JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the on-going saga of inheriting and cleaning up firearms from my late brother and father in laws... we found a Walther P22. This gun has sat for at least the better part of 10 years, in its case, uncleaned. There was some mildew on it, but the slide has corrosion. The steel parts like the screws that hold the safety on, were badly rusted. Not being super up on rimfire pistols - I thought the Walther had an aluminum slide, but after cleaning the mildew off...it looks like a corroded penny - is the slide on this gun zinc? I had to take the safety levers off to free the actual mechanism up before the safety would even budge. Needs a good soak in ATF, I'm pretty sure. The corrosion seems contained to just the rear of the slide, which is nice. I haven't taken the thread protector off the barrel yet, its on there pretty tight.

My wife was really happy to have found this one - we're not sure if it was her dad's or her brothers, as it was actually found in a stack of stuff her parents had put in her old bedroom as they have worked on cleaning out and going through things. Guessing it was her brothers, but her dad liked rimfire stuff - so we're just not sure. She really likes the ergos of this gun, and its her pistol now. We've got about 800 rounds of .22LR sitting around, so she's got plenty of stuff to shoot it with - thankfully most of it is heavier stuff, which has seemed to work best in other .22 pistols we've owned.

IbKEcYD.jpg

Are there any quirks or issues I need to be concerned about with this gun, other than the stuff I've already identified?

We picked up one so the beautiful, but diminutive, adult in this household could practice with a smaller piece (P22) with a mind to her actual (and current) carry gun (P99). It has worked in this regard. And it has been fun suppressed, shot by her wacky, cigar-chomping marido.

waltherpewcigar-jpg-jpg.jpg

I have to say that I've been a P99 fan for a long time. Used to own a .40 cal version. I loved everything about it, except the caliber :D This gun really does feel great ergonomically. My wife really loved the feel of it too, and while she hates how it came into our possession, she's glad to have it. Even our 8 year old can get a good solid shooting grip on it, and I think it will be a great trainer for teaching him how to shoot.

Bone up on the locking feature. If I remember correctly, it is possible to lock the pistol permanently. I don't recall how it is done but it turns the pistol into a paperweight. I've never locked mine...

You should be able to get replacement parts for your pistol to get it back in the game.

I enjoy mine. It does everything I want easily and pleasantly. It is a great little recreational pistol that is fun to shoot. It does need a little lube to be at its best. Enjoy.

Put CCI mini mags in mine and carry it in cargo shorts when it's hot.

I have XXL hands and it's still very comfortable.

Any updated pics since it's been 7 months since this thread was started??

Put CCI mini mags in mine and carry it in cargo shorts when it's hot.

I have XXL hands and it's still very comfortable.

Any updated pics since it's been 7 months since this thread was started??

I'll hafta dig it out and get some. Its been cleaned up, but still looks like hell. If it feeds CCI snake shot, it might have a semi-permanent place in the carry rotation now that we're here in Texas. The very first morning on our new property, I chased two copperheads out of my carport :eek: - I'm going to do what I can *not* to kill snakes here, but I'm setting up a 30' exclusion zone around the house for them - if they cross that boundary and won't move, they'll get shot.

The P-22 may not be everyone's favorite but just about anyone can have fun with it. Had mine out on my personal range today to try out some newly purchased ammo - Winchester bulk in the 555 box. I hadn't shot it in so long I had to get reacquainted.

A fellow on YouTube did a video on Winchester's bulk .22 ammo and wasn't too kind. I think he had a bad lot. Once I gave the P-22 some much needed lube the pistol and ammo worked fine.

Until... I saw how bad my groups were. They started out decent. Nothing to brag about but I was good with what I had. Each group got bigger until the 5th one. That one had only 5 of 10 rounds on the target (NRA Slow Fire Pistol 25 yards). I was shooting from 17 - 18 yards.

A look down the barrel showed barely any visible rifling. The bore kinda looks like is coated in silver solder. Time for a good cleaning. My guess is the alloy used in bulk bullets is too soft. Not complaining, just glad I wasn't shooting a rifle and missing everything I should have been nailing.

I got a Walther P22. It's picky about what ammo it likes. The price of the ammo isn't a factor in the equation.

Hint: For me....22LR Remington Golden Bullets are GTG.

See the various YouTube vids on the subject.

Aloha, Mark

I got a Walther P22. It's picky about what ammo it likes. The price of the ammo isn't a factor in the equation.

Hint: For me....22LR Remington Golden Bullets are GTG.

See the various YouTube vids on the subject.

Aloha, Mark
I assume urs is the first version, not p22q (2nd version)? I can't remember the key difference maybe spring weight? it's described in the video below. Perhaps you can get a q version spring for the original model and put in your gun if it's first version.

Fwiw my q version handles every ammo I can throw at it including 10+ year old blazer crap where some of the rounds sounded like a cap gun they were so bad. Reliably cycles with Subsonics such as cci standard velocity and American eagle suppressor and cci suppressor but not with 745 FPS version of cci quiet (non of my semi autos will cycle with that). FYI tandemkross mag extender shown in pic below. Brings ammo capacity from 10 up to 15 and gives better grip (for me). Cost is $26 for 2 at brownells or tandemkross website 9D29FE62-B5A9-46F1-A233-416B326C758F.jpeg

Last Edited:
Mine have seen thousands of rounds, mostly suppressed. When using a suppressor I have had two slides crack from the ejection port down, not a big deal as Walther promptly sent me a new slide each time.

I know that I contacted Walther once, about a replacement spring for my first generation P22. And since I was on the phone, I asked about upgrading to the 2nd gen. captured spring.

They said.....Nope, it wont work.

Whatever. But, they sent me the first gen. replacement spring for free.:)

And, I was also looking for that magazine button (that makes it easier to pull the follower down while loading). None were available from Walther.

Meaning that, I'll probably have to make one for myself out of some scrap brass or steel. But, I have no lathe. So, that project is on the back burner. Or maybe, I'll find a magazine that is trashed.....that I could salvage the button from?

Aloha, Mark

I've got a first gen (it's actually a 2nd gen) and those ppq's are 3rd gen.

I don't expect target pistol groups from it, it's a small gun with a short sight radius.

I can hit good enough with it for what I use it for. Shoots all Ammo I give it, just never tried different stuff at the same time. I do know it's good to go with mini mags.