JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
And some people think daily carry is rediculous...

I shop there for a few things that are just so much cheaper then other stores - I'm really glad I wasn't there on these crutches; I can wait to be walking again so I can carry.

Wyoming man ID'd as Wal-Mart shooting suspect

Clark County sheriff's deputies quickly detained a Wyoming man who they say opened fire inside the Hazel Dell Wal-Mart early Wednesday morning. No one was shot or injured during the incident.

Law enforcement swarmed the Wal-Mart, 9000 N.E. Highway 99, just before 7 a.m. when a 911 caller reported an active shooter at the store, Clark County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Fred Neiman said.

The man was reportedly firing shots near the Subway restaurant, which is inside the store near the front entrance, Neiman said.

Arriving deputies entered the store and quickly detained the accused gunman, Shaun Michael Sprague, 35, of Gillette, Wyo., without further incident, Neiman said. He was arrested on suspicion of first-degree assault and booked into the Clark County Jail.

After they had Sprague in custody, law enforcement searched the store for potential victims and possible accomplices, but none were located, Neiman said.

The store had been open for about an hour when the shooting occurred; employees and shoppers either evacuated the store or sheltered in place by hiding and locking themselves inside, Neiman said.

"It sounds like they did the right thing," he said.

Jake Bodle, a Subway employee working at the Hazel Dell location Wednesday, said that he spoke with Sprague prior to the shooting.

While Bodle was outside smoking, Sprague approached him and asked him for a cigarette. Bodle declined. Sprague then came into the store and told Bodle he wanted a sandwich. Bodle said they weren't open yet, but said he'd make him one when they got up and running.

Bodle then heard Sprague ask "if there was a cop shop nearby," which he said he found odd.

"I went back in the back … when I came back out, I saw him pull out the gun, and he started shooting," said Bodle, who said he was about 40 feet away. "He was not aiming at anybody in particular, just firing randomly out in the aisles."

He said that Sprague didn't seem upset, but that it appeared to him that he may have had some mental health issues. Bodle ran to the back area again as he heard six or seven gunshots ring out.

"At first, I just thought, 'Is this happening?' " he said. "He could come back and kill me at any point."

He said he tried to call 911 but couldn't get through. A manager at Wal-Mart, Bodle said, did get through though. He said deputies arrived within five to 10 minutes.

"They took him down pretty quickly," Bodle said. "They told him to get on the ground, and he put the gun down like he expected to be arrested."

Bodle said that his boss let him take the rest of the day off, which he spent with his 4-year-old daughter.

"We're just really fortunate that this just wasn't a worst situation," he said.

James Kancewick, 28, was in the store shopping when he heard what sounded like a pallet drop. Then he heard several more in quick succession and peeked around the corner.

"There were two employees hunkered down moving toward, I guess, the safe room," he said. "I don't really know the store that well, so I went to back away from where I heard the gunfire and followed the employees into the back room."

Kancewick said he thought it might be a drill, but he didn't want to risk it and remained in the room full of nervous people while he tried to stay calm.

When police secured the scene and Kancewick left the store, he said he saw a revolver and a knife on the ground near the Subway restaurant.

The shooting created a tense morning for shoppers, employees working inside and their loved ones.

Colby Bell was awake and at home when he got a text message from his wife, Wal-Mart employee Sierra Bell, 19, about the shooting. He tried to call, but she didn't answer.

Colby Bell said that all he could think was, "please be OK and answer my damn calls," he said. "I need to make sure everything's OK, that's my wife. I love this woman and there could be something wrong with her."

His wife then responded with another text that said she couldn't talk and that she was supposed to be silent.

Colby Bell said the texts he got from his wife read: "I heard three shots and we are in lockdown, cops are here and caught the guy … I am OK though," he said.

Colby Bell put some clothes on and drove straight to the Wal-Mart. He said he's happy his wife was OK and added that it put him at ease to see so many officers on the scene, searching cars and making sure everything was safe.

"There's a plethora of good cops here that are doing their job, working really hard and doing exactly what they're supposed to do," he said. "I really appreciate that."

When Sierra Bell finally exited the store, she was met with a big hug from her husband.

The Hazel Dell store re-opened following the incident, and corporate communications for Wal-Mart issued the following statement:

"This is an awful situation. Thankfully, our associates and customers are safe and no one was injured. We are grateful to our management team for their quick thinking in getting customers and associates out of harm's way, and to the police for their swift action in stopping the suspect."

Detectives with the Clark County Major Crimes Unit remained on scene throughout the morning and into the early afternoon, collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses.

Neiman said that law enforcement have a plan in place for an active-shooter situation and that Wednesday's incident went as well as it could.

"It's something we train for and prepare for but that we hope never actually happens," he said.

