JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking about getting a Walther P22 with a suppressor. My first experience with 22lr was less than stellar (used revolver with 5-6 out of 7 failure ratio, CCI ammo, hoping it was just the gun). Anyone have the newer model of this handgun with any input?

Or any input on 22lr handguns in general I could install a suppressor on?

We've had a Walther P22 a long while. We put a can on it some years back:

p22.jpg

Ours runs like a top with any ammo I've used. I like plinking with it suppressed and using Gemtech subsonics.

All that said, I've read some negatives about the P22 on various forums, including this one. I know ours works like a charm, but the reports I've read elsewhere are decidedly mixed. YMMV.

My experience with the P22 was not good. Jam-o-matic. I'm sure there are good ones out there like @CountryGent's but I personally don't like them. Or any other Walther products for that matter. But don't let my bias influence you.

I recently pick up a Ruger SR22 for the same purpose. I don't have my suppressor yet but..... The reviews I have seen on Youtube have suggested that the SR22 is very similar to the P22 but some what improved to fix the short comings. I will openly admit that I am trusting what I have seen online and don't really know what those short coming are. So far, in very limited testing, the SR22 does seem to work with CCI Standard Velocity (which is sub sonic) without any problems. Hopefully, in the next couple of months my suppressor will be out of jail and I will have more first hand knowledge.

The Ruger Mk IV and Browning Buckmark would be the top tier choices.

I've also heard really good things about the M&P .22C, and the Ruger SR22.

The full size M&P .22 and Walther P22 tend to fall behind all of the above choices, from what I've read.

I'd contact @LuckySG and see if he has any Ruger Mk IV Lites available. That would be my #1 recommendation, and was also my first choice for a suppressor host.

Ruger® Mark IV™ 22/45™ Lite Rimfire Pistol Models

Here's a good example:
maxresdefault (2).jpg

Last Edited:
We've had a Walther P22 a long while. We put a can on it some years back:

View attachment 476001

Ours runs like a top with any ammo I've used. I like plinking with it suppressed and using Gemtech subsonics.

All that said, I've read some negatives about the P22 on various forums, including this one. I know ours works like a charm, but the reports I've read elsewhere are decidedly mixed. YMMV.

Mine is the same way - stupidly reliable with any ammo. I just haven't put a suppressor on it.

The full size M&P .22 and Walther P22 tend to fall behind all of the above choices, from what I've read.

I'd contact @LuckySG and see if he has any Ruger Mk IV Lites available. That would be my #1 recommendation, and was also my first choice for a suppressor host.
I can vouch for seeing the first three in action and run flawless. I have a few Mark IVs on hand, but only in the Davidson's exclusive colors. They are a fantastic choice to marry a can to. Good luck with whatever direction you choose to go!

My experience with the P22 was not good. Jam-o-matic. I'm sure there are good ones out there like @CountryGent's but I personally don't like them. Or any other Walther products for that matter. But don't let my bias influence you.
Was your model the older version of the P22 like @CountryGent. Or was it the newer one plinkster22 did a review on where they claimed to fix the issues? I like from what I have seen on the rugersr22 but no idea how it compares for reliability. I accept that 22lr might have some issues but I wanna make sure the gun has minimal issues.

Was your model the older version of the P22 like @CountryGent. Or was it the newer one plinkster22 did a review on where they claimed to fix the issues? I like from what I have seen on the rugersr22 but no idea how it compares for reliability. I accept that 22lr might have some issues but I wanna make sure the gun has minimal issues.

CountryGents is the new model. The old one looked like a rectangle that someone cut a gun from.

As far as I know there isn't a newer polymer model.

Mine has a good trigger and a 4 yr old could rack the slide.

I've been shooting a Smith and Wesson Model 41 for many years and when WA began allowing cans I put one on it. Could not be happier. I have seen a number of the P-22s and they seem to be of one kind or another. They either jam or they don't. Good Luck with your choice.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about whether a .22LR pistol will cycle subsonics or not.

With a <5" barrel, even bulk high velocity ammo should stay subsonic.

*Edit*

I did have a P22 many years ago, and it ran well. I never had a chance to suppress it, but I don't remember having any major problems with it.

Ruger® Mark IV™ 22/45™ Lite Rimfire Pistol Models

Here's a good example:
View attachment 476004
Oh my I like what I see. Price is reasonable too. Have you hear any input on reliability in terms of misfires or FTF? If the reliability is markedly better I'll seriously consider one of those instead.

My Ruger Mk II has been one of my most accurate and most reliable pistols for many, many years.

I haven't played with the Mk IV much yet, but I have no reason to believe it will be any different.
I'll start looking into those lite models. Would love the same setup as that image, host suppressor and red dot combo.

Mine was the older model. And it just plain stunk. I couldn't get through a mag without issues. Tried many different ammo brands. No joy. So I dumped it. And I know I'm not the only one that has had issues with the Walther. I was never particularly a Walther fan to begin with, so I wasn't heart broken to clear it from the safe.

just my .02

id rather have a ruger mark iv 22/45 lite than a walther p22 any day.

the walther i shot jammed a lot. no matter what ammo, suppressed or not, clean or not.

I'll start looking into those lite models. Would love the same setup as that image, host suppressor and red dot combo.
Here's mine (sans suppressor):
IMG_20180706_215212959.jpg
I didn't care much for how high the RMR sat once you stack a mount on top of the rail, so I removed the rail and went with a direct screw mount.

Only another month or two before it will finally be complete!
:s0023:

I think Walthers have a nice grip. That's. About. It. Know of any LEO or military contracts with them? Stateside anyway? Nope.