Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Walnut M1A stock

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by moriarty689, Sep 17, 2011.

1. moriarty689

moriarty689 Oregon New Member

Ok so I have a SOCOM II and I've decided that I'm not fond of the plastic. My plan is to get a nice walnut stock and ditch the rail thingy. My question is, should I go USGI and live with the selector switch cutout, or go with a Boyds. The Boyds are slightly oversize, which doesn't make me overjoyed. Thinking about taking sandpaper to it then finishing it myself.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this, what you'd recommend, and any tips.

Replacement Stocks for SPRINGFIELD M1A

M14 wood rifle stock

2. Ownerus

Ownerus South Clackamas Co. Active Member

To me the oversize stocks I've handled on newer M1As just feel bulky. I prefer the GI stock (course that's what I'm used to also). If you're used to the GI fiberglass stock, the difference is even more pronounced. I'd get the GI stock and fill the selector cutout with a small piece of walnut.

3. FA9

FA9 Hillsburrito, ORgun Well-Known Member

4. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

There a re a lot of used M1A stocks floating around, some are GI with the cutout. You can fill the cutout with wood or putty or even put a fake selector in it. I put a selector in my GI glass stock, fills the cut out nicely. This pic doesn't show it all that well but you get the idea.

crop5.jpg