"He said he tried to call 911 but couldn't get through. A manager at Wal-Mart, Bodle said, did get through though. He said deputies arrived within five to 10 minutes."

You ask why do I carry? This is a pretty good reason...

.....asked if there was a cop shop nearby....

???

Just goes to show you that the armed and crazy want nothing to do with others that might be armed - and shoot back.

IE: why don't they ever go into police stations and start shooting???

This guy obviously had a few screws loose.
But this couldn't be a better story of why to carry everywhere, everyday. Just random crazy person shooting for no reason.
Called 911 couldn't get through.
Cops showed up about 5-10mins later!
The killing is done by then!

Cops usually don't prevent crime they take reports on it.

Which do you want?
A LEO making a report about how you died?
A LEO making a report about how you survived?

On a side note, a guy mentioned hearing what sounded like a pallet falling.

When I moved to kentucky I first had a temp job working in a warehouse. Some guy got fired for speaking poorly of gays, and so on. As they walked him out he mentioned coming back to shoot up the place.
Oddly enough, this guy had a few rocks short of a gravel pit, and me and another guy were talking to him joking about him being the type of guy to shoot up a workplace, and he starts talking about using AK47s, high cap mags, like he had really thought about it.
So after he got fired and mentioned shooting up the place, we told the manager, then the cops about our conversation with him.

For the next few weeks every time a pallet slapped the floor (which was often) would make everyone jump. It was unnerving.

The question is, who wants to be the one to drop this guy then deal with the fall out? I'm afraid the courts only see this guy as a potential threat. The witnesses say he wasn't aiming at anyone.

The police have the state, lawyers a union behind them and paid leave. The average Joe is going to jail until it can all be sorted out.

"He said he tried to call 911 but couldn't get through. A manager at Wal-Mart, Bodle said, did get through though. He said deputies arrived within five to 10 minutes."

You ask why do I carry? This is a pretty good reason...

I carry, but I also own a fire extinguisher and have life insurance...Who knows maybe I'm just an over prepared nerd.

The question is, who wants to be the one to drop this guy then deal with the fall out? I'm afraid the courts only see this guy as a potential threat. The witnesses say he wasn't aiming at anyone.

The police have the state, lawyers a union behind them and paid leave. The average Joe is going to jail until it can all be sorted out.

Good point but I seriously doubt they would put you in jail for shooting a guy that was actively shooting a gun in what was later determined to be randomly.

Maybe the Vancouver PD would, I'm skeptical withtheir bad rep, but the Clark county sheriff would at the most take your gun as evidence and let you go home until you heard from the prosecutor. Who would not look good trying to put you in jail for potentially saving lives.

Random bullets tend to kill people or gang violence wouldn't be such a major problem.

Just my 2¢ though.

One more reason not to shop at Wally world or Subway for that matter. Why put yourself in a location where the crazies know they fit in? Carry often, and keep your skills sharp and stay safe everyone.

One more reason not to shop at Wally world or Subway for that matter. Why put yourself in a location where the crazies know they fit in? Carry often, and keep your skills sharp and stay safe everyone.

I never shopped there for anything but my financial situation requires it unfortunately....

When I am making more money I will stop supporting them:oops:.

I can think of one right off the top of my head...
That's cute.
But one out of how many? How many can you think of right off the top of your head that occurred at schools? Malls? Neighborhoods? How about military installations even?
This clearly happened because it was Wal-Mart then. Got it.

Yup, at least two now in very recent history... Do we include toddlers killing their mom? Or are those not considered shootings? If so its more than 3 in the past 12 months...

Accidental or negligent obviously have no bearing whatsoever on this topic.

This story, to me, sounds like a down on his luck, homeless simpleton wanting a meal and a dry place to sleep. I don't claim to know what his intentions were, but it doesn't sound like he was trying to kill anyone. It sounds more like he wanted to be arrested and given room and board on our dime.

I'm hoping the Wal-Mart comments are just the usual, Wal-Mart hating, union loving drivel. But folks do seem to be getting less and less logical these days.

If I'm out shopping I'm usually with my family and I wouldn't hesitate to engage someone like this. I don't care if they are not "aiming" at anyone. How did they know?
Rounds will go straight through those cheap aisle separaters, through clothes racks, etc.

With recent shootings, no one will charge you with shooting an active shooter, unless the person didn't have a firearm (which wouldn't be the situation) or you were careless and shot bystanders.

This is sad every time you see this on the news. Unfortunately for the good people in the world I'm afraid these shootings will be come more frequent with all the gun laws there passing. I really hope I am wrong :(

This is sad every time you see this on the news. Unfortunately for the good people in the world I'm afraid these shootings will be come more frequent with all the gun laws there passing. I really hope I am wrong :(
If history is a good indicator you're not wrong. And history is a good indicator.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top