to use the full length of the trigger pull after the first shot, just hang out in the short pull range. You should try out one of the new 99s in AS. The QA I do not like, and feature that really long trigger pull I think you are speaking of.

The 990 I had was just a looong DAO trigger pull w/o any of the attributes of the "QA" or "AS". I have a friend w/ the S&W version (SW99) and I like the trigger pull on his (I believe his has the "AS" type of trigger).

Yeah I had an SW99, same functions. Strangely though I find the walthers more attractive then thier Smith cousins...I know its practically the same gun but it does look differentin some ways. :)

I agree there are minor diffferences in the cosmetics of the two. I was kind of fond of mine because it was all Walther both slide and frame. It had Walther USA on it also. I got it with one Walther mag and night sights for $299.00 no box, paperwork, grip replacements, or anything. It came from CDNN and was listed as used police trade in. It looked unfired. If it would have had any other action other than the DAO i would have kept it.

I have been thinking of selling my SW99 and have been looking around to get an idea of the price to sell it for and if I should sell it at all.
The SW99 was my first firearm and recently I have added a Sig Scorpion to the list and I was thinking of selling this one to make up some of the cost of the new one before it arrives.
the condition is almost new and I would guess that I have shot about 300 rounds through it since new.

Does anyone have any insight they would care to share with me on this decision making process?

Sorry if I am hijacking this post but I had the same question as I was not finding very many of these around for sale.

Thank you

I have been thinking of selling my SW99 and have been looking around to get an idea of the price to sell it for and if I should sell it at all.
The SW99 was my first firearm and recently I have added a Sig Scorpion to the list and I was thinking of selling this one to make up some of the cost of the new one before it arrives.
the condition is almost new and I would guess that I have shot about 300 rounds through it since new.

Does anyone have any insight they would care to share with me on this decision making process?

Sorry if I am hijacking this post but I had the same question as I was not finding very many of these around for sale.

Thank you

============================================================================

I paid $425 for my SW99 from a fellow forum member 18 months ago, it was like new condition.

I don't think I would sell it for much less, I would suggest a price of between $400 to $450 is reasonable.

@ gunnails.
Thank you for your response.
I was thinking that would be the right amount to ask for it if I were to decide to sell it.
One thing I am always afraid of when selling a firearm is finding out later that it is a hot gun but I was thinking that in this case there mus be so many of these in circulation that it is worth what it is worth used at a gun store maybe a little less.