Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

walther p22 vs sig mosquito

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by PDXGuy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. PDXGuy

PDXGuy Portland Member

Which is a better gun? I'm looking to buy one and would like everyone's opinion.
    I'm leaning towards the sig.

2. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I have not shot a sig but I love my p22

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I think the Sig is a hundred times better looking but I've heard there are some reliability problems.

4. finch6013

If that is the case then I would go with the p22. Mine always works unless it is completely full of carbon and gunk

5. fromotoc

fromotoc Downtown Portland, OR Member

P22, do it, do it now, 5,4,3,2,1

6. pr787lv

pr787lv somewhere in the NW Member

I've shot both, and bought a Mosquito. Both are ok. I liked the Sig better because I am a sucker for Sigs, looked a bit less than a toy, and ergonomically superior. In the reliability department, in approx 400 rd, I've had ~3 jams with Thunderbolt High speed ammo. But I have to admit it was already pretty fouled up with gunk by then. CCI ammo I've heard works fine. Mosquito trigger is very hard in DA, ok in SA, but nothing to call home about. I have a trigger pull gauge and never felt compelled to measure it.

Listen! Before you go for either one, consider Ruger MkII or a MkIII. There is a very extensive after market for it. Please, take my advise. Take your time and check it out. As for the Germans, you will start to be sorry you bought either of them when you shop for a stupid mag. Mosquito comes with one. The second cost me $40. :angry:

7. finch6013

another good reason to go p22. it comes with two mags

8. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

i loved my p22 traded it and i am ready for another one but am considering the mosquito also

9. finch6013

I am enjoying your p22 yotehunter.

10. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

I have a P22, but also want a MK III bad...

Nothing wrong with ruger get one! Mine is very accurate and fun to shoot.

11. aquariumjunky

aquariumjunky Albany, Oregon Active Member

Which ever you get! (I am on my second mosquito) Make sure you get one with a threaded barrol!!! OR you will decide on a can and need another barrel!!! I am waiting on a quote from JCweaponery right now on a barrel so that I can get a can!

Threaded Barrel! And a second thought if you buy used get a recent mosquito the first imports had many more reliability issues the more recent ones if you use good ammo just run! Plus for me it makes a nice practice for my fullsize 226 basically the same controls.

(my thoughts for what they are worth)(.01 if you ask the few on here that know me)

Steven

12. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

I bought a Sig Mosquito and Love it! I guess you can call it an early import as I paid for it back in early '07.

One of the biggest problems I have found talking to other Mosquito owners is that according to the owners manual it was supposed to have left the factory with the standard spring for High velocity ammo. Mine and severals I have talked to found that they were shipped with the spring for sub sonic ammo. This will cause you a problem. If you choose the Sig, make sure you have the right spring for the ammo you are shooting. I had problems at first but went back to the manual and Vooo Lahhh! problem fixed!

When I got Sig it came with 1 mag but got 4 more at $31.00 per and I see the prices have risen since.

I am not stopping there, I too am in the market for a P22 and Mk III.

Hope you enjoy which ever you choose.

SF-

13. PDXGuy

PDXGuy Portland Member

Guys, thanx for all the good opinions and advice. I will pick up my gun tomorrow and will post some pics.

14. PDXGuy

PDXGuy Portland Member

15. hntn&fshn

hntn&fshn Boring Member

OOPS! (J/K :laugh:) I had it narrowed to down to the sig and P22 also. I really wanted the sig because like others here, I am a huge sig fan. However, after much research, I ended up with the Walther. Hopefully you will have better luck than many others have. Let us know how it goes for you. Great looking gun though! :thumbup:

16. gst264

gst264 Independence Member

I shot the sig and didn't care for it. The trigger was rough and it's fairly large.
    Not that it's a bad gun, just not the one for me. I have a P22 and love it! Fits the hand perfectly and is sweet with a Veridian laser and suppressor. I also have a MK II and think highly of it also.

17. cackman

cackman Portland Member

I really liked my P22 until about 3 days ago:(

0201091604.jpg

0201091746-1.jpg

18. finch6013

oooohhh that hurts. How did that happen? was it due to the target compensator?

19. NWMoss

NWMoss Lost, permanently... Member

I like the look on the p22, but I have a friend who cannot for the life of him get it sighted in, he even took it to a gunsmith, and I think to his precinct's armorer! (sp?)

20. finch6013

I seem to have trouble getting mine to pattern well. Then I hear of people who think they are very accurate. Maybe its just user error in my